Bravo To The Supreme Court - Colleges Must Allow Military Recruiters

Discussion in 'Education' started by GotZoom, Mar 6, 2006.

1. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court ruled unanimously Monday that colleges that accept federal money must allow military recruiters on campus, despite university objections to the Pentagon's "don't ask, don't tell" policy on gays.

Justices rejected a free-speech challenge from law school professors who claimed they should not be forced to associate with military recruiters or promote their campus appearances.

Chief Justice John Roberts wrote the decision, which was unanimous.

Law schools had become the latest battleground over the "don't ask, don't tell" policy allowing gay men and women to serve in the military only if they keep their sexual orientation to themselves.

Many universities forbid the participation of recruiters from public agencies and private companies that have discriminatory policies.

Roberts, writing his third decision since joining the court, said there are other less drastic options to protest the policy.

"A military recruiter's mere presence on campus does not violate a law school's right to associate, regardless of how repugnant the law school considers the recruiter's message," he wrote.

The federal law, known as the Solomon Amendment after its first congressional sponsor, mandates that universities give the military the same access as other recruiters or forfeit federal money.

College leaders have said they could not afford to lose federal help, some $35 billion a year.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/judicial/2006-03-06-military-recruiting_x.htm

2. Trigg

Trigg Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69

:salute:

3. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Honestly, I don't know what the big deal was? If students don't want to join, tell them to fuck off or tell them you're gay. I personally have no problem telling a military recruiter in the bluntest terminology that I'm gay. That's my freedom as an American.

4. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    The new court is really doing some good things here, I wonder if liberals have contemplated putting a gun to their mouths?? And the ruling seems fair to me, if they want government funding they need to allow recruiters on campus..........Seems like a no brainer....

5. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,159
    It's a BIG LOSS for the anti-war, anti-military, anti-American liberals. Liberals only give lip service to "supporting the military". However they will stab the military in the back any chance they get. They think gays should have the right of free speech to speak out on campus but they actively work to suppress free speech for pro-military people. And you thought liberals were fair and pro-free speech?

:banana2:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    The fact is that the military recruiters are some of the slimiest people in the world. They prey on poor cities because they know those kids have no other choice but to go to the military to put themselves through college. If that's not unethical, then I don't know what is.

And why don't we put them outside of churches too? Churches get tax breaks from the government, so why not?

If there's a group that wants to support the military on a college campus, that's fine. But it should be run by students. Just like the gay groups are run by students on campus. This is called taking advantage of the situation.

7. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

I'm sorry, but you are a piece of shit...I make that based on your words. Please...please look into sterilization.

:(

8. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Thank you for those words.

Why don't you go stick a crucifix up your ass and imagine you are being penetrated by Christ? You represent all that is wrong with the right and for someone who devoutly preaches morality, I'm surprised at the harshness of your words...Would Jesus approve? I think not. Attack me with substance, not frivolous rhetoric.

9. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

I'm quite sure Jesus approves of you being a piece of shit. See, whether we are pieces of shit in society is not up to God, but up to 'us'. You blast the very HAND which keeps you with the freedom to choose God or not. The Freedom to Join a Message board and spout all kinds of thoughts and opinions free of consequence. You attack and you flame the very group of people who keep you free. You want freedom, but you don't approve of how your freedom is given. You are unworthy of those freedoms, yet many men and women throught out nations history have given their lives - both in Death and in living - to make sure precious YOU would enjoy those freedoms.

Please, take this with the most respect possible. Please get off the computer, go outside and play a game of hide and go fuck yourself. You are a worthless american.

10. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    You obviously don't know any military recruiters. I have known several, and all of them have been outstanding soldiers. So your "fact" that military recruiters are slimy is at best a bad attempt at a metaphor, and at worst evidence of complete idiocy.

And what is unethical about asking young adults to serve their country? Would you rather those young adults become pimps, drug dealers, or homeless? Maybe - just maybe - the military offers something to people, like the chance to better themsleves while serving to defend your freedom to spout off about things which you know little about.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1