Breaking: David Bowie Dead

Bowie had the ability to reinvent himself better than any other performer I have seen

He had the best onstage presence and style I have ever seen and his music.

This will be the worst tragedy this year.
Mick Jagger had him beat, but not by much.

:lol: Jagger with good onstage presence. I think Jagger's jumping disqualifies him here.
Jagger is famous for his concert performances. I've never seen Bowie in anything other than movies or videos.

Of course, but my comment dealt with "presence." Do you believe Jagger had the best presence, better than Bowie? :rolleyes:

I've seen them both. Bowie was a performer, Jagger a joke.

:lol: Jagger with good onstage presence. I think Jagger's jumping disqualifies him here.
Jagger is famous for his concert performances. I've never seen Bowie in anything other than movies or videos.

Of course, but my comment dealt with "presence." Do you believe Jagger had the best presence, better than Bowie? :rolleyes:

I wouldn't have used that strong of a word, but I see where you're coming from. Jagger relied a lot on laughs.

Bowie had the ability to reinvent himself better than any other performer I have seen

Tom Jones had the best presence I've ever seen. Better than Elvis. Mick Jagger has a style all his own. David Bowie was style. Class. He wasn't human. Cool as you can be.

I'm with you. Stones sucked live.

Tom Jones had the best presence I've ever seen. Better than Elvis. Mick Jagger has a style all his own. David Bowie was style. Class. He wasn't human. Cool as you can be.

My Mom and her Brit friends took me to see Englebert Humperdink sp?And I'd say he gives Jones a run for his money. True pros giving it all they got.

Yea, "class" would have been perfect.

I wouldn't have used that strong of a word, but I see where you're coming from. Jagger relied a lot on laughs.

It was alliteration too. :eusa_angel:

Jagger just looked ridiculous but I never got the impression he was aware that he looked ridiculous.

Bowie's Ziggy Stardust show in '72 was probably the most theatrically-intensive rock act I've ever seen.

Diane Reem just told Carly Simon live on her radio show on NPR that David Bowie has died.....and she didn't know.

Carly was talking about her stuttering and stage fright....and the subject came up.

Her reaction was interesting. Practically speechless for while.

My Mom and her Brit friends took me to see Englebert Humperdink sp?And I'd say he gives Jones a run for his money. True pros giving it all they got.
Saw a video of Tom Jones on youtube the other day during one of his concerts. Even now his performance grabs you.

Jagger just looked ridiculous but I never got the impression he was aware that he looked ridiculous.

Bowie's Ziggy Stardust show in '72 was probably the most theatrically-intensive rock act I've ever seen.

I couldn't find the video I was looking for of this particular act and performance from a different concert. Too bad because the picture quality is good too. In that one, Bowie comes on through a rear door. This was class alright.

Mic could get away with anything knowing he had contributed the world already to rock. That's why you got the impression he was never self-conscious at all. There are a lot of theories about this subject though.

Last edited:

I just got Highlander and I think the key line in the movie really applies to Bowie's artistry. sp? not feeling good.

"There can be only one". Oh my. For all my years in the business there have been few and far between but Bowie was in that class.

He could move from genre to genre without selling out. Cripes. Cringe worthy ZZ Top going techno. Well they paid for the grandkids university fees I guess.

But Bowie was never a sell out. Putting out fires with gasoline.

I couldn't find the video I was looking for of this particular act and performance from a different concert. Too bad because the picture quality is good too. This was class alright.

Mic could get away with anything knowing he had contributed the world already to rock. That's why you got the impression he was never self-conscious at all. There are a lot of theories about this subject though.

With Bing Cosby. I remember my dad tearing up and looking at me and saying "I take everything back. They can sing. Your rock stars can sing". It was a Christmas special. Little Drummer Boy.

I couldn't find the video I was looking for of this particular act and performance from a different concert. Too bad because the picture quality is good too. In that one, Bowie comes on through a rear door. This was class alright.

The point really wasn't about self-consciousness, that was ineptly expressed. It was just that Jagger's always been completely full of himself, and that sort of pretentiousness is offputting. That's why I think he regularly lapses into self-parody, without ever realizing it IS self-parody. He drowns in his own ego and that's not fun to watch.

Enough about that though, this is supposed to be a Bowie thread, just clarifying.

The point really wasn't about self-consciousness, that was ineptly expressed. It was just that Jagger's always been completely full of himself, and that sort of pretentiousness is offputting.

What I meant was what you have described COULD make someone self-conscious.

The point really wasn't about self-consciousness, that was ineptly expressed. It was just that Jagger's always been completely full of himself, and that sort of pretentiousness is offputting. That's why I think he regularly lapses into self-parody, without ever realizing it IS self-parody. He drowns in his own ego and that's not fun to watch.

Enough about that though, this is supposed to be a Bowie thread, just clarifying.

But you just nailed it spot on. Back to Bowie in a second here. You really did just nail Jagger. My husband is freaking out because I made him read your post and he's loving it. He wished he'd never seen the Stones. He's ten years younger than me so we have different experiences. But he said you just nailed Jagger.

NOW back to the Bowie. He approached the stage with a love of it. Oh my.

Happy to say I was able to see him live twice.

Anyone else see him as Tesla, in The Prestige ?
Yep....

Bowie originally turned down the part.....but Christopher Nolan flew to New York and asked him personally if he would take it. He said he couldn't imagine anyone else in the role. Bowie agreed after a few minutes of conversation. Casting The Prestige - IGN

Forum List

Back