Bravo, Ray Crist!

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
America's oldest worker retires at 104

A man believed to be the US' oldest worker has retired at the age of 104.

Science professor Ray Crist has stepped down from his teaching position at Messiah College in Grantham, Pennsylvania.

He began teaching there in 1970 after reaching Dickinson University's mandatory retirement age of 70.

In 1926 he received his doctorate in chemistry from Columbia University, and in the early 1940s worked on the project that separated isotopes of uranium for use in an atomic bomb.

He was a director of the project in 1945 and counted Albert Einstein among his personal friends, says the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Professor Crist took just a token salary of $1-a-year from Messiah College.

Two years ago, Professor Crist was named America's oldest worker by a nonprofit training group called Experience Works

The 104-year-old says although he's left his job he'll stay on with his scientific research. He's currently working on a paper that sets out to explain how plants absorb toxic metals, thereby cleaning the soil. It's called bioremediation, and Crist is considered to be one of the field's founding researchers.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_923171.html

Originally posted by NewGuy
Dang!

I thought working 20 years was too much.

I complain when I have to get out of bed in the morning! It appears this guy has been getting up for work for the past 78 years! He's done enough work for 2 people. The other person is me, my work is now done. :D

Originally posted by jimnyc
He's done enough work for 2 people. The other person is me, my work is now done. :D

:laugh:

Good for him, tho I have intentions of retiring much earlier if possible :)

Originally posted by Aquarian
:laugh:

Good for him, tho I have intentions of retiring much earlier if possible :)

I am 32.....I am aiming for 35.....

Good for Professor Crist! Imagine that, someone working just for the heck of it. I spoke to my great uncle the other day...he's 89 and still works full time. Who knows? Maybe he'll break the record.

acludem

Originally posted by acludem
Good for Professor Crist! Imagine that, someone working just for the heck of it. I spoke to my great uncle the other day...he's 89 and still works full time. Who knows? Maybe he'll break the record.

acludem

I wonder if he has a wife. Alot of old guys get really bored if they have no companion so they work. Better than just moping around, waiting to die.

i think im going to be much like him. I would get so bored without something to work on. dont know what ill do then but i dont think ill call it retirement. more like life is beginningment

Forum List

Back