Calling all Vets

One of the bestest right here. ♥

Thank you, hon, but no.

I just finished watching Band of Brothers (again). I've always been struck by the ending:

"Grandpa, were you a hero during the war?"

"No, but I served in a company of heroes."

That's me...not a hero, but served with them.

The universal feeling among combat vets (or at least all I've known). Maybe it's the memory of how scared we were; maybe it's the amazing things we've seen others do; maybe, it's the memory of those who died; maybe, it's all of those. I've always felt more like a survivor, than anything remotely resembling a hero, but I sure served with men who were.
:beer: I was a generator mechanic, a support troop. Although my work supported combat troops, I never went into harm's way myself, and was never likely to.

I have the greatest respect for those who go outside the wire. :salute:

I guess now is the time to ask my question(s).

The bode thread where she was being bashed. I was told no vets here would ever "stick up" for her because she is a lesbian, no matter her service to the country because she's a liar and for me to take note on who was NOT "sticking up" for her. I was too lazy to "make note". So I thought I'd just ask the vets to come here in one thread and if they choose to, respond.
So, vets. Do you believe she is not to be honored as a military vet because she is lesbian and is fodder for attacks here and you will stay silent ONLY because she is a vet that is lesbian? (sorry Bode. But I got tired of the rapid fire pms from someone and wanted to put this to rest once and for all).
You do understand how that got started, correct?

It was Bodey trying to claim that she somehow "finished her career more successfully" than an NCO, simply because she retired an officer.

That is not something a vet says to another vet. That is not something any respectful officer would say to an NCO, for the simple fact that NCO's are the backbone of the military. Without competent NCO's, most officers understand they would be left standing with their dick or tit in their hand looking quite stupid,
IIRC, she said she finished more successfully than YOU, and sensitive little soul that you are you pretended she was talking about all NCOs.

The insult was to you and no one else.

Now wipe your tears and buck up, soldier.

:lol:

The bode thread where she was being bashed. I was told no vets here would ever "stick up" for her because she is a lesbian, no matter her service to the country because she's a liar and for me to take note on who was NOT "sticking up" for her. I was too lazy to "make note". So I thought I'd just ask the vets to come here in one thread and if they choose to, respond.
So, vets. Do you believe she is not to be honored as a military vet because she is lesbian and is fodder for attacks here and you will stay silent ONLY because she is a vet that is lesbian? (sorry Bode. But I got tired of the rapid fire pms from someone and wanted to put this to rest once and for all).

I've thanked her for her service on several occasions.

But being a veteran doesn't give one a blank check. Everyone is still accountable for his behavior. Service to the nation isn't a shield against criticism.

Last edited:
Umm thanks, but I did not defend our freedoms. I just got sent to another country to kill people over there who never had done anything to us.
Well except kill us for invading their country.

Let's hope that next time they send you to Mexico so you can get the job done right.

I think it's partly about her orientation, and partly about her rather prickly and confrontational persona here. I've defended her on the former, according her the respect due a veteran and a fellow officer (even if she was a Squid:razz:). Obviously, had she done anything detrimental to her unit, the behavior would have come to command official notice, and that would have been that. I doubt there are many of us who never violated any regulations somewhere along the way, and whatever any of he commanders may have "known" or suspected. obviously none of it rose to the level of any feeling they had to know officially what her sexual orientation was (it's not like that never happens with a lot of other things).

That said, I do find her persona as displayed here rather hard to like, for reasons that have nothing to do with her being a lesbian, and everything to do with her constant carping, complaining, and acting like a victim; that probably does not go over well with a lot of vets (or anyone else) here either.

Exactly. Thank you for getting what I was conveying. Prickly demeanor, not really liking her...that's all understandable. But some asshole bombarding me and saying no vet here would ever defend her because she is a lesbian AND a vet? That's the part that got to me and I wanted to hear it from those he so self righteously was trying to speak for, without their knowledge.

The asshole saying that should learn to speak only for himself.

I'll defend attacks on her service. That's as far as the bond we share as veterans goes.

It was Bodey trying to claim that she somehow "finished her career more successfully" than an NCO, simply because she retired an officer.

That is not something a vet says to another vet. That is not something any respectful officer would say to an NCO, for the simple fact that NCO's are the backbone of the military. Without competent NCO's, most officers understand they would be left standing with their dick or tit in their hand looking quite stupid,
Is that what she said? Damn.

If she says it again, asked her who kept her plane in flying condition -- officers or enlisted?

If she says it again, asked her who kept her plane in flying condition -- officers or enlisted?

Did she really say that? Enlisted are the back bone of the force, come on.

That wasn't what I was getting at, WJ. The point is and was, someone chooses to speak for ALL vets. Not because she can be bitchy or confrontational or disrespectful or whatever. Do you want some chickenshit spreading rumor in private, speaking for you? For all vets? Because that is exactly what he was doing.

Not being in the service, I may be ignorant on military ways. But in my mind, or imagination maybe, I always thought military brothers and sisters acknowledged each other for their service because they all have "been there" in battle in some form or another. Disagreements, divisions on opinions, etc, yes. But still considering each other family, so to speak.
Not even in battle. As I said, I never fired a shot in anger, nor was I ever shot at. It's the willingness to put on the uniform and serve something larger than yourself that binds us.

First, there are homophobes everywhere, inside the military, retired military, and those who never served. Just like there are racists, sexists, anti-semetics, and most other kinds of anti-something. My advice to all is not to give them any purchase in your life - they ain't worth it and they definitely ain't worth the time and trouble.

