Businessman Roosevelt.

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
1. Here is a tale worth retelling, about a successful politician. No, not Franklin Roosevelt...but you will see, it could be.

"In 1988, I invested most of the earnings from this lecture circuit acquiring the leasehold on Connecticut’s Stratford Inn. … In retrospect, I wish I had known more about the hazards and difficulties of such a business, especially during a recession of the kind that hit New England just as I was acquiring the inn’s 43-year leasehold. I also wish that during the years I was in public office, I had had this firsthand experience about the difficulties business people face every day. That knowledge would have made me a better U.S. senator and a more understanding presidential contender."
George McGovern
How To Create Jobs, By George McGovern - Forbes

2. Franklin Roosevelt had a visceral animosity toward businessmen, entrepreneurs, successful capitalists.
And he had a way with words, in describing them. "unscrupulous money changers..." the greed and shortsightedness of bankers and businessmen," "..rulers of the exchange of mankind's goods have failed through their own stubbornness and their own incompetence" "we apply social values more noble than mere monetary profit." "there must be an end to a conduct in banking and in business which too often has given to a sacred trust the likeness of callous and selfish wrongdoing."

Wow! What the heck was that about? He was besmirching his fellow Americans, many of whom were responsible for the progress of society.
I'm about to explain it......

3. Franklin Roosevelt came from a very wealthy family, so one may puzzle at the vituperation he leveled at similar folks. Perhaps that very background is the reason, as with the politician George McGovern, he never learned how business worked, or how to earn money.
His mother Sara reported: "Money was never discussed at home....All his books and toys were provided for him. We never subjected the boy to a lot of don'ts."
"BEFORE THE TRUMPET: Young Franklin Roosevelt, 1882-1905," by Geoffrey C. Ward, p.125-126

a. Then again...how could they teach him about finance, after all, his father, James, inherited his fortune...and almost lost it by way of poor investments. His mother's father, Warren Delano, made his money selling opium illegally to Chinese addicts. When he retired to legitimate business, he didn't do much better than Franklin's father. Delano went back to the Opium trade, which is why Sara spent early years in China.
Ward, Op. Cit., p. 71.

4. Based on the hagiography, one can't help but be surprised at how mediocre young Franklin was at just about everything. Prep school was Groton, college, Harvard....excelling at neither sports nor academics. "I can't understand this thing about Frank. He never amounted to much at school."
Ward, Op. Cit., p. 180-181

a. A 'C to C+' student; not much for homework, study, or research....but he focused on social-political clubs, debates and journalism.

b. Not the only rejection, but a significant one, was his attempt to join Porcellian, the oldest and most elite social club at Harvard. Theodore Roosevelt and other members of the Roosevelt family belonged to the club, but Franklin D. Roosevelt, who was president of the Harvard Crimson, never managed to be elected a member. At some time, in his late thirties, he told his relative Sheffield Cowles that this had been "the greatest disappointment in his life".
Frances Richardson Keller, "Fictions of U. S. History : A Theory & Four Illustrations," p. 116.

Porcellian members were future entrepreneurs, businessmen, bankers, and corporate lawyers.

And they had rejected Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

Last edited:
None of which detracts in the least from the fact that he was one of the greatest of our Presidents.

You stupid 'Conservatives' cannot revise history to suit your warped and diseased ideologies. President Franklin Roosevelt will forever be remembered as a great American, and a world leader with few peers.

None of which detracts in the least from the fact that he was one of the greatest of our Presidents.

You stupid 'Conservatives' cannot revise history to suit your warped and diseased ideologies. President Franklin Roosevelt will forever be remembered as a great American, and a world leader with few peers.

Fixed it for you, to read:

None of which detracts in the least from the fact that he was one of the greatest of our kings.

You stupid 'Conservatives' cannot revise history to suit your warped and diseased ideologies. King Franklin Roosevelt will forever be remembered as an American who hated Jews, yet benefited from two major catastrophes which most Americans blamed on them, The Great Depression and WWII.

:D

Based on his 20% average unemployment over his entire first two terms?

Sent from smartphone using my wits and Taptalk

I keep asking you to stick to words you can define.....although I can see where that would be a monumental restriction on your posting.....

Case in point: "...cannot revise history....."

Revise: change or modify
revise - definition of revise by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Here is your opportunity to save face....

...exactly where did I change or modify history?

I didn't, did I.

In fact, I document almost everything I post.

So....are you a dope, or a liar?

'Fess up!

That was all Hoover's fault.

And, well, the Joos. :lol:

a. Then again...how could they teach him about finance, after all, his father, James, inherited his fortune...and almost lost it by way of poor investments. His mother's father, Warren Delano, made his money selling opium illegally to Chinese addicts. When he retired to legitimate business, he didn't do much better than Franklin's father. Delano went back to the Opium trade, which is why Sara spent early years in China.
Ward, Op. Cit., p. 71.

As did the nations of the US and Great Britain, which led to the opium Wars . In which western nations were forcing the Chinese to buy opium at gun point to open trade with China and drain their imperial treasury to make China weak for exploitation. So now that China has had a chance to do the same to the US by cheap labor and flooding the market with cheap affordable goods, ain't it a bitch to get paid back...

