California GOP Lawmaker Is Removed During Speech Criticizing Tom Hayden

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Just a couple of weeks ago Democrats were outraged over Elizabeth Warren being cut off during a speech she was making on the Senate floor. Now, California Democrats do the exact same thing to a Republican State Senator. I suspect we'll see the same outrage from the posters on this board who were so rattled by Warren's experience, yes?

Oh absolutely. If people say partisan hacks aren't consistent, they don't know partisan hacks. :rolleyes:

Was she out of order or not? I'm thinking this is a "too soon"
type of thing. I'm thinking poor taste as well.

From your link:

She spoke during a portion of the Senate session reserved for memorializing people who have died, and the presiding senator told security to remove her.

Elizabeth Warren was reading a testimony about the person the confirmation hearing was on.

Can you really not see the difference?

Speaking out of order. Her remarks would have been accepted into the record later.

Hit the bricks!

From your link:

She spoke during a portion of the Senate session reserved for memorializing people who have died, and the presiding senator told security to remove her.

Elizabeth Warren was reading a testimony about the person the confirmation hearing was on.

Warren was also out of order, since she violated a Senate rule.

Out she went.

Just a couple of weeks ago Democrats were outraged over Elizabeth Warren being cut off during a speech she was making on the Senate floor. Now, California Democrats do the exact same thing to a Republican State Senator. I suspect we'll see the same outrage from the posters on this board who were so rattled by Warren's experience, yes?

Why did you phrase the question so as to put the onus on liberal posters here?

Why wasn't your question,

I suspect we'll see the same defense of the California Democrats from the posters on this board who defended the Senate Republicans, yes?

Last edited:

Maybe we could be tasteless like the ones calling Warren a Redskin, or Pocahontas.

o_O

From your link:

According to the Senate rules, a Senator is not allowed to speak ill about another Senator while speaking on the floor. While I personally think that is a stupid rule, particularly when Warren, as you pointed out, was speaking about another Senator being confirmed to a cabinet position, no, there is no difference given the rules are what they are.

Why did you phrase the question so as to put onus on liberal posters here?

Why wasn't your question,

I suspect we'll see the same defense of the California Democrats from the posters on this board who defended the Senate Republicans, yes?

He did it because you're so entertaining dancing with your hair on fire.

From your link:

According to the Senate rules, a Senator is not allowed to speak ill about another Senator while speaking on the floor. While I personally think that is a stupid rule, particularly when Warren, as you pointed out, was speaking about another Senator being confirmed to a cabinet position, no, there is no difference given the rules are what they are.

We really can't come to an agreement that time allotted for memorializing the dead should be used to that end instead of attacks?

There absolutely is a difference that you can acknowledge without invocation of Senate rules.

Maybe we could be tasteless like the ones calling Warren a Redskin, or Pocahontas.

o_O

Or Trump a cheeto

It does seem inappropriate to criticize a former state senator, who died years ago, on the state senate floor. Don't they have other things to do like deal with flooding and mudslides and secession?

From your link:

I think it had something to do with a more archaic rule about speaking of the same subject twice.

Nonetheless, the rule is there, silly as it may be, and got enforced.

o_O

She EARNED those names.

Forum List

Back