Boehner Stalls Immigration Bill Citing Lack of Trust in Obama

Kondor3

Cafeteria Centrist
Jul 29, 2009
Illinois, USA

By Michael C. Bender February 06, 2014 - Business Week

ip7dyQHQg2AM.jpg

House Speaker John Boehner speaks during his weekly news conference on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C. on Feb. 6, 2014. Photographer: Alex Wong/Getty Images

House Speaker John Boehner said it will be difficult to pass an immigration bill because fellow Republicans don’t trust President Barack Obama to implement the law, a position that shrinks chances for House action this year.

“There’s widespread doubt about whether this administration can be trusted to enforce our laws,” Boehner told reporters in Washington today. “It’s going to be difficult to move any immigration legislation until that changes.”

While Boehner tries to shift blame to Obama, many House Republicans are wary of engaging in a policy debate that divides the party and risks overshadowing their focus on criticizing the president’s health-care law.

The election-year distraction was the “toughest argument” from House Republicans opposed to advancing immigration bills, Representative Mario Diaz-Balart said at a Bloomberg Government breakfast this week. So far, Republican leaders, including Boehner, haven’t publicly offered an argument about how they’d keep the party together on the issue.

“The conversations that need to take place aren’t taking place,” said Representative Devin Nunes, a California Republican who favors a comprehensive immigration measure. “It’s going to be really difficult at this point.”

Raised Expectations

Boehner a week ago released a framework for immigration revisions that raised expectations that Congress may come to an agreement this year. The framework was welcomed by Obama and Senator Charles Schumer, the chamber’s No. 3 Democrat, though it dropped a number of aspects of the bipartisan bill passed by the Senate last year.

The loudest opposition came from Boehner’s fellow Republicans.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, a Kentucky Republican facing a primary challenge, said this week there was an “irresolvable conflict” on immigration. Representative Raul Labrador, an Idaho Republican aligned with the Tea Party movement, said an immigration push this year should cost Boehner his post.

“It’s a mistake for us to have an internal battle in the Republican Party this year about immigration reform,” Labrador told reporters yesterday, adding that the policy was “one of the first things we should do next year.”

‘Take Time’

Asked about Boehner’s comments, White House press secretary Jay Carney said today that immigration policies “take time.”

“There is a genuine recognition among leaders of the Republican Party that this is the right thing to do for our economy,” Carney told reporters. “There is a strong conservative case to be made for passing comprehensive immigration reform.”

Schumer told reporters that he was “not thrown back by Speaker Boehner’s statement.”

“I would urge Speaker Boehner to keep working at it,” Schumer said.

The Service Employees International Union, a labor group that mostly backs Democrats, said Boehner’s comments show his party has “disdain for the views of Latino, Asian and young voters.”

“Republicans have a choice: they can pander to a small, extremist arm of the GOP and follow them into the political wilderness or they can do the right thing for our nation and pass immigration reform,” SEIU Vice President Rocio Saenz said in a statement.

Troubled Rollout

Boehner said the distrust for Obama stems from the president’s actions on the 2010 Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, the biggest revision to the health-care system since the 1960s. The troubled rollout of Obamacare’s health exchanges helped Republicans improve their approval ratings in opinion polls, after voters largely blamed the party for a 16-day partial government shutdown in October.

Boehner Stalls Immigration Bill Citing Lack of Trust in Obama - Businessweek

=======================================

Looks like the GOP is serving-up some payback for their defeat in attempting to repeal ObamaCare.

Last edited:
As chance would have it I am watching the House Budget Committee Hearing of the 2014 Economic Outlook. The Congress Budget Office did an assessment of the immigration reform bill which passed the Senate last year and determined that the effects would be reduced deficits and a stronger economy and "lead to higher output per person in this country." The reason is the composition of the new people would be younger, skilled labor who would be paying into the system and not collecting benefits for several years to come.

I, for one, and speaking only for myself, would rather we go broke, than cave-in to a Shamnesty deal.

Saying that we should admit 12,000,000 invaders into our midst, after they have trashed wage-levels in several labor markets, and broken our laws in coming here, is rather like continuing to raise the debt ceiling...

What happens the NEXT time we get into trouble... admit another 24,000,000 Illegal Aliens into our midst, to pay for the NEXT round of troubles?

No... it's got to end someplace and sometime... might as well bite the bullet and get that the hell over with now, rather than later... I'll take some (economic) pain now, in order to avoid the agony later.

I've grown weary of my country being held hostage by these unwelcome party-crashers and their sympathizers.

Last edited:
I, for one, and speaking only for myself, would rather we go broke, than cave-in to a Shamnesty deal.

Saying that we should admit 12,000,000 invaders into our midst, after they have trashed wage-levels in several labor markets, and broken our laws in coming here, is rather like continuing to raise the debt ceiling...

