Boycotting Hobby Lobby for anti-semitism? Yes and Amen!

Where did Steve Green say he refused to sell Hanukkah merchandise? Link please.

Steve Green's response to the controversy:

We sincerely apologize for any employee comments that may have offended anyone, especially our Jewish customers and friends. Comments like these do not reflect the feelings of our family or Hobby Lobby. Our family has a deep respect for the Jewish faith and those who hold its traditions dear. We're proud contributors to Yad Vashem, as well as to other museums and synagogues in Israel and the United States. We are investigating this matter and absolutely do not tolerate discrimination at our company or our stores. We do not have any policies that discriminate; in fact, we have policies that specifically prohibit discrimination. We have previously carried merchandise in our stores related to Jewish holidays. We select the items we sell in our stores based on customer demand. We are working with our buyers to re-evaluate our holiday items and what we will carry in the future.

That apology was almost 2 weeks ago and the official store policy is that they have no plans on ordering anything Jewish or anything for the Jewish holidays and this came directly from the store manager I spoke to TODAY. In other words, Mr. Green doesn't only have a problem with Jews he has a problem with speaking the "truth"...

The answer is in the OP, Amelia and here is one clip for you to read:

That story prompted Berwitz, who own a market research company and writes the “Hopelessly Partisan” blog, to call the Marlboro store and ask why it seemed to be ignoring Hanukkah, the eight-day Jewish festival of lights, which begins on Nov. 27 this year. He wrote that he received the following response:

“Because Mr. Green is the owner of the company, he’s a Christian, and those are his values.”

I am telling you as a Christian, Amelia, that Mr. Greens values do not reflect the values of a bible believing Christian. If he has a problem with Jews then please do not advertise to the world that you are a Christian. Anti semitism is not a Christian value and that is all I have to say about that. Thank you for asking.

I will wait until I hear that from Mr. Green. Making accusations based on what is read on blog sites is not a Christian value either.

We sincerely apologize for any employee comments that may have offended anyone, especially our Jewish customers and friends. Comments like these do not reflect the feelings of our family or Hobby Lobby. Our family has a deep respect for the Jewish faith and those who hold its traditions dear. We're proud contributors to Yad Vashem, as well as to other museums and synagogues in Israel and the United States. We are investigating this matter and absolutely do not tolerate discrimination at our company or our stores. We do not have any policies that discriminate; in fact, we have policies that specifically prohibit discrimination. We have previously carried merchandise in our stores related to Jewish holidays. We select the items we sell in our stores based on customer demand. We are working with our buyers to re-evaluate our holiday items and what we will carry in the future.

That apology was almost 2 weeks ago and the official store policy is that they have no plans on ordering anything Jewish or anything for the Jewish holidays and this came directly from the store manager I spoke to TODAY. In other words, Mr. Green doesn't only have a problem with Jews he has a problem with speaking the "truth"...

That story prompted Berwitz, who own a market research company and writes the “Hopelessly Partisan” blog, to call the Marlboro store and ask why it seemed to be ignoring Hanukkah, the eight-day Jewish festival of lights, which begins on Nov. 27 this year. He wrote that he received the following response:

“Because Mr. Green is the owner of the company, he’s a Christian, and those are his values.”

I am telling you as a Christian, Amelia, that Mr. Greens values do not reflect the values of a bible believing Christian. If he has a problem with Jews then please do not advertise to the world that you are a Christian.

Anti semitism is not a Christian value and neither is covering it up with a lie! He never has told his store managers to move forward with ordering anything Jewish. You are quoting his apology from almost 2 weeks ago. The man is a liar. The official answer for anyone wishing to buy anything Jewish from Hobby Lobby on 10/11/2013 is we don't sell anything Jewish / we do not sell Hannukah items at Hobby Lobby. We have not changed our policies. We are "discussing it"...that is what his store Manager told me today. Understand now? Listen, Amanda, they can discuss it until Jesus comes back... I won't buy from that store ever again. And I used to shop there. Not anymore! :eusa_angel:

I am telling you as a Christian, Amelia, that Mr. Greens values do not reflect the values of a bible believing Christian. If he has a problem with Jews then please do not advertise to the world that you are a Christian. Anti semitism is not a Christian value and that is all I have to say about that. Thank you for asking.
The modern evangelical/full gospel protestant Christian church traces it's beginning back to Martin Luther who was a rabid anti-semite.

