Bush Released 500 From GitMo...171 Went Back To The Fight

Director of National Intelligence: Bush-Cheney released 171 Gitmo prisoners who returned to battlefield, compared to Obama's 7 ? The Lead with Jake Tapper - CNN.com Blogs.

Of the Five Hundred (500) Detainees released from Guantanamo Bay by bush 43, One Hundred Seventy-One (171) went back to the battle field to continue the fight.

How dare President Obama release 5-al_Qeada leaders, only the shrub and darth dick(less) can do that.

I have read 520; as 100+ were Saudi, money wasn't a problem, thus, straight back to al Qaeda.

It's so fun watching the partisan hacks get bent out of shape over things they either ignored or defended at the time under bush.

Well, sure BushII ignored law when it suit his purpose, and so does Obama. It may well be true that Obama had to act quickly, and it's obviously true that congress had been informed in the past that a prisoner swap was on the table. I don't think its really bushii did this or Obama did that. What it is is disingenuous for congressmen to say "we had no idea ....." And better yet with McCain, who was for it before he was against it.

But all that is a separate issue to actually releasing people from gitmo. Legally, it must be done when certain conditions are met. BushII had to comply with law. This issue has been to the supreme court twice, if I recall right, and it was most recently in the 2nd Cir Court of Appeals. Those five had to be released when the US ceases military options in Afghan, UNLESS they are wanted by some govt on some charges unrelated to simply opposing their country being invaded by the US and the dwindling coaltion.

Bush did not "ignore the law to suit his purpose". Harry Truman ignored the law when he sent Troops to Korea without congressional approval and what the hell can we say about the mess LBJ created in Vietnam. Bush was dealing with a hostile democrat controlled congress who undermined the Military mission after they approved it. Barry Hussein seems to care more about secrecy and media generated stories than the law.

It's so fun watching the partisan hacks get bent out of shape over things they either ignored or defended at the time under bush.

Using the corruption, stupidity and malfeasance of past politicians to excuse corruption, stupidity and malfeasance of current politicians is a very weak argument.

So, is the point of this thread to bring to our attention that two similar Presidents are capable of being wrong with regard to similar issues?

Or is the point of this thread simply another moronic "But BUUUUUSH!" chant?

So, is the point of this thread to bring to our attention that two similar Presidents are capable of being wrong with regard to similar issues?

I don't know the pt of the thread, which is why I posted. Of course two potuses are capable of screwing up the same thing. This is hardly the first time it occurred, and imo that in itself is irrelevant.

But, if the thread illustrates that both presidents must comply with court rulings on the rights of detainees to impartial hearing and release when there is no longer a legal justification for detention, I think it'd be a rare breath in reality not twisted to support some ideology or another.

Does anyone remember when Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Perle, Powell, Rice, Tenet, etc., lied through their worthless fucking teeth to invade Iraq?

Does anyone remember that? Does anyone remember when the GOP lost any right to talk about anything because they lied this country into war?

Please remember.

Iraq and Weapons of Mass Destruction
The Iraq War Ten Years After

Do you mean do I remember when Bush Cheney and the rest relied on intel from a multitude of nations that showed that there were WMD's?

Yes.

Do I recall how many claimed they all lied but to date no proof has been given?

Yes.

Am I smart enough to realize that those that claimed they were lied to were the ones who voted for the war and were trying to explain themselves out of it by saying they were lied to so they can get elected to a higher office or re-elected while campaigning against the war they voted for?

Yes.

Are you?

Obviously not.

Does anyone remember when Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Perle, Powell, Rice, Tenet, etc., lied through their worthless fucking teeth to invade Iraq?

Does anyone remember that? Does anyone remember when the GOP lost any right to talk about anything because they lied this country into war?

Please remember.

Do you mean do I remember when Bush Cheney and the rest relied on intel from a multitude of nations that showed that there were WMD's?

Yes.

Yes.

Am I smart enough to realize that those that claimed they were lied to were the ones who voted for the war and were trying to explain themselves out of it by saying they were lied to so they can get elected to a higher office or re-elected while campaigning against the war they voted for?

Yes.

Are you?

Obviously not.

keep telling yourself its all true.

Please remember.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Are you?

Obviously not.

Awesome post.

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooshhhhhhh

Bush sucked too.. having said that HE DID NOT NEGOTIATE WITH TERRORISTS . HE DID NOT trade 5 of the worst terrorists for a deserter/traitor. HE did not break the law by not notifying Congress and pretending like he was an Emperor. ( George Bush usurped his Constitutional powers also by EO) but this wasn't one of those times.. so when you compare apples, bring apples.
^^^ Doesn't know her al Qaeda from her Taliban. :lol:

Please remember.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Are you?

Obviously not.

And you keep telling yourself it isn't.

Let me see if I get what you libs are saying--------If Bush did something stupid it makes it OK for Obama to do the same stupid things ??????????? WTF is wrong with you people?

But for the record, Bush did not release the 5 most dangerous guys in exchange for one possible deserter.

You stupid moral equivalency attempts fail-----as they always do.

Who says they are the 5 most dangerous guys? Who started this meme?

Let me see if I get what you libs are saying--------If Bush did something stupid it makes it OK for Obama to do the same stupid things ??????????? WTF is wrong with you people?

But for the record, Bush did not release the 5 most dangerous guys in exchange for one possible deserter.

They were not your run in the mill field soldiers.

They were leaders. All five of them.

Another lefter that has no flippin clue. You're just sitting there waiting for the ...come fly with me, come fly, come fly away....... right? hahahahahahahahaahha too much, simply too much.

The point, yet again, is Right-Wing hypocrisy.

You don't get it do you? You're so flippin lost you couldn't hit water if you fell out of a boat.

They were not your run in the mill field soldiers.

They were leaders. All five of them.

Operative word.

14 years ago, Michael Jordon was unstoppable. How would he do today?

These are just goat-farmers. The fact that they may be goat-farmers with slightly more on the ball than your normal Afghan goat-farmer doesn't make them Super Soldiers.

Right-Wingers are afraid of everything.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Are you?

Obviously not.

And you keep telling yourself it isn't.

Blix and el-Baradi proved it, and the world knows it. When you RW apologists cry "Hillary did nothing" she actually got the world to stop treating us like a pariah. Bushii lowered our claim to excellence and admiration to its lowest since Vietnam. Mission accomplished.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back