What happens the NEXT time we get into trouble... admit another 24,000,000 Illegal Aliens into our midst, to pay for the NEXT round of troubles?

No... it's got to end someplace and sometime... might as well bite the bullet and get that the hell over with now, rather than later... I'll take some (economic) pain now, in order to avoid the agony later.

I've grown weary of my country being held hostage by these unwelcome party-crashers and their sympathizers.

You say you'll take some economic pain now. Do you feel you have been cheated into a better deal?

This is bullshit. Boner is counting on right-wing rubes to buy his pony show. All of DC except for real conservatives (of which there are few) want amnesty.

Boner is tabling it for this year because the GOP henchmen will get slaughtered in primaries by T's, but it will go through before 2016.

People need to wake the fuck up. Boner is as much poison as Obammy.

By Michael C. Bender February 06, 2014 - Business Week

ip7dyQHQg2AM.jpg

House Speaker John Boehner speaks during his weekly news conference on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C. on Feb. 6, 2014. Photographer: Alex Wong/Getty Images

House Speaker John Boehner said it will be difficult to pass an immigration bill because fellow Republicans don’t trust President Barack Obama to implement the law, a position that shrinks chances for House action this year.

“There’s widespread doubt about whether this administration can be trusted to enforce our laws,” Boehner told reporters in Washington today. “It’s going to be difficult to move any immigration legislation until that changes.”

While Boehner tries to shift blame to Obama, many House Republicans are wary of engaging in a policy debate that divides the party and risks overshadowing their focus on criticizing the president’s health-care law.

The election-year distraction was the “toughest argument” from House Republicans opposed to advancing immigration bills, Representative Mario Diaz-Balart said at a Bloomberg Government breakfast this week. So far, Republican leaders, including Boehner, haven’t publicly offered an argument about how they’d keep the party together on the issue.

“The conversations that need to take place aren’t taking place,” said Representative Devin Nunes, a California Republican who favors a comprehensive immigration measure. “It’s going to be really difficult at this point.”

Raised Expectations

Boehner a week ago released a framework for immigration revisions that raised expectations that Congress may come to an agreement this year. The framework was welcomed by Obama and Senator Charles Schumer, the chamber’s No. 3 Democrat, though it dropped a number of aspects of the bipartisan bill passed by the Senate last year.

The loudest opposition came from Boehner’s fellow Republicans.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, a Kentucky Republican facing a primary challenge, said this week there was an “irresolvable conflict” on immigration. Representative Raul Labrador, an Idaho Republican aligned with the Tea Party movement, said an immigration push this year should cost Boehner his post.

“It’s a mistake for us to have an internal battle in the Republican Party this year about immigration reform,” Labrador told reporters yesterday, adding that the policy was “one of the first things we should do next year.”

‘Take Time’

Asked about Boehner’s comments, White House press secretary Jay Carney said today that immigration policies “take time.”

“There is a genuine recognition among leaders of the Republican Party that this is the right thing to do for our economy,” Carney told reporters. “There is a strong conservative case to be made for passing comprehensive immigration reform.”

Schumer told reporters that he was “not thrown back by Speaker Boehner’s statement.”

“I would urge Speaker Boehner to keep working at it,” Schumer said.

The Service Employees International Union, a labor group that mostly backs Democrats, said Boehner’s comments show his party has “disdain for the views of Latino, Asian and young voters.”

“Republicans have a choice: they can pander to a small, extremist arm of the GOP and follow them into the political wilderness or they can do the right thing for our nation and pass immigration reform,” SEIU Vice President Rocio Saenz said in a statement.

Troubled Rollout

Boehner said the distrust for Obama stems from the president’s actions on the 2010 Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, the biggest revision to the health-care system since the 1960s. The troubled rollout of Obamacare’s health exchanges helped Republicans improve their approval ratings in opinion polls, after voters largely blamed the party for a 16-day partial government shutdown in October.

Boehner Stalls Immigration Bill Citing Lack of Trust in Obama - Businessweek

=======================================

Looks like the GOP is serving-up some payback for their defeat in attempting to repeal ObamaCare.

Wow man... Bonner is actually doing something that makes sense?

-Geaux

WTF is wrong with this guy that he backs down every time his party stands up to him. Look at what McConnell pulled on him today.

Boehner has no balls.

It's the Tea Party against business. Ha!

Business wants immigrants with degrees because with Republicans, education simply doesn't "take". Republicans think immigrants will take jobs Republicans aren't qualified for anyway. Hilarious.

"...You say you'll take some economic pain now. Do you feel you have been cheated into a better deal?"
No. I mean that I am willing to forego the monetary contributions of 12,000,000 'new citizens' if it means that we refuse them a path to citizenship and begin turning the screws to make them want to self-deport on their own. I would rather lose the money than give them what they have been conniving for and let them get away with it.

Forum List

Back