Boehner walks away from debt talks

President Obama says House Speaker John Boehner "walked away" from debt talks over "an extraordinarily fair" deal.

No details yet. Get ready for double digit interest rates. It should make Bachmann happy!

Why dont you support spending cuts? Do you really like burdening your fellow Americans by taxing their labor why politicians glut themselves?

Of course he does, he's a liberal.

Very young? I'm 57.

Reagan and the two Bushes created 93% of the National Debt by lowering taxes for the rich.

Here are the links to the Treasury website...

ReaganBushDebt.org Calculation Details

Obama has added 4 trillion just in the last 2 and a half years. Throw in Clinton and you ain't that far from half of the debt. You might need some help with your math. And if you think it was all from lowering taxes on the rich then you really are misinformed.

Sorry buckaroo, but the 2009 budget was Bush's.

And when you are in an deflationary spiral the government HAS to be the demand of last resort. The stimulus saved us from another Great Depression. And who caused this economic collapse? The Bush administration.

And the rich have had their average tax rate lowered from 26% to 17% just in the last 20 years.

The Obama Stimulus bill that cost nearly a trillion bucks wasn't in Bush's budget, and neither wa that ridiculous Omnibus spending bill that had nealry 10,000 earmarks for the Dems to payback their supporters at a cost of over 400 billion wasn't in Bush's budget either. Don't be weaseling out of it, Obama has been the biggest spendthrift in history, by the time his 4 years are up he will have eclipsed Bush43's 8 years of spending by quite a bit.

And BTW, Better than 2/3 of the Bush tax cuts went to the unrich, so your claim that the tax cuts to the rich are responsible for the debt is nonsense. It was the irresponsible spending, which I would agree Bush43 was as guilty as anybody else. But cut the crap, trying to blame it all on the GOP is BS.

Why should democrats even have a say in this? They have not put anything on paper regarding a budget in over 800 days......

The senate and the president will have a say in this. The House will do what the teaparty wants them to do and America will object and say so at the voting booth.

I agree 100%, I expect full control of the house and senate and the white house in 2012. :eusa_whistle:

Compromise is not in the vocabulary of the Tea Party. The country is being run by a man that holds no office. Grover Norquist is probably telling Boehner what his next move is right now. Enjoy the view of being a 3rd world country.

Compromising away from the founding intentions of this country and our liberties is not in the Tea Part vocabulary. There will be no compromise when it comes to taxing away the prosperity of those who choose to work for it to take care of those who choose not to.

Compromise is not in the vocabulary of the Tea Party. The country is being run b a man that holds no office. Grover Norquist is probably telling Boehner what his next move is right now. Enjoy the view of being a 3rd world country.

What are you talking about? Republicans are the ones offering the Compromise. The Democrats want to raise the debt ceiling. We will do that if you do immediate spending cuts and put a balance budget amendment up for a vote.

You are just upset that Republicans are actually trying to get something out of this deal. How dare they make the President compromise for something he wants.

I think there's some frustration over the Republicans using lame American-specific procedural tactics to achieve their ends. No other country votes on a budget . . . and then has a separate vote on whether to raise funds for it. Likewise, I know of no other foreign counterpart to the filibuster.

And let me preempt you: the Democrats are no better as they've abused the same tools when they could.

I could care less about what other countries do, this is America and this is how it is done here. Th reason other countries are collapsing right now is because of like you said "They are not America" and do not have the framework set up to prevent a collapse, we do, but the retards in charge are making it more difficult to sustain this Republic.

When adults act like children, I just can't help but shake my head.

Ironically (or maybe not), conservatives seem to enjoy childish behavior in their reps and their favorite AM talk radio hosts since so many conservatives always seem to cheer when one of them has a public tantrum.

If these guys were kids (in terms of age and not just behavior) an adult would have no other choice than to give them a time out (or a spanking).

Is it not true if you compare children to adults a child would spend money that he/she doesn't have to get what they want while an adult would spend within their means? Assuming we are talking about responsible adults that is. I'd say the children in the room are the ones with the (D) beside their name.

Why should democrats even have a say in this? They have not put anything on paper regarding a budget in over 800 days......

The senate and the president will have a say in this. The House will do what the teaparty wants them to do and America will object and say so at the voting booth.

Do you believe that the Republicans' corporate masters are just going to let the tea party poopers screw up the economy?

This may just be kabuki theater performance which is meant to create the a show that Boehner is hanging tough and holding out for the best deal possible

Corporations don't matter at this point, once the tea party takes hold it's game over. There wont be anymore corporate fascism for chums like Obama and Bush. Game over.

