Blood Lions: A Call to Stop Canned Lion Hunting

I I hunt but I think canned hunting is a disgrace. Africans make a show of caring for wildlife but it seems that they are in it for the money. I think we should rethink capturing animals for display in zoos also.

I I hunt but I think canned hunting is a disgrace. Africans make a show of caring for wildlife but it seems that they are in it for the money. I think we should rethink capturing animals for display in zoos also.
I would never want to hunt anyway but fair chase.
In all fairness, I don't feel compelled to tell anyone else how to hunt. It's not my place, hunting is a sacred act.

Plus, that is in Africa they can suit themselves. Tons of bush meat is brought to the villages and community's in Africa from trophy hunting no part of the animals is wasted... And the money is very welcome to a truly impoverished people.
If it ain't broke don't fix it...

Last edited:

Its a lie that canned hunts feed people, either directly or as a boost to their economy. As has been repeatedly pointed out, you can make a lot more money selling the opportunity to photograph the same animals thousands of time than you will make by putting him a small enclosure and killing him once.

Be aware that the US is as bad. Animals kept in the worst conditions, waiting for some bozo who has more cash than balls to want to prove what a big brave he-man his he is for shooting a tame animal.

In the US, the worst is in Texasss. There are now more tigers in cages in Texasss than free in their own habitat.

Its a lie that canned hunts feed people, either directly or as a boost to their economy. As has been repeatedly pointed out, you can make a lot more money selling the opportunity to photograph the same animals thousands of time than you will make by putting him a small enclosure and killing him once.

Be aware that the US is as bad. Animals kept in the worst conditions, waiting for some bozo who has more cash than balls to want to prove what a big brave he-man his he is for shooting a tame animal.

In the US, the worst is in Texasss. There are now more tigers in cages in Texasss than free in their own habitat.

You got a link?
Keeping tigers in Texas is illegal.

You got a link?
Keeping tigers in Texas is illegal.

Actually it's not illegal.

Summary of Law: No person may possess a dangerous wild animal without first obtaining a license (certificate of registration). Dangerous wild animals are defined as lions, tigers, ocelots, cougars, leopards, cheetahs, jaguars, bobcats, lynxes, servals, caracals, hyenas, bears, coyotes, jackals, baboons, chimpanzees, orangutans, gorillas, or any hybrids of the animals listed. However, there are no requirements for a person possessing all other animal not listed above, such as monkeys, wolves etc.

I am not a leftward or a bleeding heart progressive

That doesn't mean that I don't love and care for all animal life!

Shame on all of you!

The animals have to be culled in order to maintain a healthy population,and the money goes to further that cause.

Nope. Not even close. Read my posts earlier in the thread.

This is one of the lies told by pro-killing groups and hunters to make it seem like they're doing something good and worthwhile. Hunters kill the strongest and healthiest which weakens the gene pool and it contributes very little money to the overall economy.

Have you ever heard of a Boone and Crockett contest to kill the oldest and sickest? Have you looked at Rustic's trophy avi and his pictures? Even if he or others were willing to kill the weakest, do you really think they ask the animal for identification that proves his age?

As I said earlier, back in the Vietnam era we had a saying - Killing for peace [or conservation] is like fucking for chastity. Same with killing wild animals.

An all of the above approach is the best solution... Hunting and photo safari all good for the cummunites and villages.

The fact is the African people in these communities are more than welcoming to both photo safari's and hunting... They love the free food and economic boost of both...

I am not a leftward or a bleeding heart progressive

That doesn't mean that I don't love and care for all animal life!

Shame on all of you!

The animals have to be culled in order to maintain a healthy population,and the money goes to further that cause.

Nope. Not even close. Read my posts earlier in the thread.

This is one of the lies told by pro-killing groups and hunters to make it seem like they're doing something good and worthwhile. Hunters kill the strongest and healthiest which weakens the gene pool and it contributes very little money to the overall economy.

Have you ever heard of a Boone and Crockett contest to kill the oldest and sickest? Have you looked at Rustic's trophy avi and his pictures? Even if he or others were willing to kill the weakest, do you really think they ask the animal for identification that proves his age?

As I said earlier, back in the Vietnam era we had a saying - Killing for peace [or conservation] is like fucking for chastity. Same with killing wild animals.
Look up how trophy hunting helps any given game species. Safari club international is a good start.

You really have to lighten up Francis, your emotions are getting the best of you...
Let's not let the foolishness of a bleeding hearts emotions replace facts...

Last edited:
Killing lions = bad

Killing unborn children = ok

Liberal logic on full display!!
Logic does not compute well within the emotion of the bleeding hearts.

The fact is all the lions in the world are not any were near the value of one unborn child...

Priorities need to be set straight...

The death of a beloved lion named Cecil, at the hands of an American hunter in Zimbabwe, struck a nerve around the globe. The debate about the ethics of that hunt still provokes strong emotions. On Wednesday, October 7th, MSNBC will focus on another side of the industry, the legal side. Blood Lions, a one hour documentary, takes viewers inside the seldom seen world of the “canned hunting” industry in South Africa.

