Brown Case Shows Need for Street Cameras

Here's what happens thousands of times every day in America. A crime is committed out in broad daylight, but nobody was there to see it. Or if/whenever somebody says they were, nobody knows if that's true. Result ? No charges placed becasue of insufficient evidence.

At the same time, an innocent person could get caught up in something when in the aftermath, it appears like he might have done a crime. He gets arrested wrongly.

All this could be avoided by having street cameras, hooked into recorders.

I am a big fan of the TV show "Forensic Files". It is amazing how many criminals would have gone scott free had it not been for the forensic science investigation. But many criminals ARE going free right now, only because of the lack of street cameras which could catch criminals in the act, before the cops even arrive at the scene.

The Brown case is a perfect example. Had a street camera been on in the street where the shooting occured we could simple play back the video and know exactly what happened. There was no camera, so we can't. Contrast that with the camera/recorder of the convenience store which WAS operating, and DID catch thug boy Brown right in his tracks. And without that video, we would be seeing this Brown case quite differently right now.

Another example is the Carlie Brucia murder case. Killer Joseph Smith was convicted killing 11 year old Carlie. But would he have been even arrested, if not for a video which showed him and little Carlie Brucia walking together through a car wash, where Smith picked her up ? Probably not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIgd0I77Rao

Given what's happened in legal cases with traffic crimes being the sole 'witness' I don't think more street cameras are the solution. But absolutely every patrol vehicle should have a dashcam. And officer-worn 'badge cams' are a great idea as well. Coulda skipped this whole Ferguson mess if the officer'd had one or both to document what happened.

Some police resist cameras, others embrace it. I'm all for it. It'll prove when officers do right, while also proving when the few bad apples do wrong helping us get rid of them so they don't tarnish the whole force.

Last edited:
Did you know some states have laws that you must inform the other person that you are recording them?

1 Party Notification
2 Party Notification

I live in a 2 Party Notification State meaning BOTH Parties must understand that they are being recorded otherwise, all that info gets thrown out in Court. Is the NSA informing anyone? No.

What State do you live in Mr "Law and Order Conservative"?

State by State Compliance
I live in Florida. So ?

BTW - doesn't that 2 party stuff pertain to AUDIO recording ? I'm only talking about video. Your link is about telephone conversations, not video.

Last edited:
Grab a tape recorder and go up to ANYONE on the street and say that you're gonna' record their conversations and see what happens. They'll tell ya' to f*ck off and rightly so.

I suppose you would think they're planning something criminal right?

Nobody's talking about recording conversations, except you. You're oof topic. You want to talk about that, you could start your own thread. Go for it.

I agree. Big Brother already has its intrusive tentacles in our lives. It could be that the cops could have more cameras in their cars though. I'm not fond of the "1984" mentality.

If you can't be seen by a camera, while you're out in the street (or in a public facility), then you can't go outside at all. Because every time you go out, you are with dozens(or hundreds or thousands) of people who are seeing you.:D

I am stating to you quite plainly that simply because I do not agree with your solution does not mean that I want children abducted and molested or killed.

Do not presume to think that YOURS is the only correct answer to the problem.

Do I have to be clearer than that?
Yes you do. Because by not agreeing with installing street camera/recorders, you are allowing many abductions and molestations to occur, by allowing those criminals to remain on the street. If not for the car wash camera/recorder, Joseph Smith probably would not have been caught (prosecutors said), and would have kept on abducting, molesting, raping, killing. Now just multiply him by some number in the thousands.

Anyone willing to trade liberty for security deserves neither.

Street cameras don't make you "trade liberty"

You have no less liberty with a street camera than without it. You're ALREADY being seen as you openly walk in the street, or WalMart, or whereever. In fact, you'd have more liberty. Many people who would otherwise have become a crime victim, now won't be.
Got any kids ? Worry about them getting harmed y some creep ? With the camera/recorders, there's less chance of that happening. Less chance of your car being stolen. Less chance of your house being burglarized, etc.
You get LIBERTY from criminal victimization.

Given what's happened in legal cases with traffic crimes being the sole 'witness' I don't think more street cameras are the solution. But absolutely every patrol vehicle should have a dashcam. And officer-worn 'badge cams' are a great idea as well. Coulda skipped this whole Ferguson mess if the officer'd had one or both to document what happened.

Some police resist cameras, others embrace it. I'm all for it. It'll prove when officers do right, while also proving when the few bad apples do wrong helping us get rid of them so they don't tarnish the whole force.
BINGO!!

If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear!
BINGO!! Only folks who should be in the opposition to street cameras category, would be CRIMINALS. Nobody else has any reason to oppose them, and plenty of reason to support them. They help PROTECT us.
They also can help to reduce criminal LITIGATION, which is enormously expensive, and can thereby reduce govt spending, and keep taxes down.

Read Orwell,

Then retire to your basement bedroom and silently weep for America.
I read Orwell many years ago. Street cameras are not anything connected to Orwell's depictions. (except for criminals, maybe) LOL.

