Brothers Kicked Off HGTV Channel Over Anti-Gay Remarks.

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
Twin brothers David and Jason Benham have lost their opportunity to host their own HGTV show.

The brothers ran afoul of the network after the site Right Wing Watch published a post about the pair, labeling David Benham as an "anti-gay, anti-choice extremist" for reportedly leading a prayer rally in 2012 outside of the Democratic National Convention held in Charlotte, North Carolina.

The site posted a recording of Benham talking to a talk show host about "homosexuality and its agenda that is attacking the nation" and "demonic ideologies" taking hold in colleges and public schools.

Benham also discusses the fight for North Carolina's Amendment One, which involved a ban on same-sex marriage and civil unions in the state constitution.

The Benham brothers were the planned stars of the HGTV show "Flip It Forward," set to premiere in October, in which they would have helped families purchase homes they otherwise could not afford.

Oh well, one more TV channel deleted from my FAVORITES LIST. Looks like free speech really has been taking a beating in the private enterprise world lately. Hopefully, HGTV will reconsider this ridiculous action and bring the show back on. Or some other network will air it.

As the brothers themselves said >> "With all of the grotesque things that can be seen and heard on television today you would think there would be room for two twin brothers who are faithful to our families, committed to biblical principles, and dedicated professionals. If our faith costs us a television show then so be it."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/08/showbiz/tv/benham-brothers-hgtv/

Last edited:
What is sad is the families that will lose out on a new home because of political persecution of someone expressing their faith.

Twin brothers David and Jason Benham have lost their opportunity to host their own HGTV show.

The brothers ran afoul of the network after the site Right Wing Watch published a post about the pair, labeling David Benham as an "anti-gay, anti-choice extremist" for reportedly leading a prayer rally in 2012 outside of the Democratic National Convention held in Charlotte, North Carolina.

The site posted a recording of Benham talking to a talk show host about "homosexuality and its agenda that is attacking the nation" and "demonic ideologies" taking hold in colleges and public schools.

Benham also discusses the fight for North Carolina's Amendment One, which involved a ban on same-sex marriage and civil unions in the state constitution.

The Benham brothers were the planned stars of the HGTV show "Flip It Forward," set to premiere in October, in which they would have helped families purchase homes they otherwise could not afford.

Oh well, one more TV channel deleted from my FAVORITES LIST. Looks like free speech really has been taking a beating in the private enterprise world lately. Hopefully, HGTV will reconsider this ridiculous action and bring the show back on. Or some other network will air it.

As the brothers themselves said >> "With all of the grotesque things that can be seen and heard on television today you would think there would be room for two twin brothers who are faithful to our families, committed to biblical principles, and dedicated professionals. If our faith costs us a television show then so be it."

Benham brothers lose HGTV show after 'anti-gay' remarks - CNN.com

Screw HGTV. I don't believe I ever watched anything on that channel but I'll to it that I won't support them in the future. I don't believe in firing folks just because they don't share an opinion.

What is sad is the families that will lose out on a new home because of political persecution of someone expressing their faith.

how is this political persecution? this is a private company making a business decision. if you're a public figure and you make certain statements, those statements will carry more consequences than if you're a private figure.

this is not persecution in the slightest avatar. i respect you, but i disgree with you here.

their tv station, their choice

as is the brother's choice....

As is the choice of millions of people to now no longer watch HGTV.

exactly right. i see absolutely nothing wrong with this and it should be this way. the channel obviously is about making money, and if they feel they will have their bottom line hurt by these guys, let them go. if they feel these guys will make them money, they will keep them.

simple really.

Screw HGTV. I don't believe I ever watched anything on that channel but I'll to it that I won't support them in the future. I don't believe in firing folks just because they don't share an opinion.

but this is a public business, based on people supporting the show by watching it or advertisers paying to be on the show. this show would have calls for boycotts and adverts pulling out....pure business decision.

the market of free ideas.

The thing is though, you really can't blame HGTV. They know they would face product boycotts, and the left would go after them and label the entire network homophobic.
In this new era of McCarthyism, just chalk it up as par for the course.

but this is a public business, based on people supporting the show by watching it or advertisers paying to be on the show. this show would have calls for boycotts and adverts pulling out....pure business decision.

the market of free ideas.

That works both directions, though. I have a feeling that political correctness played a bigger role in their decision than boycotts or protests. Whatever the case, I will protest by boycotting (not that it will be noticed - but at least I will sleep more peacefully).

how is this political persecution? this is a private company making a business decision. if you're a public figure and you make certain statements, those statements will carry more consequences than if you're a private figure.

this is not persecution in the slightest avatar. i respect you, but i disgree with you here.

You claim it's a business decision. Yeah ? HOW ?

If those brothers were muslim they'd be even more anti-homo and they'd still have their show.

bullshit

Bullshit to which? Even the most so-called 'moderate' of muslims are staunchly anti-homo and anti-women's rights (that's why their women have to wear that headgear -- they're still property) but they'll not be held to account because muslims qualify as dem-style 'victims'. And any criticism could be met by explosives.

The thing is though, you really can't blame HGTV. They know they would face product boycotts, and the left would go after them and label the entire network homophobic.
In this new era of McCarthyism, just chalk it up as par for the course.

I still haven't seen one shred of evidence of potential boycotts, or any adverse effects of being called homophobic. I'd guess being called homophobic might actually make the network more popular. I'm not buying the business decision thing. My guess is HGTV has a few queers in the executive ranks, and they're just throwing their weight around.

I watch it all the time. I thought you were talking about the Property Brothers, They've had lesbian/gay couples on their show a lot.

Forum List

Back