Last edited:
But really is 15-20 anti-Roosevelt threads a year a bit much of an obsession?
There are other presidents you know? But I know, the right must demonize the democrats and make the republican presidents angelic in nature which is illogical. Since not all conditions were or have been present in every era of each president..Each president has had their strengths and weaknesses..Is there a reason to only focus upon the democrats and never look in the mirror for your own parties for faults and weakness?
A true follower of being a history buff or professor, looks at all eras and at all of the conditions for such actions in periods of time without bias and condemnation...Evidently the American populace saw in Roosevelt what they could not in other candidates that ran against him.
And yes, Roosevelt was on a allowance from his mother until she died. We all should be so lucky to have such a benefit from our parents, but that is not the case..Roosevelt's mother felt that politics was beneath the monied elite of upper NY...

Last edited:
Ward, Op. Cit., p. 71.

As did the nations of the US and Great Britain, which led to the opium Wars . In which western nations were forcing the Chinese to buy opium at gun point to open trade with China and drain their imperial treasury to make China weak for exploitation.

"And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority." — Revelation 13:2

Ward, Op. Cit., p. 71.

As did the nations of the US and Great Britain, which led to the opium Wars . In which western nations were forcing the Chinese to buy opium at gun point to open trade with China and drain their imperial treasury to make China weak for exploitation.

But you don't want to dispute the origin of much of the Roosevelt fortune, huh?

Good.

The bigger the economy and the bigger the faults, the bigger the fall will be and the effects will last longer..For once a leader felt that people should not be dying in the streets like past financial crisis . Surely it is a Christian ideal which merits praise and not condemnation..

Last edited:
Ward, Op. Cit., p. 71.

Good.

I am not disputing the how or why since many that were in positions of wealth and power did the same.
Is it any worse than the Koch's making their first fortune helping Stalin frack the oilfields of the USSR?

Last edited:
But really is 15-20 anti-Roosevelt threads a year a bit much of an obsession?
There are other presidents you know? But I know, the right must demonize the democrats and make the republican presidents angelic in nature which is illogical. Since not all conditions were or have been present in every era of each president..Each president has had their strengths and weaknesses..Is there a reason to only focus upon the democrats and never look in the mirror for your own parties for faults and weakness?
A true follower of being a history buff or professor, looks at all eras and at all of the conditions for such actions in periods of time without bias and condemnation...Evidently the American populace saw in Roosevelt what they could not in other candidates that ran against him.

1. "But really is 15-20 anti-Roosevelt threads a year a bit much of an obsession?"

Here is a very simple principle....one which even you can understand:
I write what interests me,
...you read what interests you.

If this is good bye.....see ya.'

2. "There are other presidents you know? But I know, the right must demonize the democrats...blah blah blah...."

No....here is another simple principle: I am a defender of the Constitution.
Therefore, the President who did the most to destroy same is in my cross-hairs.

Actually, I look forward to your input.....but same would be far more efficacious if you would attempt a defense, a rebuttal, rather than the usual Left-wing attempt to shut down opposing voices......mine in particular.

3. "Each president has had their strengths and weaknesses..Is there a reason to only focus upon the democrats...."

Not only did FDR attack entrepreneurs and capitalism, as well as the Constitution...but he allied our nation with the homicidal psychopath, making certain that communism survived.

See how that fits into that "strengths and weaknesses" thing?

4. "...without bias..."

Yup....that's me!

OK....back to the point: did you find anything in the OP that was untrue?

No?

Carry on.

Shall we look at Grant and how he was a dismal failure of a businessman and farmer? Yet a good general?
Not everyone is good at the same thing as everyone else that are.

The bigger the economy and the bigger the faults, the bigger the fall will be and the effects will last longer..For once a leader felt that people should not be dying in the streets like past financial crisis . Surely it is a Christian ideal which merits praise and not condemnation..

1. "For once a leader felt that people should not be dying in the streets....."

How does that fit with the fact that he extended the depression by years?

Time and again we see this with Democras/Liberals/Progressives.....

Intentions are all that count....not results.

2. Watch this-

Here is an interesting visual:

Imagine a triple line of the unemployed, three across, consisting of those unemployed under Hoover, in 1931. The line would have gone from Los Angeles, across the country, to the border of Maine.

What effect did Roosevelt have on the line?

Well, eight years later, in 1939, the length of the line would have gone further, from the Maine border, south to Boston, then on to New York City, then to Philadelphia, on to Washington, D.C.- and finally, into Virginia.
Folsom, "New Deal or Raw Deal"

Shall we look at Grant and how he was a dismal failure of a businessman and farmer? Yet a good general?
Not everyone is good at the same thing as everyone else that are.

Nah.....let's stick to Roosevelt, who had a much greater, more deleterious, and longer lasting effect.

Your posts are a prime example of the propagandistic effect: did you notice that you are unable to deny a single thing that I've said?

FDR was a miserable failure. total complete failure.

he presided over and was responsible for an economy worse than the 7 biblical lean years.

he befriended and was lead by one of history's biggest mass murderers Josef Stalin.

Good.

I am not disputing the how or why since many that were in positions of wealth and power did the same.
Is it any worse than the Koch's making their first fortune helping Stalin frack the oilfields of the USSR?

President Koch?

Did I miss that?

I write what interests me,
...you read what interests you

I read not just what interest me but as a historian I read about all aspects of the human experience which includes all facets of human activity.
You seem to have a historical small mind....

FDR was a miserable failure. total complete failure.

he presided over and was responsible for an economy worse than the 7 biblical lean years.

he befriended and was lead by one of history's biggest mass murderers Josef Stalin.

Which the Koch family worked for, but not a bad word comes from you about the Koch family..
If he befriended Stalin, why did he publicly speak bad about him?

Forum List

Back