Building projects? Now?

ShellG

Rookie
Feb 4, 2013
greater Seattle area
I don't get this:

I voted for Obama first go round, but I feel he's let us down, like taking candy from a baby, but this is no candy he's taking from us. So, we get budget and program cuts up one side and down the other; locally, they started out saying they'd close our parks and prisons, we lost our animal shelters (or perhaps this privatization is working out after all, I don't know), and a bunch of other things -- Saturday postal deliveries being the latest such cut.

But hot on the heels of all these cuts, we're getting whole crops of road building projects going on around here, mostly bridges, including one in a neighborhood that said really, they didn't need this bridge, so what gives with that? At first I thought it was a 'use it or lose it' kind of deal, and they had some spare funds they couldn't use otherwise. Here's the kicker:

We have two floating bridges (greater Seattle area): the north one's always been too small, now they finally want to replace it, they've rammed it through with no vote, and we're being tolled for it --makes sense -- but at $8 a crossing! When I was little, this north bridge was still new, and the toll was 10¢ a crossing, so that's an 8000% inflation! Now they want to toll the southern floating bridge, which never had a toll, not even when it was replaced just over a decade ago, and they say it's to help fund not just the northern bridge, but all the other bridge and road projects that have cropped up as well!

No, we didn't vote on this. What is going on here? How does this make economic sense for this area? Any other regions seeing the same thing? The economy "tanks" (not so sure it really did), and suddenly they get all this stuff going. Also, yeah, stadium land out here, and now we're getting a new arena rammed through with no vote as well... Sheesh. Can anybody explain this to me?

Thanks.
---ShellG

I don't get this:

I voted for Obama first go round, but I feel he's let us down, like taking candy from a baby, but this is no candy he's taking from us. So, we get budget and program cuts up one side and down the other; locally, they started out saying they'd close our parks and prisons, we lost our animal shelters (or perhaps this privatization is working out after all, I don't know), and a bunch of other things -- Saturday postal deliveries being the latest such cut.

But hot on the heels of all these cuts, we're getting whole crops of road building projects going on around here, mostly bridges, including one in a neighborhood that said really, they didn't need this bridge, so what gives with that? At first I thought it was a 'use it or lose it' kind of deal, and they had some spare funds they couldn't use otherwise. Here's the kicker:

We have two floating bridges (greater Seattle area): the north one's always been too small, now they finally want to replace it, they've rammed it through with no vote, and we're being tolled for it --makes sense -- but at $8 a crossing! When I was little, this north bridge was still new, and the toll was 10¢ a crossing, so that's an 8000% inflation! Now they want to toll the southern floating bridge, which never had a toll, not even when it was replaced just over a decade ago, and they say it's to help fund not just the northern bridge, but all the other bridge and road projects that have cropped up as well!

No, we didn't vote on this. What is going on here? How does this make economic sense for this area? Any other regions seeing the same thing? The economy "tanks" (not so sure it really did), and suddenly they get all this stuff going. Also, yeah, stadium land out here, and now we're getting a new arena rammed through with no vote as well... Sheesh. Can anybody explain this to me?

Thanks.
---ShellG

liberal's call it pump priming. They tax and spend and pretend that makes the money magical and stimulating whereas when you spend your own hard earned money, they claim, it's somehow not magical and stimulating.

Forum List

Back