Blood Lions: A Call to Stop Canned Lion Hunting

The death of a beloved lion named Cecil, at the hands of an American hunter in Zimbabwe, struck a nerve around the globe. The debate about the ethics of that hunt still provokes strong emotions. On Wednesday, October 7th, MSNBC will focus on another side of the industry, the legal side. Blood Lions, a one hour documentary, takes viewers inside the seldom seen world of the “canned hunting” industry in South Africa.

With the help of Ian Michler, safari operator and environmental journalist and Rick Swazey, an American hunter, viewers will see inside the breeding farms where lions are bred for a variety of exploitative revenue streams.

“Our film is an exposé,” says Blood Lions director Bruce Young, “most of the lions exist in appalling conditions, exploited at every stage of their lives. Even the people in South Africa do not know that lions are being bred for the bullet – and that it is totally legal. We want to show the world what is going on, who is involved, the impact on the animals and how much money is being generated by this industry.”

blood_lions_captive_vs_wild_hunt_403x403_090215_v2.jpg

Also known as captive bred lion hunting, canned hunts allow hunters to select their lion ahead of time and complete a hunt in a matter of just three days. Canned hunts provide a cheaper, faster, and a surefire way of hunting predatory animals, compared to wild lion hunts which may last weeks with a much lower probability of success. Americans are largely fueling the industry, with 62% of the trophies being imported into the United States, according to Humane Society International.

The documentary includes the perspective of both proponents of this practice who say that hunting helps preserve Africa’s lion population and conservationists who are quick to dispute that claim.

Catch the premiere of Blood Lions, Wednesday October 7th at 10pm ET on MSNBC.

"Blood Lions" premieres Wednesday October 7th on MSNBC

Blood Lions™ - A Call to Stop Canned Lion Hunting

Canned hunting is very dishonorable to the hunter and to the prey. Actually, canned hunting is not hunting - it's just killing, much like in a slaughterhouse.
Not that I am for canned hunts but why is it that so many so called Americans are bitching about this when they have canned hunts all over America?
I don't hunt canned hunts... I hunt fair chase on public land with not fences . But, I don't want to deny someone a hunting experience if they want to pay for a canned hunt... They do have a right to that.

This is almost like clubbing baby seals.

That is wrong, if you must take them for fur, a bullet in the head stops the pain!

Do you ever think about what you write?

Yes, Fugly, I use common sense and reasoning, you, and your cohorts use EMOTIONS only.... Part of the difference between liberal and conservative!

Yeah, NaziCons are so brave and bloodthirsty. I guess that's why they're too chickenshit to take a shit without having a gun within reach.

They're scared to go to the grocery store without putting their penis gun in a holster first.

Vigilante says I and others have posted only emotion and yet, every one of my posts has been factual while his and "Rustic" the trophy hunter has been all about emotion.

I am not a leftward or a bleeding heart progressive

That doesn't mean that I don't love and care for all animal life!

Shame on all of you!
There is no great number of canned hunts in Africa... By far most animals killed in Africa are for bush meat.
These shows are playing to the emotions of the candy a$$es... These shows are like reality shows... Not an once of truth to them.

Don't believe these a$$ hats...

Actually, Africa and other countries make much more money from photo safaris.

Most canned hunts in the US are in Texasss and feed no one.
Wrong, most meat from these hunting reserves go to locals and/or hunters for the hungry programs.
Don't be a dolt.
No blue nose (chronic wasting or Epizootic hemorrhagic disease) in Texas the deer populations?

That too has been caused and exacerbated by hunting and hunters.
It's caused by GMO fields. One of Monsanto's scientist came out with a report on that issue (as he warned of it when they were testing the shit in their labs) but you won't get any reporters looking into it much.

Last edited:

Shame on all of you!
There is no great number of canned hunts in Africa... By far most animals killed in Africa are for bush meat.
These shows are playing to the emotions of the candy a$$es... These shows are like reality shows... Not an once of truth to them.

Is that a deer head you have on your avatar Rustic?
Sad.
Yes, it is I hunt for grouse, mule deer, whitetail deer, mountain lion, elk, bobcat, among many others every year.
It is one of the great joys in life for me and my kids(yes two girls) it's wonderful life experience.

I'm sure it is for you.

But not for those poor animals.
I look at it as every animal that I harvest was put there for me or my family for me to take and use.
By the way I use what I hunt, hunting is the best way to cull the old and weak in any given animal population.
Plus it's good for the economy.

Shame on all of you!

Sad.
Yes, it is I hunt for grouse, mule deer, whitetail deer, mountain lion, elk, bobcat, among many others every year.
It is one of the great joys in life for me and my kids(yes two girls) it's wonderful life experience.

I'm sure it is for you.

I look at it as every animal that I harvest was put there for me or my family for me to take and use.
By the way I use what I hunt, hunting is the best way to cull the old and weak in any given animal population.

you don't get your food in the supermarket?

Shame on all of you!

Sad.

I'm sure it is for you.

Gee, you sound so honorable.

