Buckyballs

you're right... they should make unsafe toys for children

Yeah we need to childproof the world.....it's up to parents to do this stuff, I have no problem with labels or guides to how old the child should be for a toy. but I played with the 3.5" GI Joes as a kid, and they had all kinds of parts you could swallow, but we made it through...

do you really think parents are supposed to stand and stare at their kids 24/7?

if something is sold for a kid, it should be safe for a kid.

you're not a parent, are you?

it's not sold for kids.

Yeah we need to childproof the world.....it's up to parents to do this stuff, I have no problem with labels or guides to how old the child should be for a toy. but I played with the 3.5" GI Joes as a kid, and they had all kinds of parts you could swallow, but we made it through...

It's NOT sold for a kid, Jillian...

You're missing the point...

maybe...

but i don't think so. it's intended as a desk toy. it's not too much to ask that kids not die because of it. if it was one kid, i'd say, eh... freak accident. but it isn't

i'm afraid i don't understand big babies who stamp their feet and get upset every time something is made safe.

imo, the whole caveat emptor thing ended after "unsafe at any speed"..... or should have

*shrug*

maybe...

i'll go look again.

i still think he doesn't have kids.

and i find the rightwing obsession with allowing them to play with dangerous things kind of weird.

That is not the point of this thread Jillian. The point of the thread is to bring attention to the fact that again, a government entity is trying to shut down a business with in the guise of safety for our children. Should we ban all small things?

maybe...

i'll go look again.

and i find the rightwing obsession with allowing them to play with dangerous things kind of weird.
Where did THAT come from?

maybe...

i'll go look again.

Yeah I was about 8 or 9....so old enough.
The obession is we dont want to freak out after ever little thing. How did kids survive without the nanny state and consumer advocates?
It's more about control and child seats are some of the worst, I really think those guys lobbied the hell out of congress/states for these rediculous laws....You need like 15 differnt care seats now....until they're like 15...come on.....we didnt have car seats in the 80s past like 4 or 5.

You sound like a person that would read 100 baby books to know what to expect..you dont need them, I mean I read a couple but I found them to be useless.....You get better tips from actual parents then some trying to make a manual on how to raise kids

maybe...

but i don't think so. it's intended as a desk toy. it's not too much to ask that kids not die because of it. if it was one kid, i'd say, eh... freak accident. but it isn't

i'm afraid i don't understand big babies who stamp their feet and get upset every time something is made safe.

imo, the whole caveat emptor thing ended after "unsafe at any speed"..... or should have

*shrug*

My cordless drill isn't sold for kids either, but I am responsible enough to know that my kid shouldn't be playing with it...

maybe...

i'll go look again.

That is not the point of this thread Jillian. The point of the thread is to bring attention to the fact that again, a government entity is trying to shut down a business with in the guise of safety for our children. Should we ban all small things?

DING DING DING!!!!!!!!!! It's an excuse to take freedom, make it more difficult and expensive to do business.....that's why we hate regulation....it sounds good, but is usually pointless...Kids were fine before all this crap...put a label on the toy for the age of the child, they do that on lots of toys, I'm ok with that.....that's all you need.

It's why I dont mind lables on music, movies, video games. It gives parents the ability to make a choice, it's not perfect, but then nothing is

maybe...

*shrug*

My cordless drill isn't sold for kids either, but I am responsible enough to know that my kid shouldn't be playing with it...

your cordless drill is a tool. it is not a toy intended for display and to be played with.

nice try, buddy. :)

maybe...

*shrug*

I let my kids stick their hands in sockets, they get a "charge" out of that.....

maybe...

*shrug*
How is a steel ball "made unsafe", especially when it is labeled correctly?

Should we put ball bearing manufacturers out of business, too?

In effect, yes. Or arrange to have another responsible adult doing it in their stead. That's what the role of parent entails.

Yes, I am a parent.

maybe...

*shrug*

your cordless drill is a tool. it is not a toy intended for display and to be played with.

Unsupervised, a child doesn't know the difference...

This is not marketed as a child's toy...

You're still not getting it...

Unsupervised, a child doesn't know the difference...

This is not marketed as a child's toy...

You're still not getting it...

Liberals have to have everything in writing and triplicate, they cant use reason and logic to figure it out....that's why they want the government to do it for them......

Yeah, I think they may have given money to republicans....because if they did to democrats, this wouldnt be happening.

maybe...

*shrug*

as far as i can tell, no kids have died from buckyballs. there was one case of a 20 mo old swallowing magnets but it didn't say it was buckyballs.

they voluntarily recalled their product to put clearer safety labeling on it.

art some point, it comes down to parents being responsible for their kids' health and welfare.

the story in the link talks about a toddler swallowing 37 buckyballs.

i think that's the parents' fault. it takes a fairly long time to swallow 37 anything, and a toddler shouldn't be left unattended.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...gnet-incident/2012/03/06/gIQADjbruR_blog.html

Didn't know these were toys. I thought you were talking about real buckeyballs - more accurately, buckminsterfullerene. C60. It is a carbon compoud in the shape of a ball with 60 carbon atoms and a caged structure of fused pentagonal carbon rings - like the geodesic domes (or a soccer ball) that Buckminster Fuller is known for, thus the name. Buckminsterfullerene is a common compound found in charcoal and fireplace ash.

Richard Smalley of Rice University was one of the winners of the Nobel Prize in Chemistry for the actual synthesis of the compound.

buckyball-2.gif

Anyway, back to the topic.

LOL... when i first started hearing about a toy call a bucky ball.. that i what i thought of too....

Forum List

Back