Bring Back Superman

We really just were talking about rules of evidence. But thanks for your insight into the overarching context of the situation. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by nycflasher
I think you misunderstand some things here.
For one, rules of evidence are there to protect us. They are there so that the long arm of the law is not extended further than the law allows.
I absolutely agree. But that is intent. In reality, the rules of evidence are normally twisted to the point of insanity. Face it, a defence attorney isn't going to attempt exclusion unless it is damning. If the cop/investigator was wrong, then use the facts and prosecute the cop/investigator in a seperate trial.
Criminals have rights, too.
We all do.
Until PROVEN guilty in a court of law with the same standards applied to all.
The last part there is where our government falls short sometimes.
Again, I totally agree. I originally thought that a polygraph and/or truth serum could be used to exclude the innocent. Some other posters have stated that those methods are not reliable. My mistake. I believed they were at the DNA level of reliability. Without the ability to use scientific questioning, the fifth amendment is still needed to allow the right to remain silent. I wish we paid as much attention to victims rights as we do the rights of the accused. Our criminal justice system is frustrating to everyone but the trial lawyers association.
You go ahead and support illegal searches. And as a law abiding citizen I'll fight with ever last breath for the right not to be subjected to ILLEGAL search and seizure.

I really don't see your logic here, with all due respect.
Everything I advocated would require changing the constitution. A constitutional convention that revamps the justice and or correctional system is remote at best. My entire frustration is that if you are well to do and can afford a quality lawyer you will win. He will be able to steer the increasingly liberal judges into excluding evidence that was in many cases legally obtained. He will hire consultants to ensure a sympathetic jury that won't get the entire truth. If convicted, he will drag out on appeals for years getting fat. The guy off the street working with a pro-bono legal aid / aclu lawyer will get a defence that pushes the buttons. I am trying to come up with a way that applies the SUPERMAN tenets of TRUTH, and Justice. Aint that the American Way? Should I trademark that? Thanks for reading.

Forum List

Back