Book Of Enoch

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
Ashamed to say I never heard of such a book. I recognize the name, but...he had a book too? Which brings me to the question: why was it not included in the bible? So many gospels and books tossed to the wayside and not in there. So..why not?

Anyway..I googled and found this. Interesting.

Book of Enoch - Wikipedia

Good question. I too am interested in these types of books but, in the end, I focus on following Jesus, doing unto others and loving my neighbor, which isn't always easy. :)

Edited to add that, I think that's all any of us really need to know and do.

That would be the Catholic church, correct? The ones that picked and chose which would be included, and which would be ignored?

Book of Jasher is mentioned as well but not included, I think I know why:

21 And Jacob sent to Aram, the son of Zoba, the son of Terah, and he took for his son Benjamin Mechalia the daughter of Aram, and she came to the land of Canaan to the house of Jacob; and Benjamin was ten years old when he took Mechalia the daughter of Aram for a wife.

22 And Mechalia conceived and bare unto Benjamin Bela, Becher, Ashbel, Gera and Naaman, five sons; and Benjamin went afterward and took for a wife Aribath, the daughter of Shomron, the son of Abraham, in addition to his first wife, and he was eighteen years old; and Aribath bare unto Benjamin Achi, Vosh, Mupim, Chupim, and Ord; five sons.

Book of Jasher, Chapter 45

He was not the young child when he went to Egypt. Married at age 10, and we talk about Mohammed.

That would be the Catholic church, correct? The ones that picked and chose which would be included, and which would be ignored?

Yes that would be the RCC who put together the bible, without them we would not have it.

why was it not included in the bible?

Because the text is considered pseudepigraphal.

Pseudepigrapha (also anglicized as "pseudepigraph" or "pseudepigraphs") are falsely-attributed works, texts whose claimed author is not the true author, or a work whose real author attributed it to a figure of the past.
How would anyone really know if it had a true author or not since nobody is alive NOW that would know for a fact?

Pseudepigrapha (also anglicized as "pseudepigraph" or "pseudepigraphs") are falsely-attributed works, texts whose claimed author is not the true author, or a work whose real author attributed it to a figure of the past.
How would anyone really know if it had a true author or not since nobody is alive NOW that would know for a fact?

They wouldn't, even the books in the bible we do not know the authors and some were wrote by many.

Really?
"Anyone" probably won't have any idea of who truly authored any ancient texts. Discerning that sort of thing is the work of anthropologists and historians. The rest of us, "anyone," must read their research on the matter, or being unwilling/unable to do so, take their word for it.

Theologians will surely have something to say about it, but their interests have to do with dogma and canonical aspects of what was written, and not so much who wrote it.

Regarding the verse in Jude and Enoch that appears similar, I doubt Jude quoted from the book of Enoch. It's possible that the verse in Enoch was taken from Jude, rather than the other way around. Just because it seems likely that part of Enoch was written before Jude doesn't mean the whole thing was. Another possibility is that Jude and the author of Enoch took that information from a third source.

The book of enoch talks about how some guy rode away in the sky in a chariot. Makes me think god is a little green man.

The book of enoch also talks about angels coming from heaven and mating with humans and teaching us skills that advanced society.
More aliens.

We will never know the whole truth about the Bible, Christ, and Christianity because in those days there were so many different religious sects with different opinions about the divinity of Christ and just about everything else having to do with religious matters. Various stories and accounts were written down at a later date, possibly many years after the event occurred and maybe not first hand accounts either. Somebody told somebody who told somebody who wrote it down. Such writings were copied and translated from one language to another and copied again, so who is to say what the original truth was? Who knows what even a single word that meant 'X" was changed to 'Y' at some point which changed the meaning even a little bit. Which doesn't mean none of it is true or false, are the writings in today's Bible divinely inspired? It's up to the individual to decide for themselves what to believe.

It is believed that in 325 AD the Roman Emperor Constantine convened what came to be known as the Council of Nicea, wherein decisions were made just about everything having to do with Christian dogma at least as far as the Catholic Church was concerned. And a part of that was the determination of which writings (books) would be included in the Bible and which wouldn't. Many of the discards were burned, which was a real shame cuz we can never know what the alternatives were to today's versions of Christianity. Some however, survived and were hidden away and were found later and no doubt some still remain undiscovered. The opinion of many is that the council debated the issue of Christ's divinity and the concept of the Trinity (God, JC, and the Holy Ghost), and basically if a book didn't go along with the accepted dogma then it wasn't included. They wanted uniformity, a united church of Christianity, and for a long time they achieved it for the most part until Martin Luther came along.

They were affraid it would bring devotion to the messengers liken to the forbidden portayals of pagan society. And they were right because it occured anyway.
You see Enoch and Michael are the only 2 called mediators (metatron) and mistaken channelers created a seperate persona out of the shared mere term for mediator and thus they now claim they channel Metatron, thus inventing a new being and devotion from a word not to be seen as a name.

examples:
1 Enoch 20:5
Michael, one of the holy angels, who, presiding over human virtue, commands the nations. (Mediator/Judge-refiners fire)

1 Enoch 53:6
Michael and Gabriel, Raphael and Phanuel (Jeremiel)(14) shall be strengthened in that day, and shall then cast them into a furnace of blazing fire, that the Lord of spirits may be avenged of them for their crimes; because they became ministers of Satan, and seduced those who dwell upon earth.

