Bravo To The Supreme Court - Colleges Must Allow Military Recruiters

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court ruled unanimously Monday that colleges that accept federal money must allow military recruiters on campus, despite university objections to the Pentagon's "don't ask, don't tell" policy on gays.

Justices rejected a free-speech challenge from law school professors who claimed they should not be forced to associate with military recruiters or promote their campus appearances.

Chief Justice John Roberts wrote the decision, which was unanimous.

Law schools had become the latest battleground over the "don't ask, don't tell" policy allowing gay men and women to serve in the military only if they keep their sexual orientation to themselves.

Many universities forbid the participation of recruiters from public agencies and private companies that have discriminatory policies.

Roberts, writing his third decision since joining the court, said there are other less drastic options to protest the policy.

"A military recruiter's mere presence on campus does not violate a law school's right to associate, regardless of how repugnant the law school considers the recruiter's message," he wrote.

The federal law, known as the Solomon Amendment after its first congressional sponsor, mandates that universities give the military the same access as other recruiters or forfeit federal money.

College leaders have said they could not afford to lose federal help, some $35 billion a year.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/judicial/2006-03-06-military-recruiting_x.htm

GotZoom said:
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court ruled unanimously Monday that colleges that accept federal money must allow military recruiters on campus, despite university objections to the Pentagon's "don't ask, don't tell" policy on gays.

Justices rejected a free-speech challenge from law school professors who claimed they should not be forced to associate with military recruiters or promote their campus appearances.

Law schools had become the latest battleground over the "don't ask, don't tell" policy allowing gay men and women to serve in the military only if they keep their sexual orientation to themselves.

Many universities forbid the participation of recruiters from public agencies and private companies that have discriminatory policies.

Roberts, writing his third decision since joining the court, said there are other less drastic options to protest the policy.

"A military recruiter's mere presence on campus does not violate a law school's right to associate, regardless of how repugnant the law school considers the recruiter's message," he wrote.

The federal law, known as the Solomon Amendment after its first congressional sponsor, mandates that universities give the military the same access as other recruiters or forfeit federal money.

College leaders have said they could not afford to lose federal help, some $35 billion a year.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/judicial/2006-03-06-military-recruiting_x.htm

:salute:

Honestly, I don't know what the big deal was? If students don't want to join, tell them to fuck off or tell them you're gay. I personally have no problem telling a military recruiter in the bluntest terminology that I'm gay. That's my freedom as an American.

GotZoom said:

The new court is really doing some good things here, I wonder if liberals have contemplated putting a gun to their mouths?? And the ruling seems fair to me, if they want government funding they need to allow recruiters on campus..........Seems like a no brainer....

Kagom said:
Honestly, I don't know what the big deal was? If students don't want to join, tell them to fuck off or tell them you're gay. I personally have no problem telling a military recruiter in the bluntest terminology that I'm gay. That's my freedom as an American.

It's a BIG LOSS for the anti-war, anti-military, anti-American liberals. Liberals only give lip service to "supporting the military". However they will stab the military in the back any chance they get. They think gays should have the right of free speech to speak out on campus but they actively work to suppress free speech for pro-military people. And you thought liberals were fair and pro-free speech?

:banana2:

The fact is that the military recruiters are some of the slimiest people in the world. They prey on poor cities because they know those kids have no other choice but to go to the military to put themselves through college. If that's not unethical, then I don't know what is.

And why don't we put them outside of churches too? Churches get tax breaks from the government, so why not?

If there's a group that wants to support the military on a college campus, that's fine. But it should be run by students. Just like the gay groups are run by students on campus. This is called taking advantage of the situation.

liberalogic said:
The fact is that the military recruiters are some of the slimiest people in the world. They prey on poor cities because they know those kids have no other choice but to go to the military to put themselves through college. If that's not unethical, then I don't know what is.

And why don't we put them outside of churches too? Churches get tax breaks from the government, so why not?

If there's a group that wants to support the military on a college campus, that's fine. But it should be run by students. Just like the gay groups are run by students on campus. This is called taking advantage of the situation.

I'm sorry, but you are a piece of shit...I make that based on your words. Please...please look into sterilization.

:(

dmp said:
I'm sorry, but you are a piece of shit...I make that based on your words. Please...please look into sterilization.

:(

Thank you for those words.

