Boat living in Boston harbor.. has anyone boat lived before?

so rent is very high in Boston and I am thinking about buying a house boat to live in for a little while to save money.

If anyone had ever lived in a boat can you tell me the pros and cons?? Thanks
Boat living is for people who love the water. I have a house and a condo. I see the condo on week ends. I have not seen the interior of my house for a little over two years. While I do not have a house boat I commonly sleep on my pontoon. Most nights I sleep in my RV on one of the lots I own. I personally will own a house boat at some point and time and will love it. How ever all the complications offered with a boat are things I enjoy, not all people are like this. I do not need a grocery store to feed me. Standing out in the rain all night coyotte hunting is my idea of fun. Alot of people would veiw this as work. I find the sway of a boat puts me to sleep and love sleeping there. Many people get boat sick. I have friends that get sea sick but will go up on my plane with me and I have friends that will go on a boat but ain't no way they are getting on a plane. If you like the salt life as they call it in florida you will like livin g on a boat. Different strokes for different folks.

PS. I went coyotte hunting last night and got two! Cold as fuck but good night! 8 hours of fun and a $250 pay check. Better than paying to go charter fishing. Of course if I had a big boat I would not have to pay a charter company to go out to sea. I want one baddddddddd!

Last edited:
We lived on our houseboat during the summer for 2 years. It was awesome. I wouldn’t trade it for the world. And there is nothing like the gentle rock of a boat for sleeping well.
Some do not do well with it, though.
Worries of mold, etc., in my opinion are being over hyped. When you live on it, it is usually opened up, and reduces the effects of mold, as well as doing a weekly cleaning over all surfaces.
If you anchor off an island it will need to be a protected, sheltered area, to help protect from rough weather. Do you plan on a generator for power? If solar, remember, those cloudy days could shut your power down. I would also suggest having a runabout to pick up supplies, etc., so you don’t have to pull anchor every time you need something or want to go somewhere. Boats are not inexpensive, but without slip fees, much more manageable. They also depreciate very quickly.
Periodically you will have to pull anchor to refill water tanks, empty waste, etc, unless there are services available to come to you.

Overall, it was a fantastic experience. Just be sure to think through everything before you invest in one.
so rent is very high in Boston and I am thinking about buying a house boat to live in for a little while to save money.

I believed it might be a fun idea for awhile, but it has to get lonely and feel as isolated as living in the back Woods after awhile.
many people are loneliest in places like Boston, LA, NY ... seriously

I don't know if you are joking or not, but it's a good point. If it were in a harbor with another 100 House Boats, it would just be like living in any community. People would have dogs, kids, local dances etc. No different than a trailer park I guess.

At our family cottage we had the Locks nearby and many big boats. I've also been out East and some paid for docking "rent" in a particular area with many boats. Some lived there for sure.
I’m serious.. docking fees are very expensive in Boston, so I would mostly anchor off a island for free, I would only dock occasionally,

But I am worried about the chopppy weather. And sleep. Is it hard to sleep on a boat? Solar panels for electrical.

Boat living is for people who love the water. I have a house and a condo. I see the condo on week ends. I have not seen the interior of my house for a little over two years. While I do not have a house boat I commonly sleep on my pontoon. Most nights I sleep in my RV on one of the lots I own. I personally will own a house boat at some point and time and will love it. How ever all the complications offered with a boat are things I enjoy, not all people are like this. I do not need a grocery store to feed me. Standing out in the rain all night coyotte hunting is my idea of fun. Alot of people would veiw this as work. I find the sway of a boat puts me to sleep and love sleeping there. Many people get boat sick. I have friends that get sea sick but will go up on my plane with me and I have friends that will go on a boat but ain't no way they are getting on a plane. If you like the salt life as they call it in florida you will like livin g on a boat. Different strokes for different folks.
Love your life style! Unfortunately I live In freedom less Boston.. but I think I want to give it a try, boat live off the coast of Boston save some money

We lived on our houseboat during the summer for 2 years. It was awesome. I wouldn’t trade it for the world. And there is nothing like the gentle rock of a boat for sleeping well.
Worries of mold, etc., in my opinion are being over hyped. When you live on it, it is usually opened up, and reduces the effects of mold, as well as doing a weekly cleaning over all surfaces.
If you anchor off an island it will need to be a protected, sheltered area, to help protect from rough weather. Do you plan on a generator for power? If solar, remember, those cloudy days could shut your power down. I would also suggest having a runabout to pick up supplies, etc., so you don’t have to pull anchor every time you need something or want to go somewhere. Boats are not inexpensive, but without slip fees, much more manageable. They also depreciate very quickly.
Periodically you will have to pull anchor to refill water tanks, empty waste, etc, unless there are services available to come to you.