Obama has added 4 trillion just in the last 2 and a half years. Throw in Clinton and you ain't that far from half of the debt. You might need some help with your math. And if you think it was all from lowering taxes on the rich then you really are misinformed.

Sorry buckaroo, but the 2009 budget was Bush's.

And when you are in an deflationary spiral the government HAS to be the demand of last resort. The stimulus saved us from another Great Depression. And who caused this economic collapse? The Bush administration.

And the rich have had their average tax rate lowered from 26% to 17% just in the last 20 years.

The Obama Stimulus bill that cost nearly a trillion bucks wasn't in Bush's budget, and neither wa that ridiculous Omnibus spending bill that had nealry 10,000 earmarks for the Dems to payback their supporters at a cost of over 400 billion wasn't in Bush's budget either. Don't be weaseling out of it, Obama has been the biggest spendthrift in history, by the time his 4 years are up he will have eclipsed Bush43's 8 years of spending by quite a bit.

And BTW, Better than 2/3 of the Bush tax cuts went to the unrich, so your claim that the tax cuts to the rich are responsible for the debt is nonsense. It was the irresponsible spending, which I would agree Bush43 was as guilty as anybody else. But cut the crap, trying to blame it all on the GOP is BS.

Actually it is all the GOP.

Bush inherited a budget surplus, a stong economy, and a nation at peace.

He then cut taxes, his SEC allowed Wall Street to run a $516 TRILLION DOLLAR derivative Ponze scheme, and he started TWO useless wars.

He left us with a trillion dollar deficit, a shattered economy, and trillions of dollar wasted in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Do you believe that the Republicans' corporate masters are just going to let the tea party poopers screw up the economy?

This may just be kabuki theater performance which is meant to create the a show that Boehner is hanging tough and holding out for the best deal possible

Corporations don't matter at this point, once the tea party takes hold it's game over. There wont be anymore corporate fascism for chums like Obama and Bush. Game over.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

The Weak Tea Party is in the process of ruining our fragile recovery.

They and their Republican buddies are going to destroy America.

Compromise is not in the vocabulary of the Tea Party. The country is being run b a man that holds no office. Grover Norquist is probably telling Boehner what his next move is right now. Enjoy the view of being a 3rd world country.

What are you talking about? Republicans are the ones offering the Compromise. The Democrats want to raise the debt ceiling. We will do that if you do immediate spending cuts and put a balance budget amendment up for a vote.

You are just upset that Republicans are actually trying to get something out of this deal. How dare they make the President compromise for something he wants.
Unfortunately, the Senate Democrats don't have to do anything. This is a House Republican initiative to reduce spending by threatening the nation with default. If it blows up in their face, it is they who will face the consequences at the polls. However all Americans will face the consequences long before the next election.

They put forth a bill that would have gotten the job done, the Democrat senate voted it down, it now falls on the Dems. They have offered no bill of their own in over 800 days, the American people know it, and this attempt by Obama and the leftwing media to spin it won't work.

Unfortunately, the Senate Democrats don't have to do anything. This is a House Republican initiative to reduce spending by threatening the nation with default. If it blows up in their face, it is they who will face the consequences at the polls. However all Americans will face the consequences long before the next election.

The House gave them a bill and Harry Reid shot it down.

Nether Obama nor the Dems in the Senate are doing a darned thing.

They wanted a tax increase so they could brag about it. The Repugs didn't fall for their tricks, so now they're down to crying about how the GOP is the one not doing anything.

The republicans bill was a piece of crap, just like the Ryan budget. it was only passed in the House to make suckers like you think they were doing something. Where was Cut, Cap and Balance from 2000-2006 when they had the votes to pass it and make it law?

Bush did not spend 2.5 trillion in 2 years on a bunch of bullshit like Obama did, we where not redlined from 2000-2006 in debt either, like we are now under Obama.

Here is the legacy of George W Bush...

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2011/06/pdf/low_tax_graphs.pdf

The lowest federal revenues in 60 years. The Bush tax cuts, along with the wars he began nowhave us on the brink of default....:clap2:

Wars he began? I thought the terrorists flew those planes into the twin towers.
Obamas legacy will be record numbers of job loss in the first two years of a presidency and the most unemployment since the great depression. And let's get one thing clear, the democrats failing to pass a budget for more then two years when they had fillibuster proof houses and the president spending 2.5 trillion in two years are why we are on the brink of default, nothing less then the truth right there.

