Blaspheming the Holy Spirit is the only unforgivable sin? What is it?

Blaspheming the Holy Spirit is the only unforgivable sin. What is it?

I looked up Judas, and this led to links asking if Judas blasphemed the Holy Spirit when he betrayed Jesus.

That misses the point entirely.

Judas did not blaspheme the Holy Spirit when he betrayed Jesus. For that, he could have simply gone to Jesus and been forgiven. Jesus forgave all the other men who participated in his crucifixion, so Judas could easily have been forgiven.

But Judas despaired. He did not believe he could be forgiven, so he did not seek forgiveness, instead he killed himself. In despair and suicide, Judas blasphemed the Holy Spirit.

Another way to blaspheme the Holy Spirit is to live in a state of sin, and refuse to repent.

That is why Catholics who divorce and remarry cannot receive Communion. They are living in a state of sin, and they are refusing to repent from that sin, and therefore cannot go to confession and make their souls proper vessels to receive Communion.

Those who steal cannot receive forgiveness until they return what they have stolen. A thief who refuses what he has stolen is blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

I'm not sure about this, but I think a murderer who refuses to turn himself into the police for punishment could also not be forgiven and would be blaspheming the Holy Spirit while he evades justice.

A homosexual couple who gets a state-sanctioned married could not go to a Catholic Church and receive Communion, nor could they get forgiveness while they live together as a couple. This is another example of blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

A woman who refuses to repent an abortion is blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

Anyone who commits suicide while in a state of sin is blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

Anyone who despairs, and thinks that what they have done is so wrong that God will not forgive them, and therefore refuses to repent, is blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

So a Nazi who realizes that what he has done is horrible and sinful, but then hangs himself in his cell without making a confession, would be blaspheming the Holy Spirit.
Judas did indeed blaspheme against God, against Jesus, and against the Holy Spirit when he betrayed Jesus to the Temple Priests and Guards.

What makes you think Judas did not ???

Blackrook does not under the atonement or Matthew 6:12.
BR has not yet even made his case with any documentation therefore you are out of order to begin providing documentation of your own to the contrary.Until BR substantiates his point it is merely hear/say gossip.
Since he has not demonstrated any understanding or given scripture, I am absolutely in order to correct him, and you, for that matter. Now if you wish to provide your own evidence, go right ahead.
Leave me out of this.

He has committed hear/say gossip.

You have committed irregular debate procedure.
I have corrected you for stepping in with an opinion and then acting out of order by correcting another when all that was given is opinion. You were not thinking logically.

You must not have done well in logic and debate.
Such a funny frat boy you are you are indeed.

This may help you.

grahams_hierarchy_of_disagreement-en-svg (1).png

Usually, I haul out all my sources, but today I lost my cellphone and along with it two very good leads on new clients who might have given me lots of money, so I'm in a bad mood and didn't feel like putting in the usual effort.

But before you accuse me of making stuff up, you should really do your own research. I never post anything on this forum unless I know it's true, and 99% of the time I back it up with a citation, you just caught me on that 1% of the time when I didn't.

I leave you to ponder the atonement and Matthew 6:12.

Consider "reciprocity" as an essential element of forgiveness.

Summary:

1 - According to the Catholic Pope the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit today is the failure to acknowledge your own sin as sin and omitting confession of them to a Priest.

2 - According to the Protestants the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost today is the failure to embrace faith but rather to purposefully remain in ignorance of Christ.

According to both of the above the ancient blasphemy against the Holy Spirit/Ghost consists of denying that Jesus was the Christ and operated miracles by the power of God The Father In Heaven -- a sin which we today cannot commit because Christ is not with us face to face.

I didn't just make that shit up, which is what you implied.
When you do not cite your support it is merely hear/say gossip.
Which you did initially.
I was just getting started frat boy. Give me a chance to properly refute the hear/say gossip. That is step 1. Then allow me to provide authoritative back up to fill the vacuum, which is step 2. My analysis and refutation then becomes step 3. And my conclusion step 4.

Didn't you ever do any NCAA debate in college ??

Apparently not huh !?

I looked up Judas, and this led to links asking if Judas blasphemed the Holy Spirit when he betrayed Jesus.

