Business owner uses guaranteed loan to pay workers during shutdown and employees get angry.

RandomPoster

Platinum Member
May 22, 2017
A small business owner used a guaranteed loan to continue paying her employees during the shutdown, even though they were not working. However, many of them became angry because they will lose out on government benefits.

Well I can understand the employee as they still get paid while at home but with a spa business there is no 6 ft clearance and the risk of close contact is obvious. Still it sounds like she was taking advantage of the government. Can't blamer her as big business does it also.

I can see her prospective of wanting to stay open as she makes more money. I do not believe she will get the same amount of people as in the past as many may not be willing to visit during this current situation. Still as a taxpayer it is kind of ridiculous that if her business is non essential that she would still be open for business and thus able to get such a loan that is forgivable.

Still its an election year and surely politicians are nervous about the economy so anything goes.

Lesson learned .. Don't hire freeloading Democrats..

Their new motto..

download (1).jpg

Well I can understand the employee as they still get paid while at home but with a spa business there is no 6 ft clearance and the risk of close contact is obvious. Still it sounds like she was taking advantage of the government. Can't blamer her as big business does it also.

I can see her prospective of wanting to stay open as she makes more money. I do not believe she will get the same amount of people as in the past as many may not be willing to visit during this current situation. Still as a taxpayer it is kind of ridiculous that if her business is non essential that she would still be open for business and thus able to get such a loan that is forgivable.

Still its an election year and surely politicians are nervous about the economy so anything goes.

She wasn't re-opening. The employees were going to get their full check sitting at home. However, some of them were making more money on government checks.

Washington states pays $188 a week minimum and $790 maximum in unemployment benefits. Due to the Corona virus crisis those numbers have been increased to $788 minimu and $1390 maximum with the added $600.00 a week. Additionally contractors, gig workers, freelancers who did not have an employer who paid into the system can draw unemployment as long as they can prove that they earned enough qualifying wages to qualify for a claim. My understanding is that once ESD denies your application, you can then reapply under the COVID emergency funding program.

Minimum wage is $11.50 which is $460 a week. If a person earns $15.00/hr that's $600 a week. Drawing unemployment during the COVID crises appears to pay more than what the average minimum wage or thereabout worker would earn let alone bring home.

That's why they're not happy, even though their employer is offering to pay them their salary even in spite of them not being required to return to work for at least a month unless the May 17/18th deadline gets extended.

Oh, the one drawback though is that apparently no one can get through to file their claims on ESD's website and all phone calls go unanswered. People have been trying for close to a month and still haven't had their claims accepted. On the upside, once your claim is approved, they pay you retroactively all the way to the date you first became eligible to receive benefits, irrespective of when you finally got your claim through.

And there is a moritorium on evictions due to failure or inability to pay rent, at least for April through June I think it is.

The feds extra 600 a week got em drooling
.I'll see if my girl gets hers next week ... she went to work today her first day back she only 5 hours a day wed to fri till things open up

The feds extra 600 a week got em drooling
.I'll see if my girl gets hers next week ... she went to work today her first day back she only 5 hours a day wed to fri till things open up

The receptionist at work is pissed as hell she wasn't laid off for just that reason. She would make more sitting at home than she would working because you get half-pay for unemployment plus the $600 bump.

Forum List

Back