Boehner walks away from debt talks

President Clinton announced Wednesday that the federal budget surplus for fiscal year 2000 amounted to at least $230 billion, making it the largest in U.S. history and topping last year's record surplus of $122.7 billion."This represents the largest one-year debt reduction in the history of the United States," Clinton said Wednesday morning. "Like our American athletes in Sydney, we've been breaking records and have come a long way."In June, the administration predicted the surplus would be $211 billion, and would increase by as much as $1 trillion over the next 10 years.Clinton also announced the federal government paid down the national debt by $223 billion this year, and by more than $360 billion since 1998, the largest debt reduction in U.S. history."The key to fiscal discipline is maintaining these results year after year. We need to put our priorities in order," Clinton said.The president's news comes as lawmakers on Capitol Hill continue to wrestle with the fiscal year 2001 budget numbers. The new budget year begins October 1, and Congress and the White House remain at odds over spending allocations."I hope we will see a continuation of this trend in the final budget negotiations," the president said. "I am concerned frankly about the size and last-minute nature of this year's congressional spending spree." Congress, Clinton said, has not adequately funded education programs, strengthened Medicare and funded other domestic priorities set forth by the administration."These are the things that need to be done and I certainly hope they will be and still make the right investments and the right amount of tax cuts," Clinton said.The president unveiled the new numbers in a statement at the White House, before departing for fund-raising events in Dallas and Houston."This is part of our fiscal discipline to reduce the debt with the federal surplus," said one White House official who asked not to be identified. Reducing the debt, the official said, has "real effects for real Americans." It means lower interest rates for mortgages, car loans and college loans, and leads to an increase in investment and more jobs."It is the third year in a row the federal government has taken in more than it spent, and has paid down the debt. The last time the U.S. government had a third consecutive years of national debt reduction was 1949, said the official.The federal budget surplus for fiscal year 1999 was 122.7 billion, and 69.2 billion for fiscal year 1998. Those back-to-back surpluses, the first since 1957, allowed the Treasury to pay down $138 billion in national debt.

President Clinton announces another record budget surplus - CNN

President Obama says House Speaker John Boehner "walked away" from debt talks over "an extraordinarily fair" deal.

No details yet. Get ready for double digit interest rates. It should make Bachmann happy!

There is no doubt that the Republican leadership hopes to create a crisis for political purposes. Boehner and Cantor and the rest can point fingers at the Democrats and Obama but only the most partisan will be convinced.

I suspect there is a good deal of voter regret across America tonight and that regret will turn to anger if the limit is not raised and the even a modicum of the worst happens. First Cantor and then Boehner - the supposed Speaker of the House - simply walk away. How long would you keep your job if you did the same?
Republicans demands for fiscal responsibility are not crweating a crisis. The crisis is already here. It was caused by years of spending money we didn't have. Blame it on who ever you want, but the onl;y way to prevent collapse is to rein in spending, A LOT!

It rings a bell with me, I was one of the troops he sent there.

Actually bush left $11 trillion

The above is a (1) lie or (2) stupidity - you choose. I'll give old Salt the benefit of the doubt, especially in light of his previous posts, and opt for (2). :D

Debt Jan. 31 2001: $5.7 trillion

ftp://ftp.publicdebt.treas.gov/opd/opds012001.pdf

Debt- Dec 31 2008: $10.699 trillion

http://www.treasurydirect.gov/govt/reports/pd/mspd/2008/opds122008.pdf

Oops I was off by 300 billion, I was rounding up.

I think usarmyretired should have his government check cut.

He's on the public sugar teet.

Rumble on the street is Obama "invited" key Republicans into his office for a "compromise." Then he engaged the soliloquy form of dictation as to what that compromise would be, and he disallowed any of them to speak. Ergo, they left. THAT'S NOT COMPROMISE, THAT'S DICTATORSHIP.

Furthermore, United States Representatives are elected in their states by a direct vote of the people in their own area. Their job is to speak in the interests of the people.

In Obama's office, apparently, there is no listening going on to American voters from conservative-voter precincts.

We can and will speak a lot louder in 2012. We'll be speaking in terms of a pink slip for a President who has no respect for what 80% of the Americans are saying--STOP THE SPENDING.