Ashamed to say I never heard of such a book. I recognize the name, but...he had a book too? Which brings me to the question: why was it not included in the bible? So many gospels and books tossed to the wayside and not in there. So..why not?

There were various reasons it was not included. The Ethiopian Bible included much of it. Keeping in mind the standard KJV was written over a period of time in centuries by various scribes and how big of a Book would be handy for everyone to have. Paper and the printing press didn't come along until around 1440. The writers/scribes also had to be careful about how and what they included too. How many scribes of ancient languages were available when the translation took place? Even for the one's that were available did the writers fully understand when given the words? If I told you yoo but could not fully explain it to you in a manner that you could perceive it how would you write that down? If written in a manner that dist the king their heads were also at risk. Heretics were definitely burned at the stake in those days if a church or any other official had that inclination to label a person. The other Books are becoming more readily available for those who have an inclination to read them. Parts and pieces have also been located that were not available to the writers back then. Libraries of old writings throughout in other countries were also destroyed if the crusaders viewed them as a threat (book burning is nothing new). scrolls for the book of enoch - Google Search

I have long been fascinated with the book of Enoch. To be clear, there is more than one book. All together there are 3, although, I think it evident that the first one is much, much older than the other 2 and written by a different author. The oldest transcripts date of Enoch 1 date back to the 15th century. However, Jude references Enoch in verse 14 and Jude was written between 70 to 90 AD.

Enoch 1 heavily influenced the early Christian culture and was used a great deal in their studies. Enoch is different than other pseudepigraphic writings because the Canonized Bible references it, which gives it credibility, and the fact it is so darn old. Enoch 1 was even found amongst the Dead Sea scrolls.

It is interesting that Jesus is obviously referenced in Enoch by the verses below even though he is not mentioned by name. It's almost as if written before Jesus walked the earth.

46 At that place, I saw the One in whom belongs the time before time. And his head was white like wool, and there was with him another individual, whose face was like that of a human being. His countenance was foll of grace like that of one among the holy angels. And I asked the one from among the angels who was going with me, and who had revealed to me all the secrets regarding the One who was born of human beings, “Who is this, and from whence is he who is going as the prototype of the Before Time?” And he answered me and said to me, “This is the Son of Man, to whom belongs righteousness and with whom righteousness dwells. And he will open all the hidden storerooms; for the Lord of the Spirits in eternal uprightness. This Son of Man whom you have seen is the One who would remove kings from their thrones. He shall loosen the reins of the strong and crush the teeth of the sinners. He will depose the kings from their thrones and kingdoms. For they do not extol and glorify him, and neither do they obey him, the source of their kingship. The faces of the strong will be slapped and be filled with shame and gloom. Their dwelling places and their beds will be worms. They will have no hope to rise from their beds, for they do not extol the name of the Lord of Spirits. And they have become the judges of the stars of heaven; they raise their hands to reach the Most High while walking upon the earth and dwelling in her. They manifest all their deeds in oppression; all their deeds are oppression. Their power depends upon their wealth. And their devotion is to the gods which they have fashioned with their own hands. But they deny the name of the Lord of Spirits. Ye they like to congregate in his houses and with the faithful ones who cling to the Lord of the Spirits.

48 Furthermore, in that place I saw the fountain of righteousness, which does not become depleted and is surrounded completely by numerous fountains of wisdom. All the thirsty ones drink and become filled with wisdom. Their dwelling places become with the holy, righteous, and elect ones. At that hour, that Son of Man was given a name, in the presence of the Lord of Spirits, the Before-Time, even before the creation of the sun and moon, before the creation of the stars, he was given a name in the presence of the Lord of the Spirits. He will become a staff for the righteous ones in order that they may lean on him and not fall. He is the light of the gentiles and he will become the hope of those who are sick in their hearts. All those who dwell upon the earth shall fall and worship before him, they will glorify, bless, and sing the name of the Lord of the Spirits. For this purpose he became the Chosen One; he was concealed in the presence of the Lord of the Spirits prior to the creation of the world, and for eternity. And he has revealed the wisdom of the Lord of the Spirits to the righteous and the holy ones, for he has preserved the portion of the righteous because they have hated and despised this world of oppression together with all its ways of life and its habits in his name and it is his good pleasure that they have life. In those days, the kings of the earth and the mighty landowners will be humiliated on account of the deeds of their hands. Therefore, on the day of their misery and weariness, they will not be able to save themselves. I shall deliver them into the hands of my elect ones like grass in the fire and like lead in the water, so shall they burn before the face of the holy ones and sink before their sight, an no place will be found for them. On the day of their weariness, there shall be an obstacle on the earth and they will fall on their faces; and they will not rise up again, nor anyone be found who will take them with his hands and raise them up. For they have denied the Lord of the Spirits and his Messiah. Blessed by the name of the Lord of the Spirits!

Notice how scornful Enoch is of the world governments. This is probably why it was left out of the Canonized Bible. After all, I'm sure Constantine did not appreciate being a world leader himself and faced with the prospect of being on the hit list in Enoch. Most people don't realize this but although Constantine embraced Christianity in making it the official religion of his kingdom, Constantine was not a Christian and continued to worship pagan gods. He even murdered members of his own family. It is rumored, though, that Constantine tried to convert on his death bed. So why did Constantine officially embrace the Christian faith even though he did not personally convert? He probably admired how the Christian faith spread despite being severely persecuted. It was almost as if the more Christians were persecuted the more the faith spread, so he adopted it as a tool of conquest.

Forum List

Back