Call Them Concentration Camps or Internment Camps -- Whichever, We Need Them!

Yes, it takes us back to the beginning, the time period where not following the rules, traditions and wisdom of the elders could get you killed. True Morality is about Right and Wring becayse those things jeep us alive and on the path through a proper life.
On what did these hypothetical "elders" base their rules and traditions?

There have been many cultures in history, some which were highly successful for many generations, which were guided by the rule and tradition that might makes right, e.g., the Huns, the Mongolians, the Vikings, et al. These people believed it was perfectly okay to live by the rule of violent force and that it was okay to rape and kill -- because they could. According to your suggested value system these people were guided by a unique moral standard -- which certainly worked rather well for them. It kept them alive for many generations by following a path that certainly was "proper" by their standards.

Last edited:
But who, or what, tells you what is right and what is wrong.

History, Tradition and Wisdom. Our forefathers learnbed hard lessons as they built the fiurst societies. Their rules, traditions and wisdom were built noit on happy feelings but on survival and whst was best for the society. THAT is the basis for true Morality.

You say it is "immoral" to use recreational drugs, presumably including alcohol, because to do so is biologically harmful. While it is true that excessive (gluttonous) use of anything, drugs or food, is biologically harmful it certainly is not true in every example. So what do you base your charge of universal "wrong" on where recreational drug use is concerned -- keeping in mind that what ,might be excessive for one is not excessive for all.

I'm less interested in biological harm than I am the harm thst immorality does to the Soul. The biological harm is just a pleasant side effect.

I can't make head or tail of this comment. What in the world is a "proper" society? Can you offer an example of a society in which everyone and everything is "in its place" -- whatever that means? Are you equating morality with perfection?

A society based o. Morals & Values, rigidly enforced by the Society as a whole, is a Proper Society. Law & Order us perfection. Morality simply creates the structure necessary to bring that into existence

History, Tradition and Wisdom. Our forefathers learnbed hard lessons as they built the fiurst societies. Their rules, traditions and wisdom were built noit on happy feelings but on survival and whst was best for the society. THAT is the basis for true Morality.
Whose morality?

Your sense of morality holds that smoking marijuana is immoral. For who? Do you know there are several recognized religions (Hindu, Rastafari, et al) in which the use of cannabis facilitates an important ritual. If you believe this to be immoral you are expressing an opinion, not a universally accepted tenet.

There are many other practices and behaviors which you might regard as immoral but are perfectly acceptable within other cultures -- and vice/versa. For example, you might think it's perfectly okay to eat pork but I needn't tell you that Muslims regard that as severely immoral. They feel about that the way you feel about smoking pot. Again, a matter of opinion -- not universal tenet.

Regarding your opinion that using recreational drugs is biologically harmful, while this is true for some it certainly is not true for all. Your opinion in this regard might be shaped by observations you've made within your personal sphere of existence. Could be everyone you know who uses some recreational substance is an addict or a basically degenerate individual. But I can assure you there are very many persons of highly respectable status whose private habits would surprise you were it not for the insanely counterproductive social effects of the drug war which necessitate extreme secrecy.

I will agree that it is immoral to enable or to encourage teen-agers to smoke pot, because their brains are not fully developed and it could adversely affect their short-term memory capacity. But what is "immoral" about a responsible adult privately enjoying the tranquil euphoria and intellectually broadening effect available from cannabis?

Whose morality?

Im talking about going back so far that the only meaningful answer to that question would be "humaity". I'm talking about i deals and values so old that in other animals they'd be considered instincts.

Your sense of morality holds that smoking marijuana is immoral. For who? Do you know there are several recognized religions (Hindu, Rastafari, et al) in which the use of cannabis facilitates an important ritual. If you believe this to be immoral you are expressing an opinion, not a universally accepted tenet.

I've already made it clear thst I have no use for Religion OR Culture as a means to determine Morality. True Moraslity supercedes those concepts vy hsving existed before them.

Regarding your opinion that using recreational drugs is biologically harmful, while this is true for some it certainly is not true for all. Your opinion in this regard might be shaped by observations you've made within your personal sphere of existence. Could be everyone you know who uses some recreational substance is an addict or a basically degenerate individual. But I can assure you there are very many persons of highly respectable status whose private habits would surprise you were it not for the insanely counterproductive social effects of the drug war which necessitate extreme secrecy

I don't care if its biologically helpful or harmful. It's Morally harmful to the Soul. THAT is a Universal Truth. The fact that you or anyone else disagrees with true Morality doesn't make it any less true. I am well aware of the depth and breadth of human Moral impurity in bith the high and low castes.

Forum List

Back