Boar Hunting rifle question/suggestions?

JackDan

ooo-ooh that smell.
Mar 9, 2011
San Diego
In about a month I am going boar hunting in imperial county, california.

I am an avid outdoorsman, and in the past ten years have taken a few deer, and an antelope, and a black bear. I keep missing out on the nevada bighorn, next year I will get that lottery! I know my 30-06 or 30-30 could take down a wild boar no problem, but I just got this mini-14 .223 that I tricked out and I really want to use it to take down a boar. I do not want to wound the animal and have it go through extra misery if I have to track it. Do you guys think a .223 round is too small with too little stopping power for wild boar? Should make for some great eatin.

577978-barrett_.50cal_super.jpg

Or my favorite:

mg42.jpg

No fuss, no muss, instant boar hamburger.

I am an avid outdoorsman, and in the past ten years have taken a few deer, and an antelope, and a black bear. I keep missing out on the nevada bighorn, next year I will get that lottery! I know my 30-06 or 30-30 could take down a wild boar no problem, but I just got this mini-14 .223 that I tricked out and I really want to use it to take down a boar. I do not want to wound the animal and have it go through extra misery if I have to track it. Do you guys think a .223 round is too small with too little stopping power for wild boar? Should make for some great eatin.

Unless you hit it perfectly and at close range you won't stop it.

They have incredibly tough hide, especially around their neck and shoulders. You don't want to deal with a pissed off boar with a .223 even on full auto. Use the ought six.

Based on where you are going to be hunting I would say stick with the .06. However if you are going to be in the western part of the county there is a ton of scrub brush so they can get quite close to you. In that case I would go with a 450 Marlin or an 1886 in 45-70 loaded with 500 grain bullets.

If you are an exceptional shot you can get away with using a .223 loaded with 80 grain projectiles but as i said you have to put the bullet into a very small target area that is beyond the skill of most hunters.

Unless you hit it perfectly and at close range you won't stop it.

Thanks for all the responses, I pretty much thought this was the way it would be. I will stick to the ought 6 and maybe ill post some pics after the hunt.

Forum List

Back