"Breaking News"

usmbguest5318

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2017
D.C.
Okay, yes, this is probably just me griping, but I've had it with news stations/networks that overuse, IMO, the "breaking news" label.

I know, based on what I observe is the way they use the label, that to news networks, "breaking news" means "information they'd not previously shared." Okay, fine, I get that, and I see the validity of that construal of the phrase. All the same, I think "breaking news" should be reserved for information that is just slightly below or at the level of what the Emergency Broadcasting System would deem worthy of sharing with the public.

In my opinion, "breaking news" should be reserved for content that is (1) indeed new, thus news and (2) important enough that everyone needs to know and ponder, if not act upon, now, or at least sooner rather than later.

For example, CNN just interrupted its regular content with a "breaking news" announcement. What is the breaking news? VP Pence is landing "right now" in the Korean DMZ. Wonderful. We already knew he was in South Korea and that he intends to be there for a couple days into the week. We already know he's not having any official events with S. Korean officials.

I don't see what's so critical about his "landing right now by helicopter in the DMZ" that it warrants the "breaking news" label, other, of course, than the mere fact that event had not occurred, thus one could not have previously said it. My point, then, is that couldn't the fact of Pence's appearance in the DMZ been as sufficiently reported as part of a regularly scheduled program?

Too often I find news programs placing excess temporal importance on the events that occur during the day. That observation and judgment on my part is the point of my beef. Sadly, I don't know what course to purse or encourage to get news programs to make better judgment calls about using the "breaking news" label.

Okay, yes, this is probably just me griping, but I've had it with news stations/networks that overuse, IMO, the "breaking news" label.

I know, based on what I observe is the way they use the label, that to news networks, "breaking news" means "information they'd not previously shared." Okay, fine, I get that, and I see the validity of that construal of the phrase. All the same, I think "breaking news" should be reserved for information that is just slightly below or at the level of what the Emergency Broadcasting System would deem worthy of sharing with the public.

In my opinion, "breaking news" should be reserved for content that is (1) indeed new, thus news and (2) important enough that everyone needs to know and ponder, if not act upon, now, or at least sooner rather than later.

For example, CNN just interrupted its regular content with a "breaking news" announcement. What is the breaking news? VP Pence is landing "right now" in the Korean DMZ. Wonderful. We already knew he was in South Korea and that he intends to be there for a couple days into the week. We already know he's not having any official events with S. Korean officials.

I don't see what's so critical about his "landing right now by helicopter in the DMZ" that it warrants the "breaking news" label, other, of course, than the mere fact that event had not occurred, thus one could not have previously said it. My point, then, is that couldn't the fact of Pence's appearance in the DMZ been as sufficiently reported as part of a regularly scheduled program?

Too often I find news programs placing excess temporal importance on the events that occur during the day. That observation and judgment on my part is the point of my beef. Sadly, I don't know what course to purse or encourage to get news programs to make better judgment calls about using the "breaking news" label.
The only Breaking News here is when you see it posted by me, American Patriot Steve McGarrett!

I agree with most of that... I was just grip I g at hubby the other day about the 'alert' word FOX always has ripped across their screen.

Breaking news this morning was the Cleveland shooter who killed his father in law or grandfather -- something like that -- and recorded it and played it streaming live on Facebook.

This was Negro on Negro family crime.

'Easter day slaughter': Cleveland cops searching for alleged killer who broadcast murder on Facebook

Comma-kazi !!!

"Breaking News!" Spicer announced again that Trump is not going to release his tax returns because "No one is interested", and "The election is over".

I agree with the whole "breaking news" thing. Really? Is EVERYTHING "breaking news"?

While we're at it, a pet peeve of mine is when the talking head says "your Paul Ryans, your Chris Christies, your Mitch McConnels". Or, "your Joe Bidens, your Elizabeth Warrens, your .... "

I've heard right wingers say this and I've heard the left say it. There's really one each of whomever you're talking about and its dumb to say this.

Breaking%2BNews%2B-%2BElmo%2Bjust%2Bcomited%2Bsuiside.gif

Breaking news this morning was the Cleveland shooter who killed his father in law or grandfather -- something like that -- and recorded it and played it streaming live on Facebook.

This was Negro on Negro family crime.

'Easter day slaughter': Cleveland cops searching for alleged killer who broadcast murder on Facebook

yiostheoy

Wow. Yeah. Thanks for catching this cuz, as we all know, whites never kill whites and "christians" never kill "christians".

I swear to fucking god, I will never understand why you anti-christ types insist on lying that you're "christians" when you're actually the exact opposite.
:rolleyes:

Forum List

Back