Bush Released 500 From GitMo...171 Went Back To The Fight

Who says they are the 5 most dangerous guys? Who started this meme?

They were not your run in the mill field soldiers.

They were leaders. All five of them.

Operative word.

14 years ago, Michael Jordon was unstoppable. How would he do today?

These are just goat-farmers. The fact that they may be goat-farmers with slightly more on the ball than your normal Afghan goat-farmer doesn't make them Super Soldiers.

Right-Wingers are afraid of everything.

wont lie to you.

I thought about that.

I agree. If we had our SoS, our SoD, our Ambassador to nation x and a few others taken....and released 12 years later?

Whatever they have to offer in the future would likely be useless as they would have already been replaced...and most definitely not up to speed.

That being said, I believe Hagel handled himself well today and whereas I disagree with the overall trade, I respect why they did it; how they did it...and I see no "there there"

What did Bush do to get a pass for the doing worse than Obama? And how does Obama create such anger for doing less than Bush?

Seems partisan lol

Khirullah Said Wali Khairkhwa - The Guantánamo Docket
Mohammad Nabi Omari - The Guantánamo Docket
Mullah Mohammad Fazl - The Guantánamo Docket
Mullah Norullah Noori - The Guantánamo Docket
Abdul Haq Wasiq - The Guantánamo Docket

Afghan high peace council welcomes release of 5 senior Taliban leaders - Khaama Press (KP) | Afghan News Agency

Let me see if I get what you libs are saying--------If Bush did something stupid it makes it OK for Obama to do the same stupid things ??????????? WTF is wrong with you people?

But for the record, Bush did not release the 5 most dangerous guys in exchange for one possible deserter.

You stupid moral equivalency attempts fail-----as they always do.

Who says they are the 5 most dangerous guys? Who started this meme?

They were not your run in the mill field soldiers.

They were leaders. All five of them.

Operative word.

These are just goat-farmers. The fact that they may be goat-farmers with slightly more on the ball than your normal Afghan goat-farmer doesn't make them Super Soldiers.

wont lie to you.

I thought about that.

I agree. If we had our SoS, our SoD, our Ambassador to nation x and a few others taken....and released 12 years later?

Whatever they have to offer in the future would likely be useless as they would have already been replaced...and most definitely not up to speed.

That being said, I believe Hagel handled himself well today and whereas I disagree with the overall trade, I respect why they did it; how they did it...and I see no "there there"

This is an important point: they were the leaders of their rag-tag government and are the counterparts to our Secretary Of Defense, State, etc. And that government was recognized by us and the United Nations as being legitimate, even if we didn't like it. So we are bound to release them under law when the war is over in a year or less. So why not get something for them?

And Hagel was very impressive this morning, I agree. His point about this freeing up resources is a good one, and one that hasn't been discussed before today.

Operative word.

wont lie to you.

I thought about that.

This is an important point: they were the leaders of their rag-tag government and are the counterparts to our Secretary Of Defense, State, etc. And that government was recognized by us and the United Nations as being legitimate, even if we didn't like it. So we are bound to release them under law when the war is over in a year or less. So why not get something for them?

And Hagel was very impressive this morning, I agree. His point about this freeing up resources is a good one, and one that hasn't been discussed before today.

No more facts. Let's go down the Iraq was justified hole again!

But, you're right. We had to let them go after we pull out. It may be that they help launch an attack on our forces before we leave. I hope not. There are those who believe they will, and I'm sure some who actually hope for that to happen. But, there's two reasons to think they may honor their agreement. First, obviously predator drones are a possibility and the Taliban really hate those things. Second, the Taliban will negotiate some deal with us in the closing days. Karazi is frozen out, and the admin is simply ignoring him. We screwed up making him Jefe and not putting in the other guy Abdullah or something, but that's done. The Taliban want to be seen as legitimate.

Comparing obama to bush shows desperation. Obama must've really fucked up.

Obama also paid an undisclosed amount of American millions to get bergdahl back.

And code pink is honoring bergdahl so you know he is a deserter cuz they hate the troops.

Sometimes spell check writes words I don't mean. :D. Spell check you sock. Lolol.

Operative word.

wont lie to you.

I thought about that.

Actually, I disagreed with the "freeing up resources" point.

For there is no doubt MORE resources will be used to monitor these guys.

But overall, I feel that he gave valid answers; he seemed honest and sincere; his opening statement was written, but no doubt his words.

I absolutely understand why no notice to congress....that was the right call. Obama discarded the law but for good reason.

We are nearing election time and all members of congress have been found to use policy decisions as "tools" on the campaign trail.

Someone in congress would have leaked it.

wont lie to you.

I thought about that.

But overall, I feel that he gave valid answers; he seemed honest and sincere; his opening statement was written, but no doubt his words.

I absolutely understand why no notice to congress....that was the right call. Obama discarded the law but for good reason.

We are nearing election time and all members of congress have been found to use policy decisions as "tools" on the campaign trail.

ah.....he violated the law.

wont lie to you.

I thought about that.

No more facts. Let's go down the Iraq was justified hole again!

But, you're right. We had to let them go after we pull out. It may be that they help launch an attack on our forces before we leave. I hope not. There are those who believe they will, and I'm sure some who actually hope for that to happen. But, there's two reasons to think they may honor their agreement. First, obviously predator drones are a possibility and the Taliban really hate those things. Second, the Taliban will negotiate some deal with us in the closing days. Karazi is frozen out, and the admin is simply ignoring him. We screwed up making him Jefe and not putting in the other guy Abdullah or something, but that's done. The Taliban want to be seen as legitimate.

Just need to say this...

In bold...

You mean just like some wanted things to go sour in Iraq?

Yeah, probably.

ah.....he violated the law.

Absolutely did.

About time the man did something that he believed was the right thing to do but would also have a negative impact on his popularity.

Forum List

Back