BREAKING: Sen. Jeff Flake (R-AZ) announces he will not run again...

Right now, on all 3 cable news channels, Sen. Jeff Flake is announcing that he will not run again for office.

Apparently, he's not happy about serving in a screwed up Congress under a president with no leadership qualities. And, he's not just talking about Trump, he's talking about the whole government, from the backbiting and fighting in Congress between the members all the way up to Trump and the way he's doing things.

He really doesn't sound happy about the way Congress and the government has divided itself.

Arizona's Jeff Flake announces he will not seek re-election to U.S. Senate

The bombshell, which Flake, R-Ariz., intended to detail Tuesday afternoon on the Senate floor, will further roil Republican hopes of keeping the party's 52-seat Senate majority in the midterm elections of Trump's first term, when the president's party historically loses seats in Congress.

It also likely will upend the race for Flake's seat.

Flake, one of the Senate's more prominent critics of President Donald Trump, has been struggling in the polls.

He told The Arizona Republic ahead of his announcement that he has become convinced "there may not be a place for a Republican like me in the current Republican climate or the current Republican Party."

'Here's the bottom line ...'
Flake said he has not "soured on the Senate" and loves the institution, but that as a traditional, libertarian-leaning conservative Republican he is out of step with today's Trump-dominated GOP.

"This spell will pass, but not by next year," Flake said.

Among Republican primary voters, there's overwhelming support for Trump's positions and "behavior," Flake said, and one of their top concerns is whether a candidate is with the president or against him. While Flake said he is with Trump on some issues, on other issues he is not. And Trump definitely views him as a foe, having denounced Flake publicly and called him "toxic" on Twitter.

"Here's the bottom line: The path that I would have to travel to get the Republican nomination is a path I'm not willing to take, and that I can't in good conscience take," Flake told The Republic in a telephone interview. "It would require me to believe in positions I don't hold on such issues as trade and immigration and it would require me to condone behavior that I cannot condone."
so a senator who is struggling in the polls after taking on trump publically quite often is now doing it because he can't do it anymore.

and i'm pretty sure it's a party foul to have (2) "bottom lines"

One less flake in the swamp

I see what you did there....................funny..................

BTW, how do you feel about a Republican jumping ship and leaving because there is no leadership in Washington?

I hope he takes Corker, McCain and Graham with him

Wow...................during Obama's administration, those were three of the biggest heroes of the GOP and conservatives. You guys are turning on and eating your own.

Whoa where did you get that? Heck those three loved working with Obama. McCain/Graham in particular were huge movers and shakers in helping force out Mubarak, getting Ghadafi whacked and supported the terrorists errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rebels to take out Assad that has led to thousands upon thousands of deaths and refugees AND backed the coup in the Ukraine.

I swear WWIII is on McCain's bucket list.

Get in line with the program of MAGA or you're sent out of town on a rail

Sheriff Joe should run in his place

-Geaux

Really? You don't think that he's too old? And what exactly is it that makes you think Arpaio is qualified to run in his place?

He is much younger than Finestien and Stretch Pelosi

If Obama, and Mr Trump can run, why not Joe?

-Geaux

Are you sure that it's what Trump is doing to his foes, and not that people are starting to get disgusted with the lack of leadership that Trump has displayed Meathead?
Yup. He said he would drain the swamp. It's too bad the Dems aren't doing the same thing.

Really? Was it draining the swamp when he hired 6 Goldman Sachs CEO's to be in his cabinet, one of whom is running the Treasury and using government aircraft for his own personal use?
Don't the Democrats have enough problems of their own. Pelosi, Waters, Wasserman-Schultz, Frederica Wilson...and Keith Ellison (just to throw in a man).

Not to mention the Beast. They need to do some real swamp-draining.

Trump fired the SoT btw. That's called draining the swamp.

Right now, on all 3 cable news channels, Sen. Jeff Flake is announcing that he will not run again for office.

Apparently, he's not happy about serving in a screwed up Congress under a president with no leadership qualities. And, he's not just talking about Trump, he's talking about the whole government, from the backbiting and fighting in Congress between the members all the way up to Trump and the way he's doing things.

He really doesn't sound happy about the way Congress and the government has divided itself.

The bombshell, which Flake, R-Ariz., intended to detail Tuesday afternoon on the Senate floor, will further roil Republican hopes of keeping the party's 52-seat Senate majority in the midterm elections of Trump's first term, when the president's party historically loses seats in Congress.