Personally I couldn't care less what anybody's preference is then or now, when I wore the uniform I didn't care as long as you weren't a problem and got your stuff done. DADT was the rule and I would have obeyed it, but I did know of a few gays in my outfit that were damn fine servicemen and women.

Don't know that Bode needs any sticking up for, but if I see sombody attempting to speak for all vets I'm likely to speak up about if if I think it's waranted. We are not all of one mind on pretty much anything. Yes, she should be honored for her service same as every other person who served, assuming that her discharge was honorable.

One more thing: if you got a question you want to ask the vets around here, ask it. Don't be setting us up by asking the vets to identify themsekves and then sandbag 'em with a question. Doubt if that was your intent, but comes across as slightly manipulative.

We did this quite a few years ago here.... http://www.usmessageboard.com/military/50819-attn-veterans.html

Possibly veterans that have joined the board since then that aren't aware of this thread, would like to add their info to bring it up to date.

Pale Rider, Thank you for responding to the question in my PM. I wanted to respond here so that those interested will know how I feel about the subject. I asked you what the information that is gathered from the the link. The response was more or less to prove that the person actually served. Why do I need to prove to any one here anything about my service when it has no bearing on anyone's life ? And it still wouldn't be enough for some as they insist that all Vets have a secret language that truly proves that a person served. The people who need to know, like those who process my benefits know, The employers I have worked for know, the family knows, and those I served with know. The only other thing I would like to know is who is checking the facts and how are they able to confirm my service accurately and free of charge ?

I'd need to hear the whole thing.

Officers get paid more and get more retirement income, and maintain the privaledge status to former enlisted.

If that's what she ment, it's true, crass to say, but true.

If she was doing "I'm an officer and your benenith me" rant, that's not cool on any terms.

Officers get paid more and get more retirement income, and maintain the privaledge status to former enlisted.

If she was doing "I'm an officer and your benenith me" rant, that's not cool on any terms.

Yeah I'd need to hear the whole story on that too, I have been around many retired officers and enlisted and never heard someone say anything like that.

This coming from a guy who used to live in a fancy ass soup can under the sea. I bet when you are not posting here you watch Star Trek and read Jane's Defense Weekly. :poke: That aside, I cant find the post.

This coming from a guy who used to live in a fancy ass soup can under the sea. I bet when you are not posting here you watch Star Trek and read Jane's Defense Weekly. :poke: That aside, I cant find the post.

The post appeared and then was deleted, I assume by the poster. It was not quoted so nothing remains of it. I for one thought it was out of place when all we were asked was to say "here" to show our military service, for the ostensible purpose of Grace and others to say "thanks" for serving.

Last edited:

It's Lord of the Rings, phuckhol
And how did you know about my Janes subscription? :evil:

*sigh*
I actually did read Janes on a regular basis. It was always good to keep up on the stats of all the other countries and find out what was out there about ourselves, and see what was acurate.

Before the Cold War ended, I had every confidence that if we did war with Russia, and it didn't go nuclear, we would rule the seas.

the tonage count from the first day, for subs alone would have been stagering.

It's Lord of the Rings, phuckhol
And how did you know about my Janes subscription? :evil:

*sigh*
I actually did read Janes on a regular basis. It was always good to keep up on the stats of all the other countries and find out what was out there about ourselves, and see what was acurate.

Before the Cold War ended, I had every confidence that if we did war with Russia, and it didn't go nuclear, we would rule the seas.

the tonage count from the first day, for subs alone would have been stagering.

Every submariner I know reads Janes, are sci-fi fans and are just a tad odd. a few of the guys I went to meps with was approached there and asked if he would be interested. I would never do that. That is some serious shit, and I was not that dedicated. I bet you cold war guys had some pretty exciting moments in that can. Phart head

Last edited:
Here!

U.S._Navy_Submarine_(Enlisted)_warfare_pin.jpg
another bubblehead?? ..gotta love 'em!!
what boat were you on?

USS Hyman G. Rickover SSN 709

It's a 688 class Fast Attack.

And you?

I was on a the USS McKee a sub tender out of Point Loma for 3 years. I worked as a MM in the 56-B and R-30 shops. I have personally rebuilt and fixed hundreds of Marotta valves, and other sub safe and priority one components -I then spent my last year aboard SSN 701- The USS La Jolla. I was going to re-up for 4 more and finish qualifying (the bonus was $32K at that time) but my brain started working and I exited stage left. Great memories though.......I spent a half dozen more years in the active reserves afterward.

another bubblehead?? ..gotta love 'em!!
what boat were you on?

USS Hyman G. Rickover SSN 709

It's a 688 class Fast Attack.

And you?

I was on a the USS McKee a sub tender out of Point Loma for 3 years. I worked as a MM in the 56-B and R-30 shops. I have personally rebuilt and fixed hundreds of Marotta valves, and other sub safe and priority one components -I then spent my last year aboard SSN 701- The USS La Jolla. I was going to re-up for 4 more and finish qualifying (the bonus was $32K at that time) but my brain started working and I exited stage left. Great memories though.......I spent a half dozen more years in the active reserves afterward.

ahh, the West Coast.

Never saw it or got anywhere near it.

Tender duty, damn, that sucks. And you were a Machinest Mate! How's that high banana diet working out?:eusa_angel:

Forum List

Back