3D printed guns make British gun control pointless….

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Criminals make money breaking the law…and come up with new and inventive ways to do this every day….the miracle of the 3D printer is about to make gun control in Britain…..gun control aimed at actual criminals….pointless…

Unfortunately, it seems folks in the UK haven’t gotten the memo.

UK police have uncovered the country’s largest collection of 3D-printed gun parts within a factory located in North West London.
On 7 October 2022, two men aged 20 and 40 were arrested on firearms offences after police raiding a home in North West London discovered a hoard of the said 3D-printed parts.

Anyone who is familiar with 3D Printing (I have several printers, three I built from scratch), know they're wonderful for making a lot of things. But, the worst thing in the world you could possibly make with one is a gun that you expect to not blow up in your hand when you fire it.

In the industry, a 3D Printed gun is know as a "Hand Removal Tool"

To make a gun, that is designed to create both high temps and high pressures, out of a plastic that is designed specifically to melt at low temperatures (the entire reason 3D printers work) is like making a suspension bridge out of spaghetti. It might look like a bridge, but you don't want to run any cars over it.

Now, if you want to make a gun, out of steel that won't blow up on you, and has a decent rate of fire, that you can make with basic hand tools and off the shelf part, a Brit named P.A. Luty published a book with complete plans, directions, templates, and photos ... and it's for sale on Amazon.

Anyone who is familiar with 3D Printing (I have several printers, three I built from scratch), know they're wonderful for making a lot of things. But, the worst thing in the world you could possibly make with one is a gun that you expect to not blow up in your hand when you fire it.

To make a gun, that is designed to create both high temps and high pressures, out of a plastic that is designed specifically to melt at low temperatures (the entire reason 3D printers work) is like making a suspension bridge out of spaghetti. It might look like a bridge, but you don't want to run any cars over it.

Now, if you want to make a gun, out of steel that won't blow up on you, and has a decent rate of fire, that you can make with basic hand tools and off the shelf part, a Brit named P.A. Luty published a book with complete plans, directions, templates, and photos ... and it's for sale on Amazon.

For now........technology advances.....

And most criminals don't need a gun that fires more than one round at a time...rape, robbery and most murder is just as easy with a one shot gun. But, they will get guns when they want them....and nothing the British police will do can stop them......

For now........technology advances.....

True, but the technology on which 3D Printing is based has been around for decades.

Additive 3D printers are basically just subtractive CNC ... in reverse. By the way, CNC is a MUCH better method for building clandestine guns at only slightly higher price point. Of course, for the level of precision required for firearms, hand milling is more than sufficient.

They are dependent on using soft materials that melt at a low temperature and sets quickly to build an object on layer at a time.

Guns are low tech tools to begin with...not much more complicated than a crescent wrench.
But 3-D printers aren't the issue for the UK not being able to actually have effective gun control...it's the miles and miles of shoreline that accomish this. Guns can easily be illegally imported along any kilometer stretch of shore that is not continuously patrolled. And the Government can't do that either...not enough manpower to do so.

True, but the technology on which 3D Printing is based has been around for decades.

Additive 3D printers are basically just subtractive CNC ... in reverse. By the way, CNC is a MUCH better method for building clandestine guns at only slightly higher price point. Of course, for the level of precision required for firearms, hand milling is more than sufficient.

They are dependent on using soft materials that melt at a low temperature and sets quickly to build an object on layer at a time.
If people really understood how easily a gun receiver is produced on a mill...this whole notion of gun control is over.

The receiver is the ONLY regulated part of a firearm. The rest of the parts of a gun are just basic materials that are unregulatable.

Making a quality receiver is something that even a 3rd grader can do...it really is not difficult. Granted it requires a mill and tooling...but that's getting cheaper and cheaper as the years go by.

If people really understood how easily a gun receiver is produced on a mill...this whole notion of gun control is over.

The receiver is the ONLY regulated part of a firearm. The rest of the parts of a gun are just basic materials that are unregulatable.

Making a quality receiver is something that even a 3rd grader can do...it really is not difficult. Granted it requires a mill and tooling...but that's getting cheaper and cheaper as the years go by.

Hobby CNC is giving 3D printing a real run for its money.

Even the cheaper desktop machines are capable of putting out quality pieces in most materials except hardened steel.

Hobby CNC is giving 3D printing a real run for its money.