True story.......... :cool:

I think this is a non-issue, as this is like 1 guy talking.

The owner of 500 Hobby Lobby stores in the United States that is willing to carry all kinds of Holiday decorations, celebration articles, etc including pagan - but refusing to carry anything Jewish in his store is a "non - issue" to you? Are you serious?

Halloween is not a pagan holiday, it is the eve before All Saints Day and it's original title was "Hallowed Eve".

Actually Alfie it is, it was Christianized to make pagans happy:

Halloween History & Origin

Halloween is the one of the oldest holidays still celebrated today. It's one of the most popular holidays, second only to Christmas. While millions of people celebrate Halloween without knowing its origins and myths, the history and facts of Halloween make the holiday more fascinating.

Some people view Halloween as a time for fun, putting on costumes, trick-or-treating, and having theme parties. Others view it as a time of superstitions, ghosts, goblins and evil spirits that should be avoided at all costs.

As the Christian debate goes on, celebrating Halloween is a preference that is not always viewed as participating in an evil holiday. Halloween is often celebrated with no reference to pagan rituals or the occult.

Halloween History

Halloween is on October 31st, the last day of the Celtic calendar. It was originally a pagan holiday, honoring the dead. Halloween was referred to as All Hallows Eve and dates back to over 2000 years ago.

All Hallows Eve is the evening before All Saints Day, which was created by Christians to convert pagans, and is celebrated on November 1st. The Catholic church honored saints on this designated day.

Origin of Halloween

While there are many versions of the origins and old customs of Halloween, some remain consistent by all accounts. Different cultures view Halloween somewhat differently but traditional Halloween practices remain the same.

Halloween culture can be traced back to the Druids, a Celtic culture in Ireland, Britain and Northern Europe. Roots lay in the feast of Samhain, which was annually on October 31st to honor the dead.

Samhain signifies "summers end" or November. Samhain was a harvest festival with huge sacred bonfires, marking the end of the Celtic year and beginning of a new one. Many of the practices involved in this celebration were fed on superstition.

The Celts believed the souls of the dead roamed the streets and villages at night. Since not all spirits were thought to be friendly, gifts and treats were left out to pacify the evil and ensure next years crops would be plentiful. This custom evolved into trick-or-treating.
http://www.halloween-website.com/history.htm

Last edited:
No one will pretty soon. I am praying God puts Mr. Green out of business permanently.
Do you know how much like some primitive savage this sounds? You are sending messages to your all-powerful deity to use some magic to put a hurtin' on your enemies.

The left will do or say ANYTHING to destroy one of their targets.
Yay! Thread made it three whole pages before narrow-minded partisan retard comment. You got it Katz, the entire world is all about left vs. right political leanings, thanks for bringing your perpspective.

Last edited:

A blog site? I think not... Better Look at this.. there are ten pages of news stories on Google right now and athough Mr. Green keeps claiming he apologised - that he is now carrying Jewish merchandise - the truth is he isn't and he has made no plans to do so. This is the official word from the Manager at Hobby Lobby today in my city.

I will wait until I hear that from Mr. Green. Making accusations based on what is read on blog sites is not a Christian value either.

A blog site? I think not.. Better have a look at this! There are ten pages of news stories on google and although Mr. Green has lied to news reporters stating he has ordered Jewish items now - it is quite obvious his "store managers" never received the "memo" on his change of heart. The official word from the store manager at Hobby Lobby Store I spoke to said they do not carry Jewish merchandise, do not carry Hannukah items and have no plans of it. They have nothing on order of any such item. He told me he was told they were "discussing it" nothing has been decided. So much for the integrity of Mr. Green.

there are 10 pages on googleAbout 104,000 results (0.23 seconds)

Search ResultsNews for Hobby Lobby is anti semitic

Hobby LobbyTablet Magazine *- 6 days ago
There's an old joke about a Hasidic merchant who ran a Manhattan store with a gentile partner. The shop specialized in providing trinkets for ...Hobby Lobby apologizes, Anti-Defamation League accepts

New York Daily News* - 6 days agoSeth Rogen: Hobby Lobby Attacked For Anti-Semitic Jewish Holiday Policy