Flake, one of the Senate's more prominent critics of President Donald Trump, has been struggling in the polls.

He told The Arizona Republic ahead of his announcement that he has become convinced "there may not be a place for a Republican like me in the current Republican climate or the current Republican Party."

Flake said he has not "soured on the Senate" and loves the institution, but that as a traditional, libertarian-leaning conservative Republican he is out of step with today's Trump-dominated GOP.

Among Republican primary voters, there's overwhelming support for Trump's positions and "behavior," Flake said, and one of their top concerns is whether a candidate is with the president or against him. While Flake said he is with Trump on some issues, on other issues he is not. And Trump definitely views him as a foe, having denounced Flake publicly and called him "toxic" on Twitter.

"Here's the bottom line: The path that I would have to travel to get the Republican nomination is a path I'm not willing to take, and that I can't in good conscience take," Flake told The Republic in a telephone interview. "It would require me to believe in positions I don't hold on such issues as trade and immigration and it would require me to condone behavior that I cannot condone."
so a senator who is struggling in the polls after taking on trump publically quite often is now doing it because he can't do it anymore.

I forgot about that. Last thing i saw, he was down by over 20%

McConnell was part of a group that gave Flake a standing ovation. Beautiful speech.

I agree. Quite a speech from someone with zero chance at re-election. Clinton could of used some of his defeatist skills

-Geaux

yep. but anti-trumpers will use anything they can to say BAD TRUMP.

so friggin annoying.

yep. but anti-trumpers will use anything they can to say BAD TRUMP.

so friggin annoying.
Whats sad is, there is SO MUCH legitimate shit to blast him about lol..

BTW, how do you feel about a Republican jumping ship and leaving because there is no leadership in Washington?

He's leaving because Team Bannon is head hunting. Make no mistake about it.
Liar. He’s leaving because of what the new guy is doing to the country.

“It is time for our complicity and our accommodation of the unacceptable to end,” he said.

In a stunning takedown of President Donald Trump, Flake pleaded with his colleagues to “respect each other again in an atmosphere of shared facts and shared values” and called the president’s behavior “outrageous” and “dangerous to democracy.”

Bush, Corker, McCain, Flake... these are republicans blasting a R prez.
Telling the truth about the orange anus is something DEPLORABLES hate.

-Geaux

Really? You don't think that he's too old? And what exactly is it that makes you think Arpaio is qualified to run in his place?

-Geaux

Arpaio is 85 years old. Feinstein is 84 and has been serving for several years already, and Pelosi is 77.

Arpaio is too old and has no experience. It would take him at least 2 years to get how Washington works.

Liar. He’s leaving because of what the new guy is doing to the country.

“It is time for our complicity and our accommodation of the unacceptable to end,” he said.

In a stunning takedown of President Donald Trump, Flake pleaded with his colleagues to “respect each other again in an atmosphere of shared facts and shared values” and called the president’s behavior “outrageous” and “dangerous to democracy.”

Bush, Corker, McCain, Flake... these are republicans blasting a R prez.
Telling the truth about the orange anus is something DEPLORABLES hate.

He's a never Trumper and a fucking RINO piece of shit. Good riddance.

The Dems need to remove Pelosi from the leadership in the House.

If they do that and run as hard against Orange Leader as they can, they can take the House back.

-Geaux

-Geaux

Arpaio is 85 years old. Feinstein is 84 and has been serving for several years already, and Pelosi is 77.

Arpaio is too old and has no experience. It would take him at least 2 years to get how Washington works.

We don't want him to learn how Washington works. That's why Flake and Corker are toast

-Geaux

GWB acknowledged that "our politics seems more vulnerable to conspiracy theories and outright fabrication."
TINY dick: we love his conspiracy theories and outright fabrications.

This is such a victory for Team Bannon. I thought taking out Strange felt good but this is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Liar. He’s leaving because of what the new guy is going to the country.

He acknowledged that "our politics seems more vulnerable to conspiracy theories and outright fabrication."

You know jack shit about the man. Bannon was coming for him full boar with the backing of Mercer. Flake's head was going to be on the wall baby. Just like old Luther's.

Flake and Corker and others are and will let the far right have the nominations, then sit back and watch the Alt Right GOP in the Senate crash and burn next year.

Bannon is a boozer and a loser, and his strategy next year will result in a Dem Senate.

Forum List

Back