Bret Boone Cut from Mariners

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
You would have thought the Mariner's front office would have been a little more willing to help rehab their star second baseman. :mad:

Bret is a class act. I wish him well wherever he ends up.

------------
Boone cut by Mariners

July 3, 2005
SEATTLE (AP) -- Bret Boone made a tearful exit from the Seattle Mariners, who cut the three-time All-Star on Sunday after a half-season of struggles at the plate.

The second baseman, a 12-year veteran with 252 homers, was designated for assignment. Seattle has 10 days to trade him or put him on waivers.

``It's tough. I was looking at it, and I think it's all for the better, really. I think it's time for me to go,'' Boone said, his voice breaking up. ``It's still emotional. I'm actually excited about what the future holds but ... It's a pretty sad day for me.''

Boone, 36, is hitting .231 with seven homers and 34 RBIs. He was benched for four games two weeks ago to work on his swing with batting instructor Don Baylor. On his return, he played well during a three-game series in San Diego, but manager Mike Hargrove said Sunday that ``he has reverted back to where he was before.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-mariners-boone&prov=ap&type=lgns

Wow, that's a bit of a surprise. Boone won't be out long. If they offer him up, somebody will take him. Sometimes all a player needs is a change of scenery.

Forum List

Back