Buddhist Teachings You Don't Understand.

b953c4b911eabe0472c1bf1b794e21.jpg

I'm guessing karma is at the top of the list. To a Buddhist, karma is merely causes and conditions, cause and effect. No judgment of right or wrong.

Rebirth--most non Buddhist think this is reincarnaion, which implies a "soul" or personality moves to another life. It simply means birth in one of the six realms of existence.

Comments? Questions?

What do Buddhists believe/what does Buddhism teach about drugs and alcohol?
There are precepts of conduct. Avoid intoxication is one. That would mean abstinence if you're a monk or nun and not being stoned or drunk if you're a lay practitioner. Here is the vow:

"Aware of the suffering caused by unmindful consumption, I am committed to cultivating good health, both physical and mental, for myself, my family, and my society by practicing mindful eating, drinking, and consuming. I will practice looking deeply into how I consume the Four Kinds of Nutriments, namely edible foods, sense impressions, volition, and consciousness. I am determined not to gamble, or to use alcohol, drugs, or any other products which contain toxins, such as certain websites, electronic games, TV programs, films, magazines, books, and conversations. I will practice coming back to the present moment to be in touch with the refreshing, healing and nourishing elements in me and around me, not letting regrets and sorrow drag me back into the past nor letting anxieties, fear, or craving pull me out of the present moment. I am determined not to try to cover up loneliness, anxiety, or other suffering by losing myself in consumption. I will contemplate interbeing and consume in a way that preserves peace, joy, and well-being in my body and consciousness, and in the collective body and consciousness of my family, my society and the Earth."

What does Buddhism teach about the weather, like who or what controls it and is it a tool of anyone or anything?
No teachings on the weather. I think you're pulling my leg.

Some great Buddhist masters are reknown for their ability to affect the weather through positive intention, prayer and meditation.

Hi Dhara :)

Hope your day is going good today.

Wow, that's very interesting to learn that Buddhism teaches that man and woman can rise to be able to control the weather.

Changing subjects, did the Buddha teach anything specific about women? I mean did the Buddha teach anything specific about women in general (not about women specifically controlling weather.)

You think I'm pulling your leg how? :)

Last edited:
I'm guessing karma is at the top of the list. To a Buddhist, karma is merely causes and conditions, cause and effect. No judgment of right or wrong.

Rebirth--most non Buddhist think this is reincarnaion, which implies a "soul" or personality moves to another life. It simply means birth in one of the six realms of existence.

Comments? Questions?

What do Buddhists believe/what does Buddhism teach about drugs and alcohol?
There are precepts of conduct. Avoid intoxication is one. That would mean abstinence if you're a monk or nun and not being stoned or drunk if you're a lay practitioner. Here is the vow:

"Aware of the suffering caused by unmindful consumption, I am committed to cultivating good health, both physical and mental, for myself, my family, and my society by practicing mindful eating, drinking, and consuming. I will practice looking deeply into how I consume the Four Kinds of Nutriments, namely edible foods, sense impressions, volition, and consciousness. I am determined not to gamble, or to use alcohol, drugs, or any other products which contain toxins, such as certain websites, electronic games, TV programs, films, magazines, books, and conversations. I will practice coming back to the present moment to be in touch with the refreshing, healing and nourishing elements in me and around me, not letting regrets and sorrow drag me back into the past nor letting anxieties, fear, or craving pull me out of the present moment. I am determined not to try to cover up loneliness, anxiety, or other suffering by losing myself in consumption. I will contemplate interbeing and consume in a way that preserves peace, joy, and well-being in my body and consciousness, and in the collective body and consciousness of my family, my society and the Earth."

What does Buddhism teach about the weather, like who or what controls it and is it a tool of anyone or anything?
No teachings on the weather. I think you're pulling my leg.

Some great Buddhist masters are reknown for their ability to affect the weather through positive intention, prayer and meditation.

Hi Dhara :)

Hope your day is going good today.

Wow, that's very interesting to learn that Buddhism teaches that man and woman can rise to be able to control the weather.

Changing subjects, did the Buddha teach anything specific about women? I mean did the Buddha teach anything specific about women in general (not about women specifically controlling weather.)

You think I'm pulling your leg how? :)
The Buddha didn't teach that men and women can rise to be able to control the weather, per se. Those kinds of abilities are "side effects" of enlightenment, not what enlightenment itself actually is, nor the extraordinary abilities that come naturally with it. It's more that compassion arises naturally and with that the strong intent to benefit others.

The Buddha tried to change the culture of India of his time, with treating untouchables and women equally, but he was not able to accomplish that.

Some Buddhist sects are still discriminatory toward women, even to the point of claiming enlightenment is impossible in a female body.

I hope that helps.

Dhara

"we have to get rid of this notion that somehow Karma does not know what it is doing. Karma knows exactly what it is doing"

"I have only one burning desire and it is to get rid of my desires"...Buddhist Bucket List

"we have to get rid of this notion that somehow Karma does not know what it is doing. Karma knows exactly what it is doing"
That sentence implies that "karma" is a person that "knows what it is doing". Karma is less personal than that. IF you are born into this life, you die. You have a body that changes continually due to aging and is subject to sickness.

That sentence implies that "karma" is a person that "knows what it is doing". Karma is less personal than that. IF you are born into this life, you die. You have a body that changes continually due to aging and is subject to sickness.
My Karma has plenty of personality...

My Karma has plenty of personality...
Is Karma the name of your dog or something? I notice you capitalize Karma.

We could say that "Karma is our LIFETIMES companion."

"I have only one burning desire and it is to get rid of my desires"...Buddhist Bucket List
You know, I'm understanding that a bit differently these days. I don't think it's about "getting rid of desires, or the others, like ignorance, anger, jealousy and pride, but more seeing through them so they no longer conceal radiant Buddha nature.

