Business representatives

Big Black Dog

Platinum Member
May 20, 2009
Let's say you own your own small business and regardless of what your business might be, you have heavy interaction with the public and require it for your business to survive. You are interviewing candidates for a job - a salesperson - who will be in constant contact with the general public and responsible for generating sales for your business. A young man comes in for an interview. He has shoulder-lengh hair, his ear lobes have been adorned with big hoopes, he has multiple piercings on his face - lip, eyebrown and nose. He has a tongue split. He is wearing a t-shirt and you can clearly see that his arms are just about entirely covered with tattoos. Would you want this person to represent you and your company? Discuss.

Let's say you own your own small business and regardless of what your business might be, you have heavy interaction with the public and require it for your business to survive. You are interviewing candidates for a job - a salesperson - who will be in constant contact with the general public and responsible for generating sales for your business. A young man comes in for an interview. He has shoulder-lengh hair, his ear lobes have been adorned with big hoopes, he has multiple piercings on his face - lip, eyebrown and nose. He has a tongue split. He is wearing a t-shirt and you can clearly see that his arms are just about entirely covered with tattoos. Would you want this person to represent you and your company? Discuss.

No.

That said, I do have a few employees who are "not the norm" and who do quite well. One of my favorites is a professional wrestler, and we have to constantly work around his schedule, but he is so good at what he does, it is a price we happily pay to have him associated with us.

But those who take multiple tattoos and piercings to an extreme always have issues that will likely surface later on. I don't mind baggage when I hire an employee, but I detest hidden baggage. Its the fastest, easiest way to get fired from my company. I've hired more than a couple of these "my body art is an expression" types. They always turn out to be bigger freaks than they first appeared, and they are never worth the trouble.

If that is your market base then..... yes.

Exactly, all depends on your sales focus. if you are marketing some doo dad to a bunch of hipster asshats, then the candidate you describe will work fine. If instead you are selling to the AARP crowd, then they will probably run him out of the place with pitchforks.

Forum List

Back