Why don't you go stick a crucifix up your ass and imagine you are being penetrated by Christ? You represent all that is wrong with the right and for someone who devoutly preaches morality, I'm surprised at the harshness of your words...Would Jesus approve? I think not. Attack me with substance, not frivolous rhetoric.

liberalogic said:
Thank you for those words.

Why don't you go stick a crucifix up your ass and imagine you are being penetrated by Christ? You represent all that is wrong with the right and for someone who devoutly preaches morality, I'm surprised at the harshness of your words...Would Jesus approve? I think not. Attack me with substance, not frivolous rhetoric.

I'm quite sure Jesus approves of you being a piece of shit. See, whether we are pieces of shit in society is not up to God, but up to 'us'. You blast the very HAND which keeps you with the freedom to choose God or not. The Freedom to Join a Message board and spout all kinds of thoughts and opinions free of consequence. You attack and you flame the very group of people who keep you free. You want freedom, but you don't approve of how your freedom is given. You are unworthy of those freedoms, yet many men and women throught out nations history have given their lives - both in Death and in living - to make sure precious YOU would enjoy those freedoms.

Please, take this with the most respect possible. Please get off the computer, go outside and play a game of hide and go fuck yourself. You are a worthless american.

liberalogic said:

You obviously don't know any military recruiters. I have known several, and all of them have been outstanding soldiers. So your "fact" that military recruiters are slimy is at best a bad attempt at a metaphor, and at worst evidence of complete idiocy.

And what is unethical about asking young adults to serve their country? Would you rather those young adults become pimps, drug dealers, or homeless? Maybe - just maybe - the military offers something to people, like the chance to better themsleves while serving to defend your freedom to spout off about things which you know little about.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
liberalogic said:

So, military recruiters are slimy because they offer poor people and chance to go to college instead of spending the rest of their lives in a rat infested craphole dealing drugs and pimpin' hoes, or, at best, working some at McDonald's or a grocery store 40+ hours a week to pay the bills? Yes, go fight for your country, protect your freedoms, and serve the greatest nation to ever grace this planet, and you may die, but some people think this is a fair tradeoff, and not all of them are using the military to get an education.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
dmp said:
I'm quite sure Jesus approves of you being a piece of shit. See, whether we are pieces of shit in society is not up to God, but up to 'us'. You blast the very HAND which keeps you with the freedom to choose God or not. The Freedom to Join a Message board and spout all kinds of thoughts and opinions free of consequence. You attack and you flame the very group of people who keep you free. You want freedom, but you don't approve of how your freedom is given. You are unworthy of those freedoms, yet many men and women throught out nations history have given their lives - both in Death and in living - to make sure precious YOU would enjoy those freedoms.
Please, take this with the most respect possible. Please get off the computer, go outside and play a game of hide and go fuck yourself. You are a worthless american.

Now we can get somewhere. You see, starting to insult me at the beginning was completely uncalled for. You made a very valuable point that I can somewhat agree with (the part that I bolded). You're right that their job is to protect my freedom to write these very words right now; therefore I should be more appreciative. That's a very valid claim.

My point is that the way many of them recruit-- by going to poverty stricken areas-- is unethical because many of the kids don't have any alternative. Either that or live in the slums.

The difference of opinion regarding the military, though, will arise over how it's used and where. As I feel that my freedom is not being protected by those in Iraq right now, I'm sure you believe that yours is. That doesn't make me any less of an American: it makes me someone with a different point of view.

In all honesty, I will tell you that your comment last night really angered me because up until my response, I have not attacked anyone here personally. That's because I see that as immoral, immature, and lacking of substance in a response. I'm not here to fight with anyone personally and there is a difference between disagreeing and questioning the character of a person who you do not even know. So, while we may disagree and while you may hate me, think that I'm an idiot, unpatriotic, the devil, or any other characterisitc you'd like to associate with me, I'd appreciate it if you could stick to the subject and not make a point about who I am.

liberalogic said:
My point is that the way many of them recruit-- by going to poverty stricken areas-- is unethical because many of the kids don't have any alternative. Either that or live in the slums.

Unethical to offer people a way out of their poverty...wow. just...wow.

liberalogic said:
Is the price of death worth it?

I didn't die. gop_jeff didn't die. I'd bet...I'd just BET somebody has a GREATER chance of being murdered, or murdering another if they stay in the slums, rather than joining the Military. I bet I'm right.