The Inquisitr* - by Patrick Frye* - 6 days agoRealClearReligion - Hobby Lobby Isn't Anti-Semiticwww.realclearreligion.org/.../hobby_lobby_isn039t_anti-semitic_25674...*Cached6

days ago - There's an old joke about a Hasidic merchant who ran a Manhattan store with a gentile partner. The shop specialized in providing trinkets for ...Hobby Lobby Investigating Employee's Alleged Offensive Commentsmarlboro-

coltsneck.patch.com/.../hobby-lobby-investigating-em...*Cachedby Kaitlyn Anness - in 33 Google+ circles

Oct 4, 2013 - The entire reason this started was not because of Hobby Lobby's lack of carrying certain items, but rather the employees anti-Semitic remarks ...Hobby Lobby President Apologizes for Employee Comments ...www.christianpost.com/.../hobby-lobby-president-apologizes-for-emplo...

*Cached7 days ago - Steve Green, the evangelical president of craft retail giant Hobby Lobby, issued an apology Thursday after receiving media backlash due to an ...Seth Rogen: Hobby Lobby Attacked For Anti-Semitic Jewish

Holiday ...www.inquisitr.com/.../seth-rogen-hobby-lobby-attacked-for-anti...*Cachedby Patrick Frye

6 days ago - Seth Rogen's Hobby Lobby tweets have been attacking the popular store for allegedly being anti-Semitic in how it treats Jews and their ...Hobby Lobby Boycotts Jewish Hanukkah And Passover (UPDATE)www.huffingtonpost.com/.../hobby-lobby-jewish-boycott-steve-...*Cachedby Yasmine Hafiz - in 74 Google+ circles

Oct 2, 2013 - UPDATE: 10/4 6:20pm Hobby Lobby has promised to begin to sell ... artist named Abbey on a blog post entitled “Is Hobby Lobby Anti-Semitic?Hobby Lobby president apologizes for allegedly anti-semitic

incident ...www.nj.com/.../hobby_lobby_president_apologizes_for_allegedly_anti-s...*CachedOct 4, 2013 - Hobby Lobby President Steve Green apologized Thursday for allegedly anti- semitic comments made by an employee at the company's

...UPDATE: Hobby Lobby apologizes, agrees to carry Jewish holiday ...www.thestate.com/2013/10/07/.../is-christian-owned-hobby-lobby.html*Cached4 days ago - On Oct. 4, the Anti-Defamation League, a national group that counters anti- Semitism, accepted Hobby Lobby's apology, and strongly defended

...Christian-Owned Hobby Lobby Is Accused Of Anti-Semitismwww.buzzfeed.com/.../christian-owned-hobby-lobby-is-accused...*Cachedby Ellie Hall - in 119 Google+ circles

Oct 2, 2013 - Craft store Hobby Lobby is facing accusations of anti-Semitism over its refusal to stock Jewish items in its nationwide stores. Although the ...Hobby Lobby accused of anti-Semitism over lack of menorahs ...www.nydailynews.com/.../hobby-lobby-accused-anti-semitism-article-1.14...

Oct 1, 2013 - Hobby Lobby, the Oklahoma-based arts and crafts company founded by Christian evangelical David Green, stands accused of anti-Semitism ...

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

I am telling you as a Christian, Amelia, that Mr. Greens values do not reflect the values of a bible believing Christian. If he has a problem with Jews then please do not advertise to the world that you are a Christian.

Anti semitism is not a Christian value and neither is covering it up with a lie! He never has told his store managers to move forward with ordering anything Jewish. You are quoting his apology from almost 2 weeks ago. The man is a liar. The official answer for anyone wishing to buy anything Jewish from Hobby Lobby on 10/11/2013 is we don't sell anything Jewish / we do not sell Hannukah items at Hobby Lobby. We have not changed our policies. We are "discussing it"...that is what his store Manager told me today. Understand now? Listen, Amanda, they can discuss it until Jesus comes back... I won't buy from that store ever again. And I used to shop there. Not anymore! :eusa_angel:

Show me in writing the official position that they don't sell anything Hanukkah related. It would be unChristian for me to condemn Steve Green based on an unverified claim about this being the official position.

It would also be unChristian of me to call Steve Green unChristian for not selling Hanukkah craft items if indeed he has refused to do so.

However, first things first. I don't take what one person says one store manager said as Steve Green's official policy. It would be wrong for me to do that. I want verification from an appropriate source.