Even the cheaper desktop machines are capable of putting out quality pieces in most materials except hardened steel.
Actually the stock steel is unhardened and can be hardened after milling. Then it's just a matter of some grinding...all easily doable.
I got interested in milling so I could build a skeletal marine clock from scratch. I haven't pulled the trigger yet as I need a whole building with concrete pad to do what I want. (Steel needs stronger machines made from cast iron frames with as little twist as possible) but most of these inexpensive mills can easily do brass with inexpensive tooling.
Brass is easy enough for these small cnc mills. The programming is the hardest part. Then it's just a matter of setup.

Brass cannons were once used regularly. (Civil War era) they fire 5-8" mortar rounds quite effectively. They are heavier and bulkier than steel. But even a log can be made into an effective cannon...you can even use it repeatedly by just using some common steel banding used in strapping pallets in effective locations on the wood barrel.
Firearms are extremely low tech stuff. There just isn't much to them.

Well................not for nothin', but 3d printers have advanced from plastics to metals now. And, while it is really expensive to make something from metal on a 3d printer, it's just a matter of time before the price comes down.

Actually the stock steel is unhardened and can be hardened after milling. Then it's just a matter of some grinding...all easily doable.
I got interested in milling so I could build a skeletal marine clock from scratch. I haven't pulled the trigger yet as I need a whole building with concrete pad to do what I want. (Steel needs stronger machines made from cast iron frames with as little twist as possible) but most of these inexpensive mills can easily do brass with inexpensive tooling.
Brass is easy enough for these small cnc mills. The programming is the hardest part. Then it's just a matter of setup.

Brass cannons were once used regularly. (Civil War era) they fire 5-8" mortar rounds quite effectively. They are heavier and bulkier than steel. But even a log can be made into an effective cannon...you can even use it repeatedly by just using some common steel banding used in strapping pallets in effective locations on the wood barrel.
Firearms are extremely low tech stuff. There just isn't much to them.
Plenty of free programming tools for Gcode. I use Blender CAM

Criminals make money breaking the law…and come up with new and inventive ways to do this every day….the miracle of the 3D printer is about to make gun control in Britain…..gun control aimed at actual criminals….pointless…

Unfortunately, it seems folks in the UK haven’t gotten the memo.

You silly goober. You think 3d printed guns are a viable option for the average gun nut. I'm not the least bit surprised.

You silly goober. You think 3d printed guns are a viable option for the average gun nut. I'm not the least bit surprised.

No, dipshit.....for the criminal who needs a gun for crime.

No, dipshit.....for the criminal who needs a gun for crime.

If a criminal wants a gun for a crime that cannot be traced, all they have to do is buy themselves a "ghost gun" kit, and assemble it themselves. Apparently, they are readily available, and fairly cheap.

Well................not for nothin', but 3d printers have advanced from plastics to metals now.

When people get their panties into a twist over 3D printed guns. It's because the don't know enough about the technology to understand that the type of printers commonly available are extruded plastic FDM and resin printers. Those are the only kind of printers available to the general public that would be a clandestine gun maker.

Metal FFF printers, use plastic filament to provide adhesion for metal filaments (metal wire) that has to be debound in a post printing phase by sintering. The result is a metal part that is smaller than the original print but not by a highly predictable amount.

Which means, the metal part has to be machined to meet tolerances and by the time you've done that, you could have machined the same part from scratch bar stock 40 times using a common, off the shelf, CNC machine, which are great for making guns.

Every article I've ever read that tries to frighten people about the wave of 3D printed guns that are just over the horizon to terrorize us is, deliberately or through ignorance, full of inaccuracies and misinformation regarding the technology.

When people get their panties into a twist over 3D printed guns. It's because the don't know enough about the technology to understand that the type of printers commonly available are extruded plastic FDM and resin printers. Those are the only kind of printers available to the general public that would be a clandestine gun maker.

Metal FFF printers, use plastic filament to provide adhesion for metal filaments (metal wire) that has to be debound in a post printing phase by sintering. The result is a metal part that is smaller than the original print but not by a highly predictable amount.

Which means, the metal part has to be machined to meet tolerances and by the time you've done that, you could have machined the same part from scratch bar stock 40 times using a common, off the shelf, CNC machine, which are great for making guns.

Every article I've ever read that tries to frighten people about the wave of 3D printed guns that are just over the horizon to terrorize us is, deliberately or through ignorance, full of inaccuracies and misinformation regarding the technology.
Don't dash their hopes so soon. I love it when gun nuts get all excited about goofy shit.

Don't dash their hopes so soon. I love it when gun nuts get all excited about goofy shit.

Any decent gun enthusiast knows full well how to make guns using simple, time-tested machine shop tools.

Forum List

Back