CAIR Asks FBI to Investigate Arson at Georgia Mosque…

Capitalist

Jeffersonian Liberal
May 22, 2010
(Atlanta Journal Constitution) — The Council on American-Islamic Relations is asking the FBI to investigate the suspected arson at a Marietta mosque.
Investigators say they think a fire at the Masjid Al-hedaya on Powder Springs Street in Marietta was deliberately set.
Vino Wong, [email protected] Investigators say they think a fire at the Masjid Al-hedaya on Powder Springs Street in Marietta was deliberately set.
The fire broke out late Monday night at the Islamic Center of Marietta. It likely was intentionally set, Marietta Fire Marshal Scott Tucker told the AJC.
“It appears to be a crime, it appears to be an arson,” Tucker said. “There was forcible entry.”
Ibrahim Hooper, spokesman for the civil rights and advocacy group known as CAIR, said there’s a “vocal minority in our society promoting anti-Muslim bigotry.”
“Given the recent wave of incidents targeting American mosques, a possible bias motive for this apparent arson attack must be considered,” Hooper said.
Firefighters got the call at 11:30 p.m. Monday. When they arrived at the mosque on Powder Springs Street, flames were coming from the front and back of the converted house. Firefighters were able to save the structure, but the prayer hall sustained a lot of damage.
Update: CAIR owned............
MARIETTA, Ga. (AP) — Officials say a 26-year-old man has been arrested and charged with setting fire to a Marietta mosque he had attended.
Marietta fire marshal Scott Tucker said Thursday that Tamsir Mendy was arrested Wednesday night and charged with first degree arson at the mosque, which caught fire Monday night. Tucker says Mendy is being held without bond.
Tucker says Mendy describes himself as a devout Muslim who had attended the mosque.
Tucker didn’t characterize a motive but says it doesn’t appear to be a hate crime.
Tucker says the arrest is “a bit of a surprise” to members of the mosque, who had expressed concern that the fire might be hate crime.
Tucker said earlier that the fire did about $100,000 worth of damage.

I hope they catch the arsonist. I dislike people who try to burn places of worship.

I hope they catch the arsonist. I dislike people who try to burn places of worship.

Atlanta’s 11 Alive reported:
Officials say a 26-year-old man has been arrested and charged with setting fire to a Marietta mosque he had attended.
Marietta fire marshal Scott Tucker said Thursday that Tamsir Mendy was arrested Wednesday night and charged with first degree arson at the mosque, which caught fire Monday night. Tucker says Mendy is being held without bond.
It also appears the Muslim arsonist, Tamsir Mendy, was an illegal alien.
The AJC reported:
A Muslim man charged with setting fire to a Marietta mosque may be in the country illegally, law enforcement officials confirmed Thursday.
Tamsir Mendy, 26, a native of Gambia, has been charged with first-degree arson and is being held without bail at the Cobb County detention center, said Scott Tucker, Marietta assistant fire chief.
Federal authorities have placed an “ICE detainer” on Mendy — meaning he will be handed over to Immigration and Customs Enforcement for possible deportation after his case is adjudicated, said Cobb sheriff’s department spokeswoman Nancy Bodiford.
While Mendy sat in jail Thursday, his wife’s cousin, Momodou Njie, was proclaiming his innocence.
“[Mendy] is not a criminal. It makes no sense for a Muslim to set fire to a mosque where he goes to pray everyday,” Njie told the AJC. “I think the authorities are looking for a quick answer and there he was. I still think this was a hate crime.”

Is there a point here other than the fact that the guy is an arsonist? And they come in all colors, genders, religions?

Is there a point here other than the fact that the guy is an arsonist? And they come in all colors, genders, religions?

The point is that CAIR was blaming this on bigotry and prejudice when the fact of the matter is it was one of the mosque's own parishioners. I think that was more than obvious.

I think the point of this post was to see if any liberals would assume the guy was a right wing racist white guy before reading the story :)

The point is that CAIR was blaming this on bigotry and prejudice when the fact of the matter is it was one of the mosque's own parishioners. I think that was more than obvious.

Thanks!!!

And they asked for an investigation...didn't automatically announce that white Christians did it.

Kind of like what happened after the OK City bombing....lots automatically assumed it was Muslims.

Forum List

Back