The American people will not be reelecting politicians who spend over purse.

The first tea party was over British overtaxing.

This tea party is not amused at Obama for saboteuring any semblance of a balanced budget on his watch. Spendthrifts with no budget plans and a 9.2% unemployment factor get pink slips.

You tea party <taboo anatomical term omitted> are ridiculous.

Oh, my taxes are too high! oooo...I need lower taxes.

Our taxes are too low. That's why we have a deficit. It was created by the Bush tax cuts.

My dream is that one day people will realize that paying your taxes is patriotic.

And that people who are against paying their taxes are anti-American.

The fire department and the police department and the post office and the school system and the EPA and Social Security and Medicare and the interstate highway system and the Hoover Dam and NASA and Seal Team Six are all good things, and they are paid for with our taxes.

I am not tea party. I never attended a tea party rally, answered a tea party request, nor engaged in any form of tea party movement. I said "this tea party" in deference to those who are insisting on no more taxing. They are not interested in being the EU poster child any more.

This nation was categorically formed by American colonists whose good will toward monarchs perished under the larceny of a British King who saw everyone in the world as his cash cow; he apparently saw himself as absolute master of the realm and everyone in it, who was properly at his beck and call if he yawned and looked their way.

The last straw was the tax on tea. Americans adopted coffee as the national beverage and threw away boxes and boxes of tea with the new high-tax tea stamps upon them.

Guess what. The founders decided to form a union in which people could have business and land ownership that wasn't "granted" as a privilege for cowtowing to any monarch or his entourage.

I never failed to pay taxes during my career years, always paid local, state and federal taxes. I'm not hollering about that.

We presently have a President who views government as a candy store, and he gets to choose who gets the candy, and nobody else does. He's just as pompous as King George of England who launched the colonies into the United States with not only high taxes, but with zero representation in his court, since he was so lofty and those colonist people were such low-class scum he didn't want to have his ears bothered with their words and suggestions!

We fixed the problem. George Washington, in the bitterest winter known at Valley Forge, persevered with barefoot youngsters and men alike, at the behest of the Continental Congress and his fellow countrymen, to push forth and drive the British off these shores. In the meantime, the Continental Congress, full of love for their deliverers ensured that they and their posterity would no longer be subject to the abuses of government they suffered as colonists, and the Bill of Rights was born.

Their patriotism began so they could make their own living and make their own governing decisions.

I come from a long line of patriots, and your little dittoes of Obama's henchmen do not make me less a patriot than I was born to be.

I say taxing for the sake of resolving every problem and never, never being able to pay back anything with my taxes except interest on loans that never should have been made is what's not patriotic. It's a ditto of King George's untenable rule and will harm future generations to be yoked into a government no different than the one we kicked ass on in the American Revolution and finally, the Battle of New Orleans, since the British were determined to take back what they considered theirs.

You can't own a man. That's nothing but slavery. We decided against that in the Civil War, but we started the ball rolling in 1776 when we declared our independence from the monarch in the British Isles who was too high and mighty to hear our best people or to seek their opinion on how best to govern people he gave not a fig for, except to yoke with higher and higher taxes so he could live a more and more privileged life with all his European neighbors gasping in jealousy at his wealth and pomp.

Fiddlesticks, our founders did good. :D
Income taxes rates are at their lowest level in 70 years. Taxes on the high earners have declined from 90% to 35% but that's just for starters. Because of the numerous deductions, exemptions, and credits the average effective tax rate is only 17% with almost half the country paying nothing. The effective rate for earners in the highest quintile is only 28%.

The country is effectively bleeding to death with debt and yet we are one of the least taxed nations on earth. Our tax system needs to be changed to eliminate credits, exemptions, and deductions that discourage growth.

President Obama says House Speaker John Boehner "walked away" from debt talks over "an extraordinarily fair" deal.

No details yet. Get ready for double digit interest rates. It should make Bachmann happy!

There is no doubt that the Republican leadership hopes to create a crisis for political purposes. Boehner and Cantor and the rest can point fingers at the Democrats and Obama but only the most partisan will be convinced.

