Brown Case Shows Need for Street Cameras

I absolutely detest arguments built on the "it's for the children" rationale. This is the road to hell.
I detest those who say that if I have nothing to hide and if I'm not a criminal, I should be ready to give up my rights.

I absolutely detest arguments built on the "it's for the children" rationale. This is the road to hell.

OK. If it makes you feel any better, the street cameras prevent some dirtbag from pouncing on YOU, kicking YOUR teeth in, stealing YOUR car, YOUR wallet, and YOUR wife.

Better now ?

He's taking your totalitarian vision to the next logical step. Every person has a camera implanted in their forehead and the images are beamed to the NSA.

If you're not a criminal, what do you have to hide, right?

Maybe he should start his own thread. If you're not a criminal, you have nothing to hide. RIGHT!

Last edited:
The places where cop cars have cameras don't have a problem with police brutality.

When police arrest people, they are read their miranda rights. But in the city of Rialto, California, they hear something else added to their interactions with police officers.

You are being videotaped

The police chief of Rialto, California, William Farrar, helped oversee the outfitting of all 66 police officers with cameras for use while they are on duty.

When you put a camera on a police officer, they tend to behave a little better, follow the rules a little better. And if a citizen knows the officer is wearing a camera, chances are the citizen will behave a little better.

This may sound strange, but in reality, it is scientific. The act of observation changes the observed, as first demonstrated on the quantum level by Werner Heisenberg. As reported in Scientific American, even the illusion of observation causes people, on a subconcious level, to behave better. Called the Observer Effect, it has dramatically changed life in Rialto.

With an 88% reduction in complaints filed against the police department, and a 60% reduction in police use of force, the city of Rialto has seen a savings in court costs, legal paperwork, and lawsuits. In addition, the video recorded evidence has improved conviction rates. As William Bratton, a former leader within both the New York and Los Angeles police departments, as said,

So much of what goes on in the field is ‘he-said-she-said,’ and the camera offers an objective perspective. Officers not familiar with the technology may see it as something harmful. But the irony is, officers actually tend to benefit. Very often, the officer’s version of events is the accurate version.

I don't see how to quote that link so what appears between " - " is from the link.
==========================================================
"
When police arrest people, they are read their miranda rights. But in the city of Rialto, California, they hear something else added to their interactions with police officers.

You are being videotaped

The police chief of Rialto, California, William Farrar, helped oversee the outfitting of all 66 police officers with cameras for use while they are on duty.

When you put a camera on a police officer, they tend to behave a little better, follow the rules a little better. And if a citizen knows the officer is wearing a camera, chances are the citizen will behave a little better.

This may sound strange, but in reality, it is scientific. The act of observation changes the observed, as first demonstrated on the quantum level by Werner Heisenberg. As reported in Scientific American, even the illusion of observation causes people, on a subconcious level, to behave better. Called the Observer Effect, it has dramatically changed life in Rialto.

With an 88% reduction in complaints filed against the police department, and a 60% reduction in police use of force, the city of Rialto has seen a savings in court costs, legal paperwork, and lawsuits. In addition, the video recorded evidence has improved conviction rates. As William Bratton, a former leader within both the New York and Los Angeles police departments, as said,

So much of what goes on in the field is ‘he-said-she-said,’ and the camera offers an objective perspective. Officers not familiar with the technology may see it as something harmful. But the irony is, officers actually tend to benefit. Very often, the officer’s version of events is the accurate version."

====================================================

How about the police departments stop buying riot gear and invest in cameras instead.

rialto_ca_police_cameras-e1408161856700.jpg
Good post! And just as cops are caught when acting criminal, so are private citizens caught the same way by street cameras.

And just as cops are exonerated (or protected), so are law-abiding private citizens protected by the street cameras showing that they were law abiding (despite some liar claiming they did something wrong)

Last edited:
Yeah, just what we need, more government intervention in our lives. Sheesh!

Yeah, Sheesh is right. The only intervention in your life is MORE PROTECTION FOR YOU. And less chance of you being crime victimized. What other "intervention" is there ?

I don't need your protection.

It's not MY protection, it's OUR protection. And take a guess how little Carlie Brucia would answer you, if she could come down from Heaven and post in this forum. Go ahead. Take one guess.

OK. If it makes you feel any better, the street cameras prevent some dirtbag from pouncing on YOU, kicking YOUR teeth in, stealing YOUR car, YOUR wallet, and YOUR wife.

Better now ?

They don't prevent any of that. London has cameras up the wazoo and they're still dealing with crime and terrorists blowing up buses.

Maybe he should start his own thread. If you're not a criminal, you have nothing to hide. RIGHT!

This one is going pretty well. What do you think about the implants idea? We could have full health tracking that way too. You're doctor will know your sick and send help before you even know you need it. Think of cost savings to the health care system.

They don't prevent any of that. London has cameras up the wazoo and they're still dealing with crime and terrorists blowing up buses.

That doesn't mean they aren't preventing crime. Of course they're preventing crime. Every criminal who is convicted from a video recording and imprisoned, is then STOPPED from committing further street crime (in some cases for his/her entire life) Question isn't what crimes are OCCURING. Question is how many crimes are NOT OCCURING, due to criminals caught by cameras being taken off the streets (for years, for decades) And the answer is very many.

You can try and bait me, but it diesn't work.

I want none of your control freak intervention.

I notice you wouldn't take a guess about what Carlie Brucia would say. I also notice that you punked out from my other question > "What other "intervention" is there ?"

And now here's another question for you. How are street cameras "control freak" ? That doesn't make any sense. Where's the "control" you speak of ??????

This one is going pretty well. What do you think about the implants idea? We could have full health tracking that way too. You're doctor will know your sick and send help before you even know you need it. Think of cost savings to the health care system.

I think it belongs in another thread. And is OFF TOPIC in this one.:rolleyes:

You know what else would work to stop crime - mandatory genetic screening. Everyone is directed to give up a DNA sample and then we're all in the national database. Anytime a criminal leaves DNA then they'd be found by the search.

Big Brother luvs you and wants to hug you in his warm, protective embrace.

Anyone willing to trade liberty for security deserves neither.

Irrelevant. Street cameras don't make you trade away liberty. In fact, you GAIN liberty, by being liberated from criminals who would/could criminalize you.

Forum List

Back