calling all diabetics.....

i will admit..i was sitting here enjoy a few dates..when hubby ask me if i could eat dates....i was like of course i can eat dates....omg was i wrong..dates are like 30 or more carbs eat..which is a bummer cause i have a great chocolate cake recipe that you sweeten with date paste...

OK... let's talk about your foot care.

It is CRITICAL that you take good care of your feet while you are getting your diet and blood sugar levels under control.

Here is a tip I developed that you might find useful.

Keep your feet free from injury which includes proper removal and control of dried skin. I found that a proper stool or "chair" in the bathtub when I take a shower is very helpfull combined with a seperate little tub for my feet to soak in.

I use an old Coleman ice chest to sit on because it is very sturdy and there are several sizes so it is easy to find one the right height. I put the ice chest on it's end. They are sort of non-slip because of the texture of the surface. The little tub for my feet I picked up at the Dollar store. This way I can take my shower and add a little dish detergent and anti bacterial hand soap to the "foot water" and get a good soak which removes the dry skin and thoroughly cleans my feet. Since I have been using this shower/feet soaking method my feet are much happier and the places that dry skin was acumulating have gone away completely.

I have considered removing the handles off the ends of the Coleman ice chest that sits on the bathtub floor but the thing folds up flat enough to not be too much of an angle to sit on. If there is a stability issue for you it wouldn't be that hard to knock off the end handles with a screw driver and a hammer. REMOVE any sharp edges before ya sit on it ya goof! Or your feet won't be your only problem! :lol:

That was entirely too much imagery in one post

:eusa_shifty:

It is CRITICAL that you take good care of your feet while you are getting your diet and blood sugar levels under control.

Keep your feet free from injury which includes proper removal and control of dried skin. I found that a proper stool or "chair" in the bathtub when I take a shower is very helpfull combined with a seperate little tub for my feet to soak in.

I use an old Coleman ice chest to sit on because it is very sturdy and there are several sizes so it is easy to find one the right height. I put the ice chest on it's end. They are sort of non-slip because of the texture of the surface. The little tub for my feet I picked up at the Dollar store. This way I can take my shower and add a little dish detergent and anti bacterial hand soap to the "foot water" and get a good soak which removes the dry skin and thoroughly cleans my feet. Since I have been using this shower/feet soaking method my feet are much happier and the places that dry skin was acumulating have gone away completely.

I have considered removing the handles off the ends of the Coleman ice chest that sits on the bathtub floor but the thing folds up flat enough to not be too much of an angle to sit on. If there is a stability issue for you it wouldn't be that hard to knock off the end handles with a screw driver and a hammer. REMOVE any sharp edges before ya sit on it ya goof! Or your feet won't be your only problem! :lol:

How do you know that I don't take my showers with my clothes on? Saves money going to the laundromat! :lol:

How do you know that I don't take my showers with my clothes on? Saves money going to the laundromat! :lol:

Sitting on a cooler with your feet in a dishpan was enough.
I will not allow the nudeness in my head
:D

I have a handicap shower stool (adjustable)
:thup:

Sitting on a cooler with your feet in a dishpan was enough.
I will not allow the nudeness in my head
:D

I have a handicap shower stool (adjustable)
:thup:

I do not but I do have several sturdy ice chests of various sizes. I don't really consider myself handicapped. Maybe just... shower/foot soak challenged.

AND I did sleep in a police closed motor inn last night! :lol:

i went and got the expensive aquar stuff last night...it is greasy so far...and yes it killed me parting with 15 bucks...i got the large tub...hubby made fun of me as he watched my cheapness kick in...small tube for trial...o hell no that is just too pricey ...so i got the economical tub....

great cm on getting off two meds...which one are you still on if you dont mind my asking...

i am on the starter metformin....

i have been cooking with almond meal......i make these almond meal muffins but i have changed the recipe...instead of olive oil...butter...instead of fake ass sugar...i just use a tablespoons of honey....mash in a banana and all...

for some reason it spikes me....could it be that damned cookie butter from trader joe's that i frost the muffins with....lol

I first started on Metformin a long time ago. I had chronic diarrhea from it. The doctor took me off it.

