Breaking: David Bowie Dead

Guys, no offense but why is Flock of Seagulls even being mentioned in the same thread with this legendary artist? I mean... it's almost insulting. They were basically a one-hit wonder.

It is in reference to when Bowie went pop in the 80's. It happened, unfortunate, but it happened.
Bowie is a legend. No one could possibly argue that. But he is a legend because of music he made 30-40 years ago. You can't celebrate the music of Bowie without regretting his "going pop" in the 80's-2000's. You have to feel a loss for what might have been if he stayed true to his art.

I think he DID stay true to his art. MOST of the "glam rock" you witnessed in the 80s were inspired by him. His greatest commercial success came in the 80s, it was his era and he fucking owned it. Flock of Seagulls couldn't have shined his shoes.

Of course (Seaguls couldn't shine Bowies shoes)...but, like you say. "commercial success". It was the decade in which a LOT of musical genius's went GLAM to make the cash. He sold out. It is just true.
Think of Journey (not to compare with Bowie)...few even know that Journey was a pretty serious hard rock band before going glib...same with Van Halen. Van Halen was heavy metal before the 80's. REO Speedwagon was even harder. their early pre 80's albums were very heavy. Too many bands in that decade sold out for the commercial success. It was a lost decade as far as music goes for sure.
He was glam prior to the eighties and is the reason glam existed. He didn't sell out, he crafted it.

Guys, no offense but why is Flock of Seagulls even being mentioned in the same thread with this legendary artist? I mean... it's almost insulting. They were basically a one-hit wonder.

It is in reference to when Bowie went pop in the 80's. It happened, unfortunate, but it happened.
Bowie is a legend. No one could possibly argue that. But he is a legend because of music he made 30-40 years ago. You can't celebrate the music of Bowie without regretting his "going pop" in the 80's-2000's. You have to feel a loss for what might have been if he stayed true to his art.

I think he DID stay true to his art. MOST of the "glam rock" you witnessed in the 80s were inspired by him. His greatest commercial success came in the 80s, it was his era and he fucking owned it. Flock of Seagulls couldn't have shined his shoes.

Of course (Seaguls couldn't shine Bowies shoes)...but, like you say. "commercial success". It was the decade in which a LOT of musical genius's went GLAM to make the cash. He sold out. It is just true.
Think of Journey (not to compare with Bowie)...few even know that Journey was a pretty serious hard rock band before going glib...same with Van Halen. Van Halen was heavy metal before the 80's. REO Speedwagon was even harder. their early pre 80's albums were very heavy. Too many bands in that decade sold out for the commercial success. It was a lost decade as far as music goes for sure.
He was glam prior to the eighties and is the reason glam existed. He didn't sell out, he crafted it.
I had to look up Glam.

Sorry, TD.

I havent done it in a long time. I'm going to dance. I loved him. Yes I admit it. I loved the 80s You guys can beat me up tomorrow.
I used to watch MTV and other video channels all night long on Friday night when I was in school. I mean all night long. 6 am I finally went to bed. David Bowie, Madonna, Huey Lewis And The News, The Stones. "I Want My MTV!!"
That was when music was king.

I hope you are joking.
The 80's was about glitz and plastic...all canned music designed for pre-teens...ugh I shudder even thinking about how MTV set music back for decades.
80s music puts most of the Katie Perry era to shame. Yes there was alot of garbage, but that’s always the case. Right now you can market albums and not even have a band. Everything is done in the studio with computers.

If you compare the creativity and crftsmanship of current pop music to that of the 80s, it becomes abundantly clear that 80s music is far more original and those who made are far more talented.

Much like David Bowie compared to almost any other artist of any success.

Bowie had the ability to reinvent himself better than any other performer I have seen

He had the best onstage presence and style I have ever seen and his music.

This will be the worst tragedy this year.
Mick Jagger had him beat, but not by much.

:lol: Jagger with good onstage presence. I think Jagger's jumping disqualifies him here.

The Rooster!

Bowie had the ability to reinvent himself better than any other performer I have seen

:lol: Jagger with good onstage presence. I think Jagger's jumping disqualifies him here.
Jagger is famous for his concert performances. I've never seen Bowie in anything other than movies or videos.

Jagger is famous for his concert performances. I've never seen Bowie in anything other than movies or videos.

I saw him on his Let's Dance tour way back when......This video was filmed in Philadelphia the day after we saw him.

This has to be devastating to Iggy Pop who collaborated with Bowie. Has he made a statement yet?

Of course, but my comment dealt with "presence." Do you believe Jagger had the best presence, better than Bowie? :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back