With the help of Ian Michler, safari operator and environmental journalist and Rick Swazey, an American hunter, viewers will see inside the breeding farms where lions are bred for a variety of exploitative revenue streams.

“Our film is an exposé,” says Blood Lions director Bruce Young, “most of the lions exist in appalling conditions, exploited at every stage of their lives. Even the people in South Africa do not know that lions are being bred for the bullet – and that it is totally legal. We want to show the world what is going on, who is involved, the impact on the animals and how much money is being generated by this industry.”

blood_lions_captive_vs_wild_hunt_403x403_090215_v2.jpg

Also known as captive bred lion hunting, canned hunts allow hunters to select their lion ahead of time and complete a hunt in a matter of just three days. Canned hunts provide a cheaper, faster, and a surefire way of hunting predatory animals, compared to wild lion hunts which may last weeks with a much lower probability of success. Americans are largely fueling the industry, with 62% of the trophies being imported into the United States, according to Humane Society International.

The documentary includes the perspective of both proponents of this practice who say that hunting helps preserve Africa’s lion population and conservationists who are quick to dispute that claim.

Catch the premiere of Blood Lions, Wednesday October 7th at 10pm ET on MSNBC.

"Blood Lions" premieres Wednesday October 7th on MSNBC

Blood Lions™ - A Call to Stop Canned Lion Hunting

Canned hunting is very dishonorable to the hunter and to the prey. Actually, canned hunting is not hunting - it's just killing, much like in a slaughterhouse.
The show gave great coverage of the canned hunt industry.
What chicken shit rich guys who pay big money to shoot a caged animal.

The death of a beloved lion named Cecil, at the hands of an American hunter in Zimbabwe, struck a nerve around the globe. The debate about the ethics of that hunt still provokes strong emotions. On Wednesday, October 7th, MSNBC will focus on another side of the industry, the legal side. Blood Lions, a one hour documentary, takes viewers inside the seldom seen world of the “canned hunting” industry in South Africa.

With the help of Ian Michler, safari operator and environmental journalist and Rick Swazey, an American hunter, viewers will see inside the breeding farms where lions are bred for a variety of exploitative revenue streams.

“Our film is an exposé,” says Blood Lions director Bruce Young, “most of the lions exist in appalling conditions, exploited at every stage of their lives. Even the people in South Africa do not know that lions are being bred for the bullet – and that it is totally legal. We want to show the world what is going on, who is involved, the impact on the animals and how much money is being generated by this industry.”

Also known as captive bred lion hunting, canned hunts allow hunters to select their lion ahead of time and complete a hunt in a matter of just three days. Canned hunts provide a cheaper, faster, and a surefire way of hunting predatory animals, compared to wild lion hunts which may last weeks with a much lower probability of success. Americans are largely fueling the industry, with 62% of the trophies being imported into the United States, according to Humane Society International.

The documentary includes the perspective of both proponents of this practice who say that hunting helps preserve Africa’s lion population and conservationists who are quick to dispute that claim.

Canned hunting is very dishonorable to the hunter and to the prey. Actually, canned hunting is not hunting - it's just killing, much like in a slaughterhouse.

Wha dya want hunters to do instead? Hunt free roaming wild lions? They might get hurt, killed, or eaten! ;) Not like they're brave white hunters or anything. They're rich chickenshits who only "hunt" animals confined to tiny caged-in areas where the animal can barely turn around let alone avoid or attack them.

My stepdad (who's gone) had a polar bear skin in his den. He hunted and killed it in Alaska way back and I gave him no end of teasing grief asking if they charged extra to catch and cage it then sedate it before he shot it. He didn't laugh. ;)

humans dont need to kill animals, period, esp. wild ones for trophies or "sport". It has nothing to do with conservation. And everything to do with ego.

In your brain dead personal opinion, jack ass. And that is nada to any rational person.

Go fuck yourself.

humans dont need meat asshole. Have you ever watched what these animals go through to end up on your table? I think not because you only give a shit about yourself.

We evolved eating meat, stupid twit. Ever notice the canines in your mouth, dullard?

This always cracks me up.

Humans do not have long sharp carnivores' canines that are used to pierce and hold on to a prey animal. They have the grinding teeth, used to chew vegetable matter.

Strong saliva that starts the digestion while we chew. Carnivores tear off chunks and chew very little.

Long intestines to get the nutrition out of grasses and seeds as opposed to the short carnivore's in order to pass rotting meat quickly through the system. Eating meat and the long time it takes to process is why we have colon cancer.
Ever get sick of your bleeding heart??

Nuddly has a bleeding heart and a dysfunctional cerebral cortex.

Bullshit. The media hasn't done a fair and balanced report on hunting in 40 years unless it was paid for by the NRA or some other pro-gun group.

They breed and raise those lions in captivity, and they could never survive in the wild.
Among other things, they take the babies from their mothers when a few days old which causes the mother to go into estrus soon after. It wears out the females.

It's legal... As it should be. Those lions are property of the organizations putting the hunts on. They're selling a service...

DEAL WITH IT

It's a service like any other...
Deal with it

Forum List

Back