I suspect there is a good deal of voter regret across America tonight and that regret will turn to anger if the limit is not raised and the even a modicum of the worst happens. First Cantor and then Boehner - the supposed Speaker of the House - simply walk away. How long would you keep your job if you did the same?
Republicans demands for fiscal responsibility are not crweating a crisis. The crisis is already here. It was caused by years of spending money we didn't have. Blame it on who ever you want, but the onl;y way to prevent collapse is to rein in spending, A LOT!
You are not fiscally responsible if you are willing to default on your debts. Being willing to default in order to reduce your spending is real insanity, far worst than overspending.

Last edited:
Actually bush left $11 trillion

The above is a (1) lie or (2) stupidity - you choose. I'll give old Salt the benefit of the doubt, especially in light of his previous posts, and opt for (2). :D

When you ambiguously said Bush "left" 11 trillion, it sounded like you were inplying he was responsible for that amount.

When you ambiguously said Bush "left" 11 trillion, it sounded like you were inplying he was responsible for that amount.

If Obama is responsible for 14 trillion, then Bush is responsible for 11 trillion.

If Obama is responsible for 14 trillion, then Bush is responsible for 11 trillion.

the current debt is 14.5 trillion

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

In 2.5 years, obama has run up almost 4 trillion. Further, during Bush's term, the US was fighting the iraq war, now largely wound down. In any case, just at his current burn rate, obama will have been responsible for about 6 trillion. Further, obama's debt creation is more irresponsible than Bush's, because every marginal dollar spent now is with a much worse existing debt. Don't think I'm defending RINO Bush though.

You are not fiscally responsible if you are willing to default on your debts. Being willing to default in order to reduce your spending is real insanity, far worst than overspending.

But are you fiscally responsible if you get a loan to get out of trouble and keep spending like a drunken sailor?

A prudent person might speak to a stump once out of some sort of philosophical exercise and then, having heard no intelligent response, walk away.

Twice, however, might well represent perversion.

But are you fiscally responsible if you get a loan to get out of trouble and keep spending like a drunken sailor?

When an economy is in a deflationary spiral, the government MUST be the demand of last resort. Otherwise, you go into a Great Depression.

The stimulus saved us from a Great Depression.

Now the Republicans in Congress want to destroy the economy to win the election.

They will burn in hell.

In 2.5 years, obama has run up almost 4 trillion. Further, during Bush's term, the US was fighting the iraq war, now largely wound down. In any case, just at his current burn rate, obama will have been responsible for about 6 trillion. Further, obama's debt creation is more irresponsible than Bush's, because every marginal dollar spent now is with a much worse existing debt. Don't think I'm defending RINO Bush though.

You just defended bush.How much of the 2009-10 debt was from bush's mess of 2008? Bush created the 7 trillion dollar unfunded medicare part D, who's budget did that go on? If Obama is responsible for his 4 trillion, then Bush is responsible for 5+.

You just defended bush.How much of the 2009-10 debt was from bush's mess of 2008?

BUSH's mess??!! the roots of the financial crisis was the leftwing Community Reinvestment Act, a sop to the democrat party's minority clients, which pushed trillions of dollars of loans out the door to unqualified minority borrowers who later defaulted.

Bush created the 7 trillion dollar unfunded medicare part D, who's budget did that go on?

As if the democrats didn't want a prescription bill - quit the crap. The democrats didn't like the particular bill that was adopted.

They will burn in hell.

More likely in Washington.

Some may be smart enough to go North for the weekend. After all, nothing productive is going to happen in DC until government is shut down and Obama realizes he can't fly off to golf 'cause the pilots aren't getting paid.

Maybe he'd try piloting himself! Think of how many ills that might cure.....

BUSH's mess??!! the roots of the financial crisis was the leftwing Community Reinvestment Act, a sop to the democrat party's minority clients, which pushed trillions of dollars of loans out the door to unqualified minority borrowers who later defaulted.

Bush created the 7 trillion dollar unfunded medicare part D, who's budget did that go on?

As if the democrats didn't want a prescription bill - quit the crap. The democrats didn't like the particular bill that was adopted.

Didn't Bush push for home ownership? Bush and the Republicans controlled the government in 2003, when Medicare part D was passed. You absolve Bush of debt incurred on his watch, but blame Obama for debt on his watch. You can't have it both ways. Read up on Gramm-Rudmann

Forum List

Back