This is almost like clubbing baby seals.

That is wrong, if you must take them for fur, a bullet in the head stops the pain!

Yes, Fugly, I use common sense and reasoning, you, and your cohorts use EMOTIONS only.... Part of the difference between liberal and conservative!

Yeah, NaziCons are so brave and bloodthirsty. I guess that's why they're too chickenshit to take a shit without having a gun within reach.

They're scared to go to the grocery store without putting their penis gun in a holster first.

Vigilante says I and others have posted only emotion and yet, every one of my posts has been factual while his and "Rustic" the trophy hunter has been all about emotion.

Shame on all of you!

Wrong, most meat from these hunting reserves go to locals and/or hunters for the hungry programs.
Don't be a dolt.
No blue nose (chronic wasting or Epizootic hemorrhagic disease) in Texas the deer populations?

Your full of sh!t no correlation what so ever... We're is your proof?!?!

Sad.

I'm sure it is for you.

No really don't... Store bought meat is too full of steroids and hormones for my liking. The feed lots use these to put weight on the stock.

Last edited:
Sad.

I'm sure it is for you.

No really don't... Store bought meat is too full of steroids and hormones for my liking. The feed lots use these put weight on the stock.

why don't you become a semi-vegetarian like me?

I only eat fish and seafood and chicken :biggrin:

Ban hunting.

Period.

BAN IT.
You have to look past your short sightedness on that view point... I prefer to kill my own food than to pay someone else to do it.

Don't be a dolt.

Your full of sh!t no correlation what so ever... We're is your proof?!?!
Luddly Neddite, most likely won't have anything, he/she likes to make things up.

I'm sure it is for you.

No really don't... Store bought meat is too full of steroids and hormones for my liking. The feed lots use these put weight on the stock.

Those still have to be killed... Like I said I would rather do that myself, than pay someone else to do it by buying it in a store.

Last edited:
I'm sure it is for you.

Those still have to be killed... Like I said I would rather do that myself, than pay someone else to do by buying it in a store.

why do you like killing so much Rustic? :cry:

Those still have to be killed... Like I said I would rather do that myself, than pay someone else to do by buying it in a store.

It's not the killing it's the chase and being self sustaining and using what I harvest.
Like said it is one of the great joys in my life.
My culture has been doing it for centuries and it's still the same, plus you can't beat fresh venison.

Do not hunt animals

Hunt among yourselves...how about that?

I have no problem with that.

Leave animal life alone!
I hope your kidding??

I wish you would harvest each other.

On the face of it, I don't disagree with hunting. But, the fact of it is a horror. Hunters do terrible damage to natural populations, they leave their damn beer cans and trash everywhere they go - do they ALL drink Bud lite?

Vigilante - you are wrong that deer starve if they're not hunted. Deer are often used as the poster child for wildlife mgmt but in fact, its a natural disaster and the biggest failure of wildlife management in our history. Hunters almost wiped them out before the govt started "regulating" their slaughter. That management has been so completely screwed up that deer are now considered vermin in some areas.

In order to give hunters their target practice, deer are "managed" to cause more breeding, more fawns, more death by starvation. But, if there are so many deer that they have to be culled, why does your govt pay deer farms to breed more? Google deer farms.

There is much more to hunting than deer though. By far and away, most of the killing is of birds.

But there's good news: hunting is becoming less and less popular. The last figure I knew was that only about 6% of the population hunts. This does not mean than 94% are against hunting. It just means that's the number of permits sold. There are also poachers but I have less problem with subsistence poaching a deer a year to feed one's family, than slob hunters.

Don't believe hunters when they tell you they are "conservationists" either. They contribute but not as much as Saturday afternoon plunkers. When they talk about how they conserve, they're really talking about the Pittman–Robertson Act which started out being a good idea but, of course, has been totally wreaked.

As we used to say during the Vietnam era, killing for conservation is like fucking for chastity.

Yep - I wish they'd harvest each other.
Your stereotyping...
What can I say I really like hunting... Every part of it.
No apologies.

It's not the killing it's the chase and being self sustaining and using what I harvest.
My culture has been doing it for centuries and it's still the same, plus you can't beat fresh venison.

great joys in life huh?

to kill .... and to chase poor animals who love life as much as you do.

I guess I have nothing more to say to you.

Don't be a dolt.

It's caused by GMO fields. One of Monsanto's scientist came out with a report on that issue (as he warned of it when they were testing the shit in their labs) but you won't get any reporters looking into it much.
Hearsay...

great joys in life huh?

to kill .... and to chase poor animals who love life as much as you do.

I guess I have nothing more to say to you.
To each his own...

Don't be a dolt.

Hearsay...
Actually there is enough scientific information online to search the health issues of the GM products, the abnormal prion proteins and make the connections online if you look at it all. Personal choice.

Don't be a dolt.

Hearsay...
Actually there is enough scientific information online to search the health issues of the GM products, the abnormal prion proteins and make the connections online if you look at it all. Personal choice.
So, your say hunting causes disease like bluetougue??

Forum List

Back