I've been taking two Glyburide a day, plus one Januvia.

I started exercising 3 x a week, one hour on the stationary bike.

Also I went on a diet.

I got off the Glyburide all together.

Exercising is key.

It's also very important to monitor your sugar level daily.

o and sarah ...i bet cmike is hating on you right now....

i found this great dessert....1 stick of cream cheese, 1 cup of whipped cream...sf pudding and 1 cup of water....it was great....no real spike....then i got my cholesterol test back ...higher than last time....

i looked ..the damn whipped cream...was killing me...

now its cookie butter from trader joe's....

I know, I've learned that fruit can really raise your blood sugar tho. Plus, the more carbs you eat, the more you want. Sorry Mike, there's a lot of good low carb recipies at that site I posted upthread a ways.

Can a Diabetic Eat Bananas | Healthy Eating | SF Gate

you have to eat to your meter...some people can eat this and others cant....i hate those who can still have mashed taters..they are few and far between....

i cannot eat oatmeal.....carbs spike me in the am....

o and sarah ...i bet cmike is hating on you right now....

i found this great dessert....1 stick of cream cheese, 1 cup of whipped cream...sf pudding and 1 cup of water....it was great....no real spike....then i got my cholesterol test back ...higher than last time....

i looked ..the damn whipped cream...was killing me...

now its cookie butter from trader joe's....

Nope. It's still important to eat fruit.

o i eat fruit....but try to keep the portions in mind....lunch at chic o flic..childs meal...one tender stip...5 carbs..the fruit cup...12 carbs....lol....i blame it on the grapes..they are little sugar bombs

do you just make on pancake or more? i put banana in the muffins..and 1/2 box of raisins...over the 12 muuffins that is okay

do you just make on pancake or more? i put banana in the muffins..and 1/2 box of raisins...over the 12 muuffins that is okay

I had this afternoon blue berry pancakes for lunch. I had two bananas in it, because I was hungry.

I just took my blood sugar. It was 95.

Usually 1 banana plus 1 egg makes three small pancakes.

i dropped my damn 7 day case today...after filling it....dog ate the vitamins lol.....it was a scramble to try to recover the pills before the dogs got them....

Good luck to all of you with the disease, and remember Type 2 is reversible with diet alone.

diet and exercise maybe....reversible is a tricky term....sure you can get the numbers lower...get your a1c down to normal....but you eat a damn biscuit and you will discover you are still a diabetic

i prefer the term...controlled...over reversed..and no one even says cured

My diabetes came along with the pulmonary hypertension. My doctor told me that when the disease was controlled and I lost weight it should go away. Well it is and I did, but the diabetes is still with me. Thing is, I never really ate a lot of sugar and still don't.

A lot of people get diabetes because of doctors giving the atypical antipsychotics as an augmentation to their antidepressant. No one in their right mind would do that. No one should be on one of those meds unless they are psychotic. But pharma has sold and continues to sell them for this use. I know you all see the ads. Patients used to come in asking for them all the time because of the ads. Before we knew they did this we were giving microscopic doses of one particular sedating one for sleep because it wasn't addicting, but even in tiny doses they cause the metabolic changes.

mine is strictly genetics and lifestyle.....it has been a hard adjustment to make...eating right and trying to exercise more...i am now at 129lbs at 5 ft 10 inches...i have lost the weight...exercised etc..and guess what i am still diabetic....

plus the daily shit you have to deal with..i have been stung by something on my hand...i didnt feel it....the stinger is still there and there is now a blood blister has formed around the stinger....if it was my foot i would be more upset...

they will slap you on meds so fast..when they told me i was diabetic they also said i had high blood pressure and wanted me to start on pills for that...i kept trying to explain that it was high due to being told i was diabetic...they wouldnt listen so i just took the damn scripts and went on....now i have low blood pressure due to ...??? they think the weight loss....
2 months and 6 days without passing out...~happy dance~

have you remarried? if you dont mind my asking?

Forum List

Back