Last edited:
I'm sorry. I am upset. I cannot believe you people are not upset by this! The guy is acting like an anti semite while claiming to be a Christian! Christians and Jews are supposed to love each other. I would never have a problem with selling Menorahs, Star of David jewelry, decorations, anything Jewish in one of my stores! Something is not right about this man! He could not be a Christian and act like this!

Why can't people interpret the Bible as saying God the Father first saved the Jews and later sent His Son, Jesus, to save the Gentiles? After all, the Jews are the Chosen People and don't need to be chosen twice.

Perhaps I'll check in on the thread later to see if someone comes up with a current policy statement from Steve Green saying that he decided after all not to sell Hanukkah-related items.

Last edited:
Bottom line is not everyone who says Lord! Lord! .... is a Christian. Jesus said, Ye shall know them by their fruits.

Although Mr. Green appears to be full of apologies, he has yet to manage the simple art of picking up a phone and informing his Store Managers that Hannukah items are "on the way".... one would think that a man of his ability could manage such a simple task. Doesn't he have a telephone? How about email? How fast is that? Yet? Today 10/11/2013 the official response of Hobby Lobby Store Management is "We do not carry Jewish items or Hannukah Items at Hobby Lobby" ......"nor do we have any plans to make any such order."

And that's a wrap....... thanks for reading. - Jeri

Then again, one wouldn't expect to even have to go to such lengths to convince a "Christian Businessman" to be supportive of Israel and the Jewish people by including their holiday items on the shelves with the myriad of other holiday items including Pagan that Mr. Green already offers to his customers.

Maybe these guys should adopt Chick Fil A's business model.

Chick Fil A never discriminated against gays. He expressed a belief.

Regardless, the owner can do what he wants. Unless he starts preaching that Jews are the devil and the own the government and media then make a case. It could be a sound business decision. I mean how many Jews choose the Hobby Lobby to get their holidays good? I don't!

Why in the world would a great Christian company like this one be mislabeled as racist for not selling Jewish stuff? That's not racist.

I think when they started using the term Judeo-Christian people started to get a little confused.

This is the same company that will close it doors if it is forced to provide abortions under it's health care plan. The don't get any cleaner than that.

Time to get the Judeo out of Christian and just let the 2 stand alone. This constant pandering by Christians to Jews is annoying. It's almost as if some Christians would jump over a cliff for God if the Jews told them to.

And that's all I have to say about it.

I'm sorry. I am upset. I cannot believe you people are not upset by this! The guy is acting like an anti semite while claiming to be a Christian! Christians and Jews are supposed to love each other. I would never have a problem with selling Menorahs, Star of David jewelry, decorations, anything Jewish in one of my stores! Something is not right about this man! He could not be a Christian and act like this!

Why can't people interpret the Bible as saying God the Father first saved the Jews and later sent His Son, Jesus, to save the Gentiles? After all, the Jews are the Chosen People and don't need to be chosen twice.

See my Romans 1 thread called, The Wrath of God, Prome. That ought to cover it for you. You ask an excellent question though.. but I'd rather the Word of God answer it for you... that is all you need. :eusa_angel:

Bottom line is not everyone who says Lord! Lord! .... is a Christian. Jesus said, Ye shall know them by their fruits.

Although Mr. Green appears to be full of apologies, he has yet to manage the simple art of picking up a phone and informing his Store Managers that Hannukah items are "on the way".... one would think that a man of his ability could manage such a simple task. Doesn't he have a telephone? How about email? How fast is that? Yet? Today 10/11/2013 the official response of Hobby Lobby Store Management is "We do not carry Jewish items or Hannukah Items at Hobby Lobby" ......"nor do we have any plans to make any such order."

Then again, one wouldn't expect to even have to go to such lengths to convince a "Christian Businessman" to be supportive of Israel and the Jewish people by including their holiday items on the shelves with the myriad of other holiday items including Pagan that Mr. Green already offers to his customers.

"the official response of Hobby Lobby Store Management"

You keep saying "official". I suspect that word doesn't mean what you think it means. And who is "Hobby Lobby Store Management"?

I'll ask you one more time -- please provide documentation for this "official" position from "Hobby Lobby Store Management".