Over at the new republic Chait has a an interesting view, and I don't thinks hes wrong either in his summation as to Obamas choices;

Obama Should Give Up On Revenue And Sign An All-Cuts Deal
July 22, 2011
Jonathan Chait

The news that Republicans are demanding that the expiration of the individual mandate be used as a trigger to require tax reform does not necessarily tell us what will be in the final agreement. But it does convey one vital piece of information -- namely, the negotiating price of getting Republicans to accept tax hikes is simply too high.

Anti-tax theology is the core of the modern Republican Party. If the GOP leadership cuts a deal that includes higher taxes, that deal will either exert an unbearable price in return or provoke a conservative revolt that kills it, or possibly both. Meanwhile, the Bush tax cuts expire at the end of 2012, and Obama has no need to raise revenue before then. (Indeed, he'd rather postpone any revenue increases until the economy has recovered.) What's more, as Paul Krugman notes, it's a fantasy to assume that any Grand Bargain would bind Republicans should they regain a working majority. If Obama wins the election, the Bush tax cuts on the rich will expire (and then he can negotiate a tax reform from a position of strength.) If Republicans win, they'll pass a big tax cut for the rich, because that's what Republicans do. Either way, getting agreement on a tax hike on the rich right now won't matter.

more at-

Obama Should Give Up On Revenue And Sign An All-Cuts Deal | The New Republic

Promising future cuts is giving nothing since no future Congress, and not even this congress, is bound to the current deal. Let's see some real immediate cuts right now. He wants the debt ceiling raised, he needs to compromise if he is going to get it.

My point exactly. Any deal that claims trillions DOWN the road is no deal at all. The Budget is a yearly process. There is no promise that can be enforced to make future Congresses and Future Presidents live up to any Future cut.

CUTS NOW are what is needed.

How much should be "cut now" and from where?

I'd start with foreign aid to countries who are against American interests, then I would finish it up with Not allowing illegals access to any entitlements, then work my way down to a time limit that someone can collect welfare if they are able bodied to work for themselves.

well the gauntlet has been thrown, boehner said they had a deal at 800 Billion in increased revenues that he boehner agreed to along with cuts, then Obama at the last minute changed his mind and stepped away asking for more money ( 400 billion more)....*shrugs*

obama said earlier that he would provide notes to the meeting, cannot wait, someone is fibbing...

so to be clear it appears, that is appears that Obama wants 1.2 trillion of new revenue...?what was the deal on cuts, exactly? we'll have to wait and see.

$1.2 trillion in new revenue with a $14 trillion debt. Wasn't Obama's earlier plan $3 trillion in cuts and $1 trillion in new revenue?

3 Trillion in cuts over ten years isn't shit if you spend 6 trillion more within the same ten years. Obama is playing numbers games, and he is losing and hates it.

President Obama says House Speaker John Boehner "walked away" from debt talks over "an extraordinarily fair" deal.

No details yet. Get ready for double digit interest rates. It should make Bachmann happy!

There is no doubt that the Republican leadership hopes to create a crisis for political purposes. Boehner and Cantor and the rest can point fingers at the Democrats and Obama but only the most partisan will be convinced.

I suspect there is a good deal of voter regret across America tonight and that regret will turn to anger if the limit is not raised and the even a modicum of the worst happens. First Cantor and then Boehner - the supposed Speaker of the House - simply walk away. How long would you keep your job if you did the same?

The crisis was created well before the 2011 Congress changed over, the 2011 congress are trying to reign it in and nobody likes it. Matter of fact, most of America recognized said crisis from 2008-2010 which is what led to the historical midterms in 2010.

It's hard for me to believe that you would walk away from the negotiations at this point in time. Is it really that fucking difficult to sit down and work it out? If you don't like the idea being brought to the table by the other guy then fight against it. Don't just walk away from the negotiations entirely. That's about as childish as it gets.

I know, Obama did it last week.

no but I'll take the word of man who has passed 2 bills out of his house on to the senate.

Obama has done ZIP.

cbo director elmendorf- " we don't analyze speeches"....

and obama says hes been left at the altar? :lol:

still waiting for those plans btw....

Obama was in the middle of negotiating a plan and Boehner decided to call off the negotiations. That's what fucking happened.

Obama did the same thing last week, get the fuck over it already. 2 bills where presented by the GOP, they both got shot down, 0 bills where presented by the Dems and Obama. America is watching, and we know who is to blame. game over.

Forum List

Back