Boat living in Boston harbor.. has anyone boat lived before?

Jitss617

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2019
so rent is very high in Boston and I am thinking about buying a house boat to live in for a little while to save money.

If anyone had ever lived in a boat can you tell me the pros and cons?? Thanks

I know people who have. Experience a really bad winter and you'd be looking for another place to call home LOL

so rent is very high in Boston and I am thinking about buying a house boat to live in for a little while to save money.

I believed it might be a fun idea for awhile, but it has to get lonely and feel as isolated as living in the back Woods after awhile.

save money? Do what the immigrants who wash dishes do -- bunk up with roommates

if they can save and buy cars, homes...

I believed it might be a fun idea for awhile, but it has to get lonely and feel as isolated as living in the back Woods after awhile.
many people are loneliest in places like Boston, LA, NY ... seriously

I don't know if you are joking or not, but it's a good point. If it were in a harbor with another 100 House Boats, it would just be like living in any community. People would have dogs, kids, local dances etc. No different than a trailer park I guess.

At our family cottage we had the Locks nearby and many big boats. I've also been out East and some paid for docking "rent" in a particular area with many boats. Some lived there for sure.

Try talking to people who live in boatyards in places like East Boston and Chelsea. Not easy, and expenses to eat and other expenses can rise. A boatslip downtown is not cheap, not cheap. and there are hidden costs. And worse of all -- the weather, the smells, the mold -- not for the light of heart. Cheaper to live in a van and find out of the way places to stealth camp and pay a few tickets when you mess up LOL

I don't know if you are joking or not, but it's a good point. If it were in a harbor with another 100 House Boats, it would just be like living in any community. People would have dogs, kids, local dances etc. No different than a trailer park I guess.

At our family cottage we had the Locks nearby and many big boats. I've also been out East and some paid for docking "rent" in a particular area with many boats. Some lived there for sure.
........... I know people who have lived on boats in the harbor.

If you have the income to live on a boat in a slip downtown, you can afford an apt. somewhere in a neighborhood. Big cities have waiting lists for slips. Parking is tough for people who, live on a boat and have an auto............... Again, people who are grandfathered in have it all. Newcomers get the screw treatment

living is not cheap, unless you start cutting down on the consumerism and sacrifice comfort

I’m serious.. docking fees are very expensive in Boston, so I would mostly anchor off a island for free, I would only dock occasionally,

But I am worried about the chopppy weather. And sleep. Is it hard to sleep on a boat? Solar panels for electrical.

Try talking to people who live in boatyards in places like East Boston and Chelsea. Not easy, and expenses to eat and other expenses can rise. A boatslip downtown is not cheap, not cheap. and there are hidden costs. And worse of all -- the weather, the smells, the mold -- not for the light of heart. Cheaper to live in a van and find out of the way places to stealth camp and pay a few tickets when you mess up LOL
True but I can drop anchor at a island close by for free, I like the fact I can fish, and I can travel up the coast with almost no traffic, looking at downtown boston as I sleep would be amazing!

I do work in Boston’s sea port so I would need to find a small boat to take me to the shore and dock it .. small boats are cheap.

I’m serious.. docking fees are very expensive in Boston, so I would mostly anchor off a island for free, I would only dock occasionally,

But I am worried about the chopppy weather. And sleep. Is it hard to sleep on a boat? Solar panels for electrical.

........... I know people who have lived on boats in the harbor.

If you have the income to live on a boat in a slip downtown, you can afford an apt. somewhere in a neighborhood. Big cities have waiting lists for slips. Parking is tough for people who, live on a boat and have an auto............... Again, people who are grandfathered in have it all. Newcomers get the screw treatment

living is not cheap, unless you start cutting down on the consumerism and sacrifice comfort

True but I can drop anchor at a island close by for free, I like the fact I can fish, and I can travel up the coast with almost no traffic, looking at downtown boston as I sleep would be amazing!
really? Most of the inner harbor is part of a national park. I'd check that out

In BOSTON harbor? Stop being stupid.

Save money? Unlikely IMHO.

In my experience a boat is a hole in the water you dump money into.

How is that stupid many do it

It wouldn’t be what you imagine. You’d spend a fortune, be miserable, probably sick, and all your shit would be ruined.

How is that stupid many do it

It wouldn’t be what you imagine. You’d spend a fortune, be miserable, probably sick, and all your shit would be ruined.
That’s why I’m asking .. but if you have no experience why are you commenting

Forum List

Back