No, I'm an ordinary law-abiding citizen, who wants to see little girls like Carlie Brucia not be abducted, raped, and killed. So now that I've answered your question, which came second, you may now answer MY question which came first. Except that I'll I'll add one more part to it. Are you a moron ?

Ferguson got a Federal grant for dash cams.........but only bought & installed two...........

Ferguson got a Federal grant for dash cams.........but only bought & installed two...........

They need a lot more than that + hundreds of street cameras all over the town. Could have prevented all the trouble they're having now + hundreds of other street crimes.

Yes you do. Because by not agreeing with installing street camera/recorders, you are allowing many abductions and molestations to occur, by allowing those criminals to remain on the street. If not for the car wash camera/recorder, Joseph Smith probably would not have been caught (prosecutors said), and would have kept on abducting, molesting, raping, killing. Now just multiply him by some number in the thousands.

I absolutely detest arguments built on the "it's for the children" rationale. This is the road to hell.

Remember that this thread is in the Clean Debate Zone. I have gone through and cleaned up the insults and attacks. Thanks

The places where cop cars have cameras don't have a problem with police brutality.

When police arrest people, they are read their miranda rights. But in the city of Rialto, California, they hear something else added to their interactions with police officers.

You are being videotaped

The police chief of Rialto, California, William Farrar, helped oversee the outfitting of all 66 police officers with cameras for use while they are on duty.

When you put a camera on a police officer, they tend to behave a little better, follow the rules a little better. And if a citizen knows the officer is wearing a camera, chances are the citizen will behave a little better.

This may sound strange, but in reality, it is scientific. The act of observation changes the observed, as first demonstrated on the quantum level by Werner Heisenberg. As reported in Scientific American, even the illusion of observation causes people, on a subconcious level, to behave better. Called the Observer Effect, it has dramatically changed life in Rialto.

With an 88% reduction in complaints filed against the police department, and a 60% reduction in police use of force, the city of Rialto has seen a savings in court costs, legal paperwork, and lawsuits. In addition, the video recorded evidence has improved conviction rates. As William Bratton, a former leader within both the New York and Los Angeles police departments, as said,

So much of what goes on in the field is ‘he-said-she-said,’ and the camera offers an objective perspective. Officers not familiar with the technology may see it as something harmful. But the irony is, officers actually tend to benefit. Very often, the officer’s version of events is the accurate version.

I don't see how to quote that link so what appears between " - " is from the link.
==========================================================
"
When police arrest people, they are read their miranda rights. But in the city of Rialto, California, they hear something else added to their interactions with police officers.

You are being videotaped

The police chief of Rialto, California, William Farrar, helped oversee the outfitting of all 66 police officers with cameras for use while they are on duty.

When you put a camera on a police officer, they tend to behave a little better, follow the rules a little better. And if a citizen knows the officer is wearing a camera, chances are the citizen will behave a little better.

This may sound strange, but in reality, it is scientific. The act of observation changes the observed, as first demonstrated on the quantum level by Werner Heisenberg. As reported in Scientific American, even the illusion of observation causes people, on a subconcious level, to behave better. Called the Observer Effect, it has dramatically changed life in Rialto.

With an 88% reduction in complaints filed against the police department, and a 60% reduction in police use of force, the city of Rialto has seen a savings in court costs, legal paperwork, and lawsuits. In addition, the video recorded evidence has improved conviction rates. As William Bratton, a former leader within both the New York and Los Angeles police departments, as said,

So much of what goes on in the field is ‘he-said-she-said,’ and the camera offers an objective perspective. Officers not familiar with the technology may see it as something harmful. But the irony is, officers actually tend to benefit. Very often, the officer’s version of events is the accurate version."

====================================================

How about the police departments stop buying riot gear and invest in cameras instead.

rialto_ca_police_cameras-e1408161856700.jpg

Here's what happens thousands of times every day in America. A crime is committed out in broad daylight, but nobody was there to see it. Or if/whenever somebody says they were, nobody knows if that's true. Result ? No charges placed becasue of insufficient evidence.

At the same time, an innocent person could get caught up in something when in the aftermath, it appears like he might have done a crime. He gets arrested wrongly.

All this could be avoided by having street cameras, hooked into recorders.

I am a big fan of the TV show "Forensic Files". It is amazing how many criminals would have gone scott free had it not been for the forensic science investigation. But many criminals ARE going free right now, only because of the lack of street cameras which could catch criminals in the act, before the cops even arrive at the scene.

The Brown case is a perfect example. Had a street camera been on in the street where the shooting occured we could simple play back the video and know exactly what happened. There was no camera, so we can't. Contrast that with the camera/recorder of the convenience store which WAS operating, and DID catch thug boy Brown right in his tracks. And without that video, we would be seeing this Brown case quite differently right now.

Another example is the Carlie Brucia murder case. Killer Joseph Smith was convicted killing 11 year old Carlie. But would he have been even arrested, if not for a video which showed him and little Carlie Brucia walking together through a car wash, where Smith picked her up ? Probably not.

[ame]

Yeah, just what we need, more government intervention in our lives. Sheesh!

Forum List

Back