Without that it's moot to discuss whether or not this position is unChristian. You simply have not yet provided convincing evidence yet that this is Steve Green's position and it is unChristian to convict him when there is no proof of his so-called offenses.

Why in the world would a great Christian company like this one be mislabeled as racist for not selling Jewish stuff? That's not racist.

I think when they started using the term Judeo-Christian people started to get a little confused.

This is the same company that will close it doors if it is forced to provide abortions under it's health care plan. The don't get any cleaner than that.

Time to get the Judeo out of Christian and just let the 2 stand alone. This constant pandering by Christians to Jews is annoying. It's almost as if some Christians would jump over a cliff for God if the Jews told them to.

And that's all I have to say about it.

You know, R.C. I truly never saw your dislike for Israel and the Jews until one of my friends pointed it out to me one day and that is why I have to admit - I have misunderstood you on many levels. I will not stop praying for you, however and I do wish God's best for you always because apart from the grace of God there is no telling what I'd do either. - Jeri

The owner of 500 Hobby Lobby stores in the United States that is willing to carry all kinds of Holiday decorations, celebration articles, etc including pagan - but refusing to carry anything Jewish in his store is a "non - issue" to you? Are you serious?

Halloween is not a pagan holiday, it is the eve before All Saints Day and it's original title was "Hallowed Eve".

Actually Alfie it is, it was Christianized to make pagans happy:

Halloween History & Origin

Halloween is the one of the oldest holidays still celebrated today. It's one of the most popular holidays, second only to Christmas. While millions of people celebrate Halloween without knowing its origins and myths, the history and facts of Halloween make the holiday more fascinating.

Some people view Halloween as a time for fun, putting on costumes, trick-or-treating, and having theme parties. Others view it as a time of superstitions, ghosts, goblins and evil spirits that should be avoided at all costs.

As the Christian debate goes on, celebrating Halloween is a preference that is not always viewed as participating in an evil holiday. Halloween is often celebrated with no reference to pagan rituals or the occult.

Halloween History

Halloween is on October 31st, the last day of the Celtic calendar. It was originally a pagan holiday, honoring the dead. Halloween was referred to as All Hallows Eve and dates back to over 2000 years ago.

All Hallows Eve is the evening before All Saints Day, which was created by Christians to convert pagans, and is celebrated on November 1st. The Catholic church honored saints on this designated day.

Origin of Halloween

While there are many versions of the origins and old customs of Halloween, some remain consistent by all accounts. Different cultures view Halloween somewhat differently but traditional Halloween practices remain the same.

Halloween culture can be traced back to the Druids, a Celtic culture in Ireland, Britain and Northern Europe. Roots lay in the feast of Samhain, which was annually on October 31st to honor the dead.

Samhain signifies "summers end" or November. Samhain was a harvest festival with huge sacred bonfires, marking the end of the Celtic year and beginning of a new one. Many of the practices involved in this celebration were fed on superstition.

The Celts believed the souls of the dead roamed the streets and villages at night. Since not all spirits were thought to be friendly, gifts and treats were left out to pacify the evil and ensure next years crops would be plentiful. This custom evolved into trick-or-treating.
http://www.halloween-website.com/history.htm

That's much nicer than the pre-Christian Easter, which Igor Stravinsky orchestrated as The Rites of Spring. In order to get the gods to give fertility to the soil in the imminent planting season, the shamans required the tribe to sacrifice a virgin, who had to dance until she had a heart attack and died.

"the official response of Hobby Lobby Store Management"

You keep saying "official". I suspect that word doesn't mean what you think it means. And who is "Hobby Lobby Store Management"?

I'll ask you one more time -- please provide documentation for this "official" position from "Hobby Lobby Store Management".

Without that it's moot to discuss whether or not this position is unChristian. You simply have not yet provided convincing evidence yet that this is Steve Green's position and it is unChristian to convict him when there is no proof of his so-called offenses.

As you have made it clear how important it is to have the facts straight, Amanda, let me suggest to you that you do your own research rather than asking someone else to do it for you. You see that way you too will have first hand information.

Go to a Hobby Lobby store and do your own investigation. Your current MO - condemning the evidence while refusing to examine it is guaranteed to keep you in eternal ignorance on the matter. If you want the truth? Search it out. God will be faithful to help you arrive at it, I'm sure. Thank you for reading and I do wish you a very pleasant day.

Forum List

Back