Overall, it was a fantastic experience. Just be sure to think through everything before you invest in one.

I believed it might be a fun idea for awhile, but it has to get lonely and feel as isolated as living in the back Woods after awhile.

I don't know if you are joking or not, but it's a good point. If it were in a harbor with another 100 House Boats, it would just be like living in any community. People would have dogs, kids, local dances etc. No different than a trailer park I guess.

At our family cottage we had the Locks nearby and many big boats. I've also been out East and some paid for docking "rent" in a particular area with many boats. Some lived there for sure.
I’m serious.. docking fees are very expensive in Boston, so I would mostly anchor off a island for free, I would only dock occasionally,

But I am worried about the chopppy weather. And sleep. Is it hard to sleep on a boat? Solar panels for electrical.
Hey thanks! My plan is to drop anchor some where close to Boston pay no rent, periodically use a slip, or dock in Boston. I will have a run boat, but I’m worried where is can keep it, Boston is very expensive to dock. But a run boat shouldn’t be to much. I hope to have solar panels on the roof, feeding a generator. I hope to have WiFi, a TV. I will have my cat on board at all times.

Love your life style! Unfortunately I live In freedom less Boston.. but I think I want to give it a try, boat live off the coast of Boston save some money
If sea worthy boat equal freedom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i couldn't imagine being lonely as a single guy who can afford to live on a boat. the efficient "master and commander" knows he needs a chief mate, and perhaps a second and third mate.

if you are willing to invest in learning more about it; you could learn how maintain as much of the boat as possible to lower cost.

what can you not learn on YouTube.

I wish you luck with it. It can be so peaceful and I hope it works out for you.
One thing to remember, in Boston Harbor winters could get brutal. I don’t know if the harbor routinely freezes there or not. Make certain you explore that possibility. Due to the low temps there in winter, you would also want to make certain the boat is well insulated and heated as it sitting in icy water temps, the cold will creep into the boat.

Also, you can tie off the runabout behind the boat. Just make sure you have a great cover for it, and a good working bilge.

Hey thanks! My plan is to drop anchor some where close to Boston pay no rent, periodically use a slip, or dock in Boston. I will have a run boat, but I’m worried where is can keep it, Boston is very expensive to dock. But a run boat shouldn’t be to much. I hope to have solar panels on the roof, feeding a generator. I hope to have WiFi, a TV. I will have my cat on board at all times.

A sea worthy sail boat is not that expensive and you coulod travel up and down coast on wind power instead of gas or diesel. Of course you would have to learn to sail. I need to take lessons all my boats have motors except my yak!

Yep. Here in Palm Beach county there are a number of sailboats anchored in the inlet. As long as they aren’t anchored where you have to pass under a bridge to hit the ocean, it is free.

A sea worthy sail boat is not that expensive and you coulod travel up and down coast on wind power instead of gas or diesel. Of course you would have to learn to sail. I need to take lessons all my boats have motors except my yak!

from what i have read; maintenance is very high. renting or leasing may be an option to start out.
I could also air B and B it make money

hogwash

it depends on what coast and in what state or country in which one is living in a boat

and some harbors are so messy, waves would not rock any normal person to sleep. LOL

Hogwash? Really? Well, too bad for you I won’t post pictures of us on it, just to prove it to you.

hogwash

it depends on what coast and in what state or country in which one is living in a boat

and some harbors are so messy, waves would not rock any normal person to sleep. LOL

Hogwash? Really? Well, too bad for you I won’t post pictures of us on it, just to prove it to you.

hogwash

your anecdotal stories do not counter the broader points and facts

Oh, really? I could care less whether you believe it or not. The conversation was between Jitss617 and myself.

hogwash

grow up. stop whining
it's unattractive

it's not a PM

want a private convo? GOT TO PM!!! LOL

Oh, really? I could care less whether you believe it or not. The conversation was between Jitss617 and myself.

hogwash

grow up. stop whining
it's unattractive

it's not a PM

want a private convo? GOT TO PM!!! LOL

hogwash

Do you have any experience to add to the post?

Forum List

Back