You don't deserve what you have. Good thing we know words like Grace, because of Grace life is unfair. Justice would mean you were born into, or forcibly moved into a place like..hrm...Soviet Union, circa 1975.

liberalogic said:
Now we can get somewhere. You see, starting to insult me at the beginning was completely uncalled for. You made a very valuable point that I can somewhat agree with (the part that I bolded). You're right that their job is to protect my freedom to write these very words right now; therefore I should be more appreciative. That's a very valid claim.

The difference of opinion regarding the military, though, will arise over how it's used and where. As I feel that my freedom is not being protected by those in Iraq right now, I'm sure you believe that yours is. That doesn't make me any less of an American: it makes me someone with a different point of view.

In all honesty, I will tell you that your comment last night really angered me because up until my response, I have not attacked anyone here personally. That's because I see that as immoral, immature, and lacking of substance in a response. I'm not here to fight with anyone personally and there is a difference between disagreeing and questioning the character of a person who you do not even know. So, while we may disagree and while you may hate me, think that I'm an idiot, unpatriotic, the devil, or any other characterisitc you'd like to associate with me, I'd appreciate it if you could stick to the subject and not make a point about who I am.

liberalogic said:
The fact is that the military recruiters are some of the slimiest people in the world.
Uh yeah, whatever.

liberalogic said:

You don't know what you're talking about. Recruiters will take your silverspoon-fed ass just as quickly as they will a poor person.

Slimey would be some jackass spouting off at the mouth about something he doesn't know a damned thing about.

Most recruiters aren't asked to be a recruiter. They are told. They have a job to do just like your candy ass does. They recruit from an age group, not a social class.

All any of you special, panty-wearing liberal sleezeballs has to say is "no."

GunnyL said:
You don't know what you're talking about. Recruiters will take your silverspoon-fed ass just as quickly as they will a poor person.

Slimey would be some jackass spouting off at the mouth about something he doesn't know a damned thing about.

Most recruiters aren't asked to be a recruiter. They are told. They have a job to do just like your candy ass does. They recruit from an age group, not a social class.

All any of you special, panty-wearing liberal sleezeballs has to say is "no."

"silver-spoon fed ass?" That is far from the truth my friend. I've worked for every penny I have and I will continue to work my ass off to pay for a college education that will cost me my liver. That's called hard work and being humble. I didn't come from the projects, but you could say I barely made middle class. So please, spare me your arrogant assumptions.

And you can't tell me that they don't flock to poor neighborhoods. True, they'd take any rich kid if he entered, but they know that those in poverty stricken areas will be easier to convince. Going to the military and risking your life shouldn't be a decision that you have to make on making ends meet and getting an education-- it should be a decision based on if you believe it is just. And preying on those kids is quite unethical because they are using poverty to their advantage.

And Kathianne-- I didn't point out a specific military recruiter; it was a generalization. Therefore, I did not attack anybody personally in this forum.

liberalogic said:

How many recruiters are you personally acquainted with LL? I happen to be on a first name basis with over 300 and I have yet to be slimed.

I personally believe that anyone that makes a blanket statement about a group of people, especially if they don't have firsthand experience with the situation (i.e., perhaps basing their opinion on media coverage), is showing their lack of knowledge about the situation.

Recruiters have a job to do just like any other employee for any other industry. They are given a mission/goal and work hard at trying to meet that mission/goal.

As for "preying" on poor cities........what other industry do you see "preying" on poor cities that actually gives them an opportunity to go to college? That gives them something other than crime, drugs or welfare as a way to survive?

I think, LL, that you might want to rethink your opinion of recruiters.

liberalogic said:
And you can't tell me that they don't flock to poor neighborhoods. True, they'd take any rich kid if he entered, but they know that those in poverty stricken areas will be easier to convince. Going to the military and risking your life shouldn't be a decision that you have to make on making ends meet and getting an education-- it should be a decision based on if you believe it is just. And preying on those kids is quite unethical because they are using poverty to their advantage.

Recruiters go to all schools, not just those in poverty stricken areas.

Where do you suggest recruiters spend their time recruiting?

As for why they join..............where are you getting your information regarding why recruits join? What makes you think they aren't joining because they think it's just? Have you done a personal survey of new recruits? Perhaps you can stand outside a recruiting office and do a personal survey of every soldier that has just joined.

I have to tell you LL, that during a time of war........the majority of those joining are doing it precisely because they feel it is just. And not because they want a college education. Think about it.

Forum List

Back