Bravo To The Supreme Court - Colleges Must Allow Military Recruiters

dmp said:
The whole "They will join the army and die' comment LL made is perhaps the stupidest comment of the year on this board. I can't believe that worthless american REALLY believes it.

So - out of...450K soldiers in the Army alone, 3,000? have died in the last, oh, 10 years? during a conflict.

How many have died in inner cities by how you described above, KP? In the last two years alone?

I think you and I, and probably most of the members of this board, are well aware of the enormity of the gang warfare..........but it's just too easy for most liberals to focus on Iraq and our troops, rather than put their energies behind something that is really killing our youth.

liberalogic said:
I'm saying people shouldn't have to go to the military just to afford a college education because they were born into poverty. If you are poor and you think the war's just, then go. But if you're going just to get by financially, that is not right.

LL....have you done anything to get by financially? Like taking a job?

Everybody does something to get by financially. In fact, I think a majority do things they really don't want to do to get by financially. A few might be doing something they really believe in.........without doing it for financial gain, but not many.

I guess what I would like to know is whether you believe those who are in poor cities, living in poverty, shouldn't take an opportunity to earn an honest living? Are you also saying that those same poor people should not become policemen, or firemen, or anything that might put their lives in jeopardy?

I truly don't understand your animosity for the military. It's a job that offers future opportunities to better one's life.

Or, are you advocating that we should not require people to work hard and make sacrifices to get ahead in life? Should we just offer them cushy jobs because they are poor?

Perhaps you can enlighten me as to what you would think "ethical" recruiting would look like, rather than making blanket statements about something you know absolutely nothing about.

I'm not speaking for anyone...I'm speaking from an objective moral standpoint. And they do flock to poor neigborhoods...I've seen it myself and I know others who have seen it as well. It's not my imagination.

You allude to the fact that you live in a poor neighborhood and have seen recruiters there. So what? It just means that you haven't seen them in the more affluent neighborhoods. You need to do more research.

But enough of this argument...I'm not going to fight you on this anymore.

Fair enough........this proves why you can't emphasize with a military mindset. You give up too easy.

liberalogic said:
I was WRONG to make a generalization about all military recruiters. I apologize for that. I still think that it is unethical to prey on poor cities. People should ONLY join the army if they believe in the cause, not because they have to choose between that and poverty.

And DMP, please cut this "worthless American" stuff out. I have a different vision of America than you do-- but I value my liberties just as much as you. Just make your point without having to degrade me with every sentence you write.

And you have those liberties because of the people who have served in the military.

You said don't degrade you? You started the whole thing with your slimy recruiter comments.

Military isn't for you? Yippee skippy..good for you.

But don't you dare degrade the people who are, or were, in the military to protect YOUR rights to say whatever the hell you want to.

I was in the service. I saw people die to protect your right to say whatever you want.

But based on what you said before and your feelings about the military, they apparently died in vain.

The Heritage Foundation just released, the typical recruit in the all-volunteer force is wealthier, more educated and more rural than the average 18- to 24-year-old citizen is. Indeed, for every two recruits coming from the poorest neighborhoods, there are three recruits coming from the richest neighborhoods.
Yes, rural areas and the South produced more soldiers than their percentage of the population would suggest in 2003. Indeed, four rural states — Montana, Alaska, Wyoming and Maine — rank 1-2-3-4 in proportion of their 18-24 populations enlisted in the military. But this isn't news.

Allegations that recruiters are disproportionately targeting blacks also don't hold water. First, whites make up 77.4% of the nation's population and 75.8% of its military volunteers, according to our analysis of Department of Defense data.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2005-11-27-soldier-edit_x.htm

Before you start making generalizations about the people who join the military maybe you should look at the facts. They're not targeting the poor. Being poor doesn't mean a person isn't intelligent, before signing on the doted line they know what they're getting into.

Trigg said:
before signing on the doted line they know what they're getting into.

I'd say it's more accurate they "are prepared to take responsibility for what they committ to". I had NO F'IN CLUE what I was getting myself into. I just knew the Army wouldn't kill me (on purpose), and I'd get to shoot missiles.

:D

dmp said:
I'd say it's more accurate they "are prepared to take responsibility for what they committ to". I had NO F'IN CLUE what I was getting myself into. I just knew the Army wouldn't kill me (on purpose), and I'd get to shoot missiles.

:D

Thanks for the rep point!!!!!

The Army isn't looking for poorly educated people they want people who are smart enough to handle the new technology.

Your so right, the Army doesn't want anyone killed, they've put to much time and money into training.

liberalogic said:
I'm saying people shouldn't have to go to the military just to afford a college education because they were born into poverty. If you are poor and you think the war's just, then go. But if you're going just to get by financially, that is not right.

People born into poverty have more opportunities to get financial help in the form of PELL grants and other government grants than ANYONE in the middle or upper classes so that arguement doesn't hold water.

People don't HAVE to go into the military it's a CHOICE they make. Why isn't it right to go into the military to get help financially??? It's a choice a person might make in order to come out of collage without student loans and with practical experience in the real world. There are many many jobs a person can have in the military that has nothing to do with fighting!!

Forum List

Back