CA Shits on the First Amendment

Right of Association
“It is beyond debate that freedom to engage in association for the advancement of beliefs and ideas is an inseparable aspect of the ‘liberty’ assured by the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment, which embraces freedom of speech. . . . Of course, it is immaterial whether the beliefs sought to be advanced by association pertain to political, economic, religious or cultural matters, and state action which may have the effect of curtailing the freedom to associate is subject to the closest scrutiny.”NAACP v. Alabama ex rel. Patterson, 357 U.S. 449, 460–61 (1958). " style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(51, 122, 183); text-decoration-line: underline; cursor: pointer; vertical-align: top; font-weight: 700; font-size: 12.8px; line-height: 0.8em;">601 It appears from the Court’s opinions that the right of association is derivative from the First Amendment guarantees of speech, assembly, and petition,357 U.S. at 460; Bates v. City of Little Rock, 361 U.S. 516, 522–23 (1960); United Transportation Union v. State Bar of Michigan, First Amendment.NAACP v. Alabama ex rel. Patterson, 357 U.S. 449, 461, 463 (1958); NAACP v. Button, See “Maintenance of National Security and the First Amendment,” infra. " style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(51, 122, 183); text-decoration-line: underline; cursor: pointer; vertical-align: top; font-weight: 700; font-size: 12.8px; line-height: 0.8em;">604

Right of Association

Which first amendment are they violating?
Freedom of association, traitor.
Where is freedom of association in the 1st Amendment?
The right to engage in lawful activities protected by the first, corresponds to the right of association
And the SC has ruled once or twice on this.
Can you link those court cases or give the names of them so I can read them over? TIA

I think this is more a 4th Amendment thing.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."
There are no searches being conducted.

This is about barring citizens from bidding on State contracts for no other reason that they belong to or support the NRA.

Freedom of speech, freedom of assembly or association.

Does the First Amendment Protect the Freedom of Association? – The Future of Freedom Foundation

Legally, the freedom of association is considered to be a fundamental right protected by the Constitution. In the Supreme Court case of N.A.A.C.P. v. Alabama(1958), a unanimous Court ruled that the NAACP did not have to reveal to the Alabama attorney general the names and addresses of the NAACP members in the state because it would violate the NAACP members’ freedom of association. Writing for the Court, Justice John Marshall Harlan II said in the decision that

immunity from state scrutiny of membership lists … is here so related to the right of members to pursue their lawful private interests privately and to associate freely with others in so doing as to come within the protection of the Fourteenth Amendment. [Alabama] has fallen short of showing a controlling justification for the deterrent effect on the free enjoyment of the right to associate which disclosure of membership lists is likely to have….

Freedom to engage in association for the advancement of beliefs and ideas is an inseparable aspect of the “liberty” ensured by the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.
Thank you...that's all I was asking for.

The right to engage in lawful activities protected by the first, corresponds to the right of association
Can you link those court cases or give the names of them so I can read them over? TIA
I just did in 2 separate posts

Right of Association
“It is beyond debate that freedom to engage in association for the advancement of beliefs and ideas is an inseparable aspect of the ‘liberty’ assured by the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment, which embraces freedom of speech. . . . Of course, it is immaterial whether the beliefs sought to be advanced by association pertain to political, economic, religious or cultural matters, and state action which may have the effect of curtailing the freedom to associate is subject to the closest scrutiny.”NAACP v. Alabama ex rel. Patterson, 357 U.S. 449, 460–61 (1958). " style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(51, 122, 183); text-decoration-line: underline; cursor: pointer; vertical-align: top; font-weight: 700; font-size: 12.8px; line-height: 0.8em;">601 It appears from the Court’s opinions that the right of association is derivative from the First Amendment guarantees of speech, assembly, and petition,357 U.S. at 460; Bates v. City of Little Rock, 361 U.S. 516, 522–23 (1960); United Transportation Union v. State Bar of Michigan, First Amendment.NAACP v. Alabama ex rel. Patterson, 357 U.S. 449, 461, 463 (1958); NAACP v. Button, See “Maintenance of National Security and the First Amendment,” infra. " style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(51, 122, 183); text-decoration-line: underline; cursor: pointer; vertical-align: top; font-weight: 700; font-size: 12.8px; line-height: 0.8em;">604

Right of Association
Thank you.

I just did in 2 separate posts
I've seen it now...thank you.

This bill is not a law since only half of the legislature has voted on it.

Now let us review the thread.
The right to associate freely is in the 14th and not the 1st amendments and it is just a bill and not a law....

The right to associate freely is in the 14th and not the 1st amendments and it is just a bill and not a law....
Wont post it again... try to go back and read.

OK nit picker

And it is a newly implemented city ordinance as stated in the article

It actually violates both the first and the fourteenth.

The NRA is a political action organization and political speech is protected under the first.

The right of association can be subsumed by the Firsts right of assembly

So tell me what would you say if a state or city government refused to enter into contracts with any person who belonged to the DNC, RNC, ACLU, NAACP, The Sierra Club, or any other organizations that involve themselves in politics?

OK nit picker

The NRA is a political action organization and political speech is protected under the first.

So tell me what would you say if a state or city government refused to enter into contracts with any person who belonged to the DNC, RNC, ACLU, NAACP, The Sierra Club, or any other organizations that involve themselves in politics?
It happens every damn day in the USA, open bidding is done when the agency has to be forced normally it goes to family, friends and bribes first...

OK nit picker

It happens every damn day in the USA, open bidding is done when the agency has to be forced normally it goes to family, friends and bribes first...

And where is it a written ordinance that anyone belonging to any legal organization will be barred from state or city contracts?

PEople get murdered every day too so I;guess that's OK too right?

Amendment I. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

nope never says freedom of association.
Look harder, dimwit. First Amendment - Freedom of Association

Gee, the United States Constitution or the LA city council....who has this right?
Wow! That's a tough one. :icon_rolleyes:

Amendment I. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

nope never says freedom of association.
Look harder, dimwit. First Amendment - Freedom of Association
I was just using it to draw the words from those that were stuck and needed prodding. I am well aware of the entire scenario which may or may not unfold in the legislature of California..

OK nit picker

And where is it a written ordinance that anyone belonging to any legal organization will be barred from state or city contracts?

In legislature. No felons are allowed to be employed or do business with the feds, state, city etc...

OK nit picker

In legislature. No felons are allowed to be employed or do business with the feds, state, city etc...

So then the state can ban anyone that belongs to any legally sanctioned organization they want?

Does that mean they can ban union members from getting state contracts?

Forum List

Back