California 3D Gun Legislation: Leland Yee To Introduce Measure Banning DIY Weapons

hazlnut

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago
California 3D Gun Legislation: Leland Yee To Introduce Measure Banning DIY Weapons

The power of technology was officially pushed to the limit on Sunday when the world's first 3D-printed gun fired a shot.

And California legislators are wasting no time fighting back.

State Senator Leland Yee (D-San Francisco) said in a press release Tuesday that he plans to introduce legislation that would ban using technology to create weapons with 3D printers. "We must be proactive in seeking solutions to this new threat rather than wait for the inevitable tragedies this will make possible," he said.

Defense Distributed, the company behind the D-I-Y weapon, hosts downloadable designs for printable gun parts on its website. Officials claim the practice remains perfectly legal under current law.

"[In the United States] a person can manufacture a firearm for their own use," Donna Sellers of the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives told the BBC. "However, if they engage in the business of manufacture to sell a gun, they need a licence."

On the national level, Senator Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Congressman Steve Israel (D-N.Y.) are pushing measures similar to Yee's that would outlaw 3D-printed guns.

But University of Texas law student Cody Wilson, the driving force behind Defense Distributed, thinks lawmakers' efforts will be futile.

"Gun control for us is a fantasy," he said in a documentary showcasing his project. "In a way that people say you're being unrealistic about printing a gun, I think it's more unrealistic, especially going forward, to think you could ever control this technology."

According to Defense Distributed's website, the company's goals include "to defend the civil liberty of popular access to arms" and "to publish and distribute, at no cost to the public, such information and knowledge."

You know who else hated gun control and California -- this guy:

timothy-mcveigh.jpg

You'd think these nerds would bake a 3D vagina to fuck.

You know, something to get themselves off... or wait.... is that the appeal of guns?

The power of technology was officially pushed to the limit on Sunday when the world's first 3D-printed gun fired a shot.

And California legislators are wasting no time fighting back.

State Senator Leland Yee (D-San Francisco) said in a press release Tuesday that he plans to introduce legislation that would ban using technology to create weapons with 3D printers. "We must be proactive in seeking solutions to this new threat rather than wait for the inevitable tragedies this will make possible," he said.

Defense Distributed, the company behind the D-I-Y weapon, hosts downloadable designs for printable gun parts on its website. Officials claim the practice remains perfectly legal under current law.

"[In the United States] a person can manufacture a firearm for their own use," Donna Sellers of the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives told the BBC. "However, if they engage in the business of manufacture to sell a gun, they need a licence."

On the national level, Senator Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Congressman Steve Israel (D-N.Y.) are pushing measures similar to Yee's that would outlaw 3D-printed guns.

But University of Texas law student Cody Wilson, the driving force behind Defense Distributed, thinks lawmakers' efforts will be futile.

"Gun control for us is a fantasy," he said in a documentary showcasing his project. "In a way that people say you're being unrealistic about printing a gun, I think it's more unrealistic, especially going forward, to think you could ever control this technology."

According to Defense Distributed's website, the company's goals include "to defend the civil liberty of popular access to arms" and "to publish and distribute, at no cost to the public, such information and knowledge."
You know who else hated gun control and California -- this guy:

He wants to ban technology? What next, a ban on computers?

FYI, it is perfectly legal for anyone to build a gun in their basement under federal law, your link even makes that clear. All #D printing does is hand that same ability to anyone instead of just the rich people who can afford a machine shop. I would think people that want to spread the wealth would celebrate this, you, obviously, have a different goal than you claim you do.

too late, the cats out of the bag. banning is already an obsolete option

The OP is a mindless democrat robot. It's already over, people are going to build a gun, the key is preventing them from using it illegally, aka killing people.

The more important question is why does the OP love criminals but hate guns?

The genie is already out of the bottle. This proposed legislation is absurd.

that is exactly what i said. the horse is alreaydy out of the barn. did they not see this coming or were they to focused on their agenda of banning guns?

How would they enforce this piece of **** legislation? They can't ban 3-D printers without hurting the entertainment and prototyping industries. What a joke! It is completely legal to make your own gun at home. In the twenty + hours it takes a 3-D printer to print out a gun that will only fire 6 rounds befor it is useless I can make four 12 ga. shotguns that will fire for years and get a good night's sleep.
I suppose they could ban metal tubing and make it harder but I could still build guns at home with simple hand tools.

Outlaw hardware stores.

Outlaw iron pipe.

Outlaw rubber gloves.

You forgot to Outlaw printers. That creates more than weapons. That allows you to make a record of something offline. Out of sight... that HAS to be illegal since the government can't see it when its in a drawer.

How would they enforce this piece of **** legislation? They can't ban 3-D printers without hurting the entertainment and prototyping industries. What a joke! It is completely legal to make your own gun at home. In the twenty + hours it takes a 3-D printer to print out a gun that will only fire 6 rounds befor it is useless I can make four 12 ga. shotguns that will fire for years and get a good night's sleep.
I suppose they could ban metal tubing and make it harder but I could still build guns at home with simple hand tools.

For the cost of a 3-D printer, one could purchase a home machine shop from Lowes for about ~$2000 and begin producing quality fully automatic weapons. This is 19th century technology folks. Afghan tribesmen began producing fully auto ak-47 knockoffs in the 1950's.

Gun banners seem to think firearms are impossible for regular people to make in the privacy of their own home, while acknowledging that persons in prison can clandestintly produce quite effective zip guns.

Technically speaking, I don't think the legislation is attempting to ban 3D printers, it's going to attempt to ban using 3D printers to make a firearm. Two different things. If you are using a 3D printer to prototype a widget, not a problem. If you are using a 3D printer to make a firearm, that would be illegal.

>>>>

Technically speaking, I don't think the legislation is attempting to ban 3D printers, it's going to attempt to ban using 3D printers to make a firearm. Two different things. If you are using a 3D printer to prototype a widget, not a problem. If you are using a 3D printer to make a firearm, that would be illegal.

You are correct. However, I think the point is that those persons who would use a 3D printer to produce a gun for use in the real world would not be dissuaded by such a law and enforcement of the prohibition would be quite impossible. The guns being produced by this technology are of an extremely low quality which would be nothing but a curiousity... so long as normal firearms are reasonably available.

This really hints at a much broader change in our society. More and more of what we have traditionally thought of as 'property' is being converted into information - information that is essentially free to reproduce. It's going to get even crazier when everything, down to the most mundane household objects, is wired into the internet.

How is the government going to know that you are buying a 3-D printer to make a gun?
The printer is your property. The file to make the gun was released to the public domain - it is free. You are using your property to make something in your home. Is the government going to spy on every 3-D printer to find out who is using one to make a gun?
Are they going to require that you send a list of all the things you used your printer for?
Oh! Wait, that would violate our fourth and fifth amendment rights.

This law is completely unenforceable

Last edited:
How is the government going to know that you are buying a 3-D printer to make a gun?
The printer is your property. The file to make the gun was released to the public domain - it is free. You are using your property to make something in your home. Is the government going to spy on every 3-D printer to find out who is using one to make a gun?
Are they going to require that you send a list of all the things you used your printer for?

So many of our regulatory schemes are built on the assumption of fixed-state, fixed-purpose machines and property. But when a machine can be anything depending on what information is fed to it, that kind of regulation is unenforceable.

Sad thing is, I don't think we'll "get" this for a long while. They're going to keep trying to use the same approach (because it's what they know), and continue failing. The question is, how much authoritarian zeal will they bring to bear before giving up.

our government has already clearly demonstrated our rights are meaningless

Forum List

Back