CA Shits on the First Amendment

Blues Man

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2016
NRA Sues Over LA Law Requiring Contractors To Disclose Ties To The Gun Rights Group

Under the ordinance, city contractors are required to fully disclose any sponsorship of, or contract with, the NRA. It was approved unanimously by the Los Angeles City Council in February. It allows the city to terminate a contract if the contractor does not disclose all ties with the NRA.

The ordinance cites the NRA's blocking of "sensible gun safety reform" even in the aftermath of several mass shootings in the U.S. It says public funding provided to contractors with ties to the NRA "undermines the City's efforts to legislate and promote gun safety."

I have a feeling SCOTUS will shoot this blatant violation of the Constitution down

Which first amendment are they violating?
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

One can argue that both freedom of speech and freedom of assembly ( association) are being violated as membership in the NRA will be used to disqualify a contractor from bidding on a job rather than than the relevant qualities such as economic responsibility and quality of work.

This also means that The state of CA will be able to deny employment to people applying for State or City positions for the sole reason that they belong to the NRA

Ours. Freedom of association.
Amendment I. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

nope never says freedom of association.

You can own a gun, but if you shoot it at a target on your property, you are going to jail! Lol

Another goofy California law.

I'm surprised any one doing business stays in that goofy state.

Likely will and should get thrown out by the courts.

Freedom of association, traitor.
I don't recall that being a first amendment right...Which Constitution are you reading from?

Same thing as freedom of assembly. And I think it does violate free speech.

Should a person be barred from a city contract for no other reason that he is a member of a legally sanctioned organization?

WHat would you say if a State government barred anyone belonging to the ACLU from getting a contract? How about people who donate to the DNC?

NRA Sues Over LA Law Requiring Contractors To Disclose Ties To The Gun Rights Group

Under the ordinance, city contractors are required to fully disclose any sponsorship of, or contract with, the NRA. It was approved unanimously by the Los Angeles City Council in February. It allows the city to terminate a contract if the contractor does not disclose all ties with the NRA.

The ordinance cites the NRA's blocking of "sensible gun safety reform" even in the aftermath of several mass shootings in the U.S. It says public funding provided to contractors with ties to the NRA "undermines the City's efforts to legislate and promote gun safety."

I have a feeling SCOTUS will shoot this blatant violation of the Constitution down
As someone already asked...what part of the 1st Amendment is being violated here?

Freedom of association, traitor.
I don't recall that being a first amendment right...Which Constitution are you reading from?

Same thing as freedom of assembly. And I think it does violate free speech.

Should a person be barred from a city contract for no other reason that he is a member of a legally sanctioned organization?

WHat would you say if a State government barred anyone belonging to the ACLU from getting a contract? How about people who donate to the DNC?
Freedom of association is the same thing as Freedom of Assembly? Has the Supreme Court interpreted it to mean the same thing?

I think this is more a 4th Amendment thing.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

As someone already asked...what part of the 1st Amendment is being violated here?
I already answered that

I think this is more a 4th Amendment thing.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."
There are no searches being conducted.

This is about barring citizens from bidding on State contracts for no other reason that they belong to or support the NRA.

Freedom of speech, freedom of assembly or association.

Does the First Amendment Protect the Freedom of Association? – The Future of Freedom Foundation

Legally, the freedom of association is considered to be a fundamental right protected by the Constitution. In the Supreme Court case of N.A.A.C.P. v. Alabama(1958), a unanimous Court ruled that the NAACP did not have to reveal to the Alabama attorney general the names and addresses of the NAACP members in the state because it would violate the NAACP members’ freedom of association. Writing for the Court, Justice John Marshall Harlan II said in the decision that

immunity from state scrutiny of membership lists … is here so related to the right of members to pursue their lawful private interests privately and to associate freely with others in so doing as to come within the protection of the Fourteenth Amendment. [Alabama] has fallen short of showing a controlling justification for the deterrent effect on the free enjoyment of the right to associate which disclosure of membership lists is likely to have….

Freedom to engage in association for the advancement of beliefs and ideas is an inseparable aspect of the “liberty” ensured by the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.

Forum List

Back