Comments? Questions?
I have never heard anyone claim that karma is reincarnation.

Comments? Questions?
I have never heard anyone claim that karma is reincarnation.
You didn't understand my post. I'm saying that neither karma nor rebirth are understood well. Rebirth is NOT karma, but karma does affect rebirth. Rebirth and reincarnation aren't the same thing.

Spiritualists teach reincarnation and karma is true. Karma is cause by our actions and we may be born in hard circumstances that are cause by our actions in past lives. This is not so much punishment as correction.
If we made others suffer because we were callous we may suffer in future lives, not to punish us but to teach us empathy for those that we previously did not care about. But we also have to settle all karma before we can be free of it. This process goes on until every action we made, and every reaction to it has been settled. Which means if we have done great harm like Hitler, we may face countless incarnations trying to put things right.
According to spiritualists there are a separate race of beings we call the angels that never incarnate, and our spiritual evolution is administrated by them. They do not hesitate to place us in a life of hardship, because they know it is for the ultimate good of our immortal souls. This process goes on through many lives until we reach a state of grace and settle all past karma. After which we continue to progress as immortal spirits in higher realms of experience.
I sat in a psychic developing circle once and a medium went into a trance, and was apparently taken over by a Chinese spirit guide. He then told me I was not meant to have an easy life for reasons I had enough knowledge to understand. Meaning I already knew about karma from past lives.
The mediums name was Trevor Williams, and although I have not seen him since the 1970's I have seen his name advertised at spiritualist church meetings in recent years. He is still a practicing medium.

Sounds like something that is worse than false
That's a broad, sweeping generalization.

No one is interested in dissuading you of your opinion, I'd just like to understand where you're coming from better.

Thanks,

Dhara

Where do I come from?

The universe gave me birth out of chaos...

Live, love and be marry and forget about others and their opinions of you...

Spiritualists teach reincarnation and karma is true. Karma is cause by our actions and we may be born in hard circumstances that are cause by our actions in past lives. This is not so much punishment as correction.
If we made others suffer because we were callous we may suffer in future lives, not to punish us but to teach us empathy for those that we previously did not care about. But we also have to settle all karma before we can be free of it. This process goes on until every action we made, and every reaction to it has been settled. Which means if we have done great harm like Hitler, we may face countless incarnations trying to put things right.
According to spiritualists there are a separate race of beings we call the angels that never incarnate, and our spiritual evolution is administrated by them. They do not hesitate to place us in a life of hardship, because they know it is for the ultimate good of our immortal souls. This process goes on through many lives until we reach a state of grace and settle all past karma. After which we continue to progress as immortal spirits in higher realms of experience.
I sat in a psychic developing circle once and a medium went into a trance, and was apparently taken over by a Chinese spirit guide. He then told me I was not meant to have an easy life for reasons I had enough knowledge to understand. Meaning I already knew about karma from past lives.
The mediums name was Trevor Williams, and although I have not seen him since the 1970's I have seen his name advertised at spiritualist church meetings in recent years. He is still a practicing medium.
I agree with most of your post. Not the part about "angels" or "immortal spirits" but the part about the life we have now, is a result of past "causes and conditions".

Human life is unique. In Buddhism, it's taught that we are reborn as animals due to ignorance. We are reborn in "God realms" due to jealousy and pride. (Think more of a billionaire's life, or a millionaire jealous of a billionaire.) And we are reborn in the "hungry spirit" realm, (think what it's like to be a drug addict or dying of AIDS or an alcoholic) due to greed. We are reborn in "Hell realms" (think violence, war etc) due to anger and hatred, and as human we have a mix of anger, jealousy, pride, ignorance and greed.

The human realm is unique in that we are able to easily train our minds in the direction of enlightenment.

I agree with most of your post. Not the part about "angels" or "immortal spirits" but the part about the life we have now, is a result of past "causes and conditions".

Human life is unique. In Buddhism, it's taught that we are reborn as animals due to ignorance. We are reborn in "God realms" due to jealousy and pride. (Think more of a billionaire's life, or a millionaire jealous of a billionaire.) And we are reborn in the "hungry spirit" realm, (think what it's like to be a drug addict or dying of AIDS or an alcoholic) due to greed. We are reborn in "Hell realms" (think violence, war etc) due to anger and hatred, and as human we have a mix of anger, jealousy, pride, ignorance and greed.

The human realm is unique in that we are able to easily train our minds in the direction of enlightenment.

A medium in a trance told me in answer to a question I asked them, that humans do not reincarnate as animals nor do animals incarnate as humans.
Animals are separate species who evolve to perfection in their own right, and regression from human to animal would serve no evolutionary purpose.
I did not believe in angels myself until I had heard the same story from many different mediums over the years, and I came to accept they probably exist. They do not have wings, but travel by thought power.

A medium in a trance told me in answer to a question I asked them, that humans do not reincarnate as animals nor do animals incarnate as humans.
Animals are separate species who evolve to perfection in their own right, and regression from human to animal would serve no evolutionary purpose.
I did not believe in angels myself until I had heard the same story from many different mediums over the years, and I came to accept they probably exist. They do not have wings, but travel by thought power.
That's what the medium told you, and you believe that. It's OK. I don't consult mediums, I study Buddhism and consult Lamas with my questions. We are NOT that far aparat.

Rather than "humans" "reincarnating" as animals, it's more than there is no solid "self" that transmigrates. More like qualities that move from one rebirth to another and rebirth and reincarnation are quite different.

Reincarnation implies that a person, or an animal with personality goes from life to life. I don't see it quite that way myself.

Forum List

Back