Buckyballs

PixieStix

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2009
Once again, government trying to destroy a thriving business

CPSC: Thank you for trying to drive a $50 million
New York-based consumer product company out of business.

Buckyballs | Buckycubes | The Amazing Magnetic Desktoy You Can't Put Down

"We are deeply disappointed that the CPSC has decided to go after our firm - and magnets in general. Magnets have been around for centuries and are used for all sorts of purposes. Our products are marketed to those 14 and above and out of over half a billion magnets in the market place CPSC has received reports of less than two-dozen cases of misuse. We worked with the Commission in order to do an education video less than 9 months ago, so we are shocked they are taking this action. We find it unfair, unjust and un-American," added Zucker. "We will vigorously fight this action taken by President Obama's hand picked agency."

There have been about 12 reported cases of children swallowing buckyballs and being taken to the emergency room.

Is the government gonna stop making coins with that same logic? What is it that the government really wants? One has to wonder

Got to love when parents take no responsibility for what their kids put in their mouths.

I gave these away as stocking stuffer last year and they were a hit!

I need to order something from them even though I don't need it.

What else would Obama do to show that he really does not care about America ?

Love your Avatar Syrenn !

you're right... they should make unsafe toys for children

Any toy is unsafe dirtbag.

Also, they should not let kids ride in cars until there are zero kids deaths....otherwise by your logic they are letting kids ride in unsafer cars.

What a tool.

:eusa_eh:

No Parents should keep unsafe adult toys in a safe place, or teach their children to not touch certain things, that way we can be free of the nanny state. Would be more prosperous too

You are really all for the government forcing these guys out of business? because of a few incidences of children doing kid stuff. How about we ban all small things?

Last edited:

As i recall... it is not a child's toy. Its marketed to adults. If parents give them to their children that's on them.

Absolutely, and they have warning labels

Maybe the kids should come with a warning label, for parents who don't get it :D

The company markets them exclusively to grown-ups and teenagers (14+), developed its safety program in cooperation with CPSC with responsible marketing steps and appropriate warnings to keep them out of children's hands.

from reading the link, it is appears that this a responsible company.

of course, the link is to the company's website, but they call them desk toys, they look like desk toys, so i'm going to believe them. they're not intended for kids.

it's not their fault if some parents are idiots. apparently, whoever is in charge at cpsc is also an idiot.

Once again, government trying to destroy a thriving business

CPSC: Thank you for trying to drive a $50 million
New York-based consumer product company out of business.

"We are deeply disappointed that the CPSC has decided to go after our firm - and magnets in general. Magnets have been around for centuries and are used for all sorts of purposes. Our products are marketed to those 14 and above and out of over half a billion magnets in the market place CPSC has received reports of less than two-dozen cases of misuse. We worked with the Commission in order to do an education video less than 9 months ago, so we are shocked they are taking this action. We find it unfair, unjust and un-American," added Zucker. "We will vigorously fight this action taken by President Obama's hand picked agency."

There have been about 12 reported cases of children swallowing buckyballs and being taken to the emergency room.

Is the government gonna stop making coins with that same logic? What is it that the government really wants? One has to wonder

Wow, used to be that responsible parents knew that you don't give toddlers anything that can fit in their mouths. Now some parents rely on gubmint to tell them what is safe or not. It's insane.

Many children have wound up in the ER for swallowing coins, marbles, you name it. We can't bare the earth of all dangers. Common sense should come into play.

Remember the liberal Dem who wanted to make a law stating that all cleaning buckets had to have a small hole so they would continually leak? She thought this would prevent unsupervised toddlers from drowning when they fell into the buckets. Predicatable reaction from the left. Don't ever blame individuals or demand personal responsibility, just try to save them from their stupidity no matter how stupid the solution is.

Liberals look out across the country, or the world, and see idiots that are in need of their wisdom and they intend to save us all from ourselves. The people who are worse off, in virtually every aspect, are those who embraced big brother and ceded control of their lives to them long ago.

The Obama administration, in typical fashion, is using this "for your own good" scam to make even more jobs disappear. He has made quite an effort to take down some companies and grow the welfare state to epic proportions. I think he was hoping there would be more government dependents (read: Dem voters) by the election.

Last edited:

Yeah we need to childproof the world.....it's up to parents to do this stuff, I have no problem with labels or guides to how old the child should be for a toy. but I played with the 3.5" GI Joes as a kid, and they had all kinds of parts you could swallow, but we made it through...

Didn't know these were toys. I thought you were talking about real buckeyballs - more accurately, buckminsterfullerene. C60. It is a carbon compoud in the shape of a ball with 60 carbon atoms and a caged structure of fused pentagonal carbon rings - like the geodesic domes (or a soccer ball) that Buckminster Fuller is known for, thus the name. Buckminsterfullerene is a common compound found in charcoal and fireplace ash.

Richard Smalley of Rice University was one of the winners of the Nobel Prize in Chemistry for the actual synthesis of the compound.

buckyball-2.gif

Anyway, back to the topic.

Last edited:

Yeah we need to childproof the world.....it's up to parents to do this stuff, I have no problem with labels or guides to how old the child should be for a toy. but I played with the 3.5" GI Joes as a kid, and they had all kinds of parts you could swallow, but we made it through...

do you really think parents are supposed to stand and stare at their kids 24/7?

if something is sold for a kid, it should be safe for a kid.

you're not a parent, are you?

Isn't this product labeled for ages 14 and up?

I think you are the one whose never had kids.

Very few parents would ever say their kids are not at risk a great deal.

Got kids...can't live in a two story house. I'm waiting for that one. I hear Bloombrains is thinking about it. Right after he outlaws streetcurbs and snow.

They are marketed for 14 and up. It is an adult toy Jillian. Yes sometimes you have to watch your kids 24/7

I did, and he hated me for it at the time, but now he is glad I did :D

Didn't know these were toys. I thought you were talking about real buckeyballs - more accurately, buckminsterfullerene. C60. It is a carbon compoud in the shape of a ball with 60 carbon atoms and a caged structure of fused pentagonal carbon rings - like the geodesic domes (or a soccer ball) that Buckminster Fuller is known for, thus the name. Buckminsterfullerene is a common compound found in charcoal and fireplace ash.

Richard Smalley of Rice University was one of the winners of the Nobel Prize in Chemistry for the actual synthesis of the compound.

buckyball-2.gif

Thank you Dr. Science.

buckyball-2.gif

Thank you Dr. Science.

:lmao:

2 + 2 still = 4 :D

Check this out.

The CPSC is busting our Balls
(and our Cubes too!)

In 2010, The Consumer Product Safety Commission approved the safety program we currently have in place. Now, after more than two years, they're saying our extensive measures aren't enough and we should be put out of business. Out of more than half a billion magnets sold, the CPSC reports less than two-dozen incidents with our products. While even one incident is too many, we stand by our comprehensive safety program and believe responsible adults should still be able to enjoy Buckyballs® and Buckycubes™.

We are going to fight hard to keep our products on the market... and our balls in your hands. But we need your help. Make your opinion heard: post, tweet, comment and make noise. Tell the CPSC to keep their hands off your balls (and cubes). Or just order a set to help us stay in business and defend our company and products. Use promo code "ThanksCPSC" for free shipping on any order.

It's NOT sold for a kid, Jillian...

You're missing the point...

Forum List

Back