Judas did not blaspheme the Holy Spirit when he betrayed Jesus. For that, he could have simply gone to Jesus and been forgiven. Jesus forgave all the other men who participated in his crucifixion, so Judas could easily have been forgiven.

But Judas despaired. He did not believe he could be forgiven, so he did not seek forgiveness, instead he killed himself. In despair and suicide, Judas blasphemed the Holy Spirit.

Another way to blaspheme the Holy Spirit is to live in a state of sin, and refuse to repent.

That is why Catholics who divorce and remarry cannot receive Communion. They are living in a state of sin, and they are refusing to repent from that sin, and therefore cannot go to confession and make their souls proper vessels to receive Communion.

Those who steal cannot receive forgiveness until they return what they have stolen. A thief who refuses what he has stolen is blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

I'm not sure about this, but I think a murderer who refuses to turn himself into the police for punishment could also not be forgiven and would be blaspheming the Holy Spirit while he evades justice.

A homosexual couple who gets a state-sanctioned married could not go to a Catholic Church and receive Communion, nor could they get forgiveness while they live together as a couple. This is another example of blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

Anyone who commits suicide while in a state of sin is blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

Anyone who despairs, and thinks that what they have done is so wrong that God will not forgive them, and therefore refuses to repent, is blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

So a Nazi who realizes that what he has done is horrible and sinful, but then hangs himself in his cell without making a confession, would be blaspheming the Holy Spirit.
Judas did indeed blaspheme against God, against Jesus, and against the Holy Spirit when he betrayed Jesus to the Temple Priests and Guards.

His blasphemy against the Father and the Son could have been forgiven. All he had to do was go to the cross of the crucified Lord and ask.

But Judas despaired, thinking his sin was too grave to be forgiven. Instead of asking Jesus to forgive him, he killed himself.

Despair of being forgiven is one way to blaspheme the Holy Spirit.

Being too proud or hard-hearted to seek forgiveness is another way to blaspheme the Holy Spirit.

Another way to blaspheme the Holy Spirit is to carelessly go through life piling up your sins but counting on the mercy of God to make it all okay, without ever approaching God and asking for forgiveness. Many, many Christians are guilty of that kind of carelessness, perhaps most.

The modern day Catholic, who uses birth control and supports legal abortion, and has no problem with gay marriage, is carelessly filling up his soul with sins and not doing anything to expunge them. Our priests, who are allowing this to happen, will be held accountable for all the souls they are losing.

If anybody wants to chime in with the Greek Orthodox view on all of this then feel free.

I am no expert at Greek Orthodox doctrine/dogma other than to point out they are a 1054 schism from the Roman Catholic Church.

But they do have some cool ideas sometimes.

Their church calendar however is all screwed up. Thus they get all the holy day dates wrong.

They did not follow Pope Gregory's reformations.

His blasphemy against the Father and the Son could have been forgiven. All he had to do was go to the cross of the crucified Lord and ask.

But Judas despaired, thinking his sin was too grave to be forgiven. Instead of asking Jesus to forgive him, he killed himself.

Despair of being forgiven is one way to blaspheme the Holy Spirit.

Being too proud or hard-hearted to seek forgiveness is another way to blaspheme the Holy Spirit.

Another way to blaspheme the Holy Spirit is to carelessly go through life piling up your sins but counting on the mercy of God to make it all okay, without ever approaching God and asking for forgiveness. Many, many Christians are guilty of that kind of carelessness, perhaps most.

The modern day Catholic, who uses birth control and supports legal abortion, and has no problem with gay marriage, is carelessly filling up his soul with sins and not doing anything to expunge them. Our priests, who are allowing this to happen, will be held accountable for all the souls they are losing.
Not according to Jesus.

But possibly according to the Pope.

I don't think Protestants cover this either way though.

And I don't know what Eastern Orthodox teach about it.

Jesus forgave the Roman soldiers for his crucifixion. Not the Sanhedrin nor Jerusalem for it.

After 70 years Jerusalem and every man, woman, and child in it was slain by the Romans.

The western Roman Empire prospered for another 400 years.

The eastern Roman Empire (of Constantine) prospered for another 1400 years.

Summary:

1 - According to the Catholic Pope the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit today is the failure to acknowledge your own sin as sin and omitting confession of them to a Priest.

2 - According to the Protestants the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost today is the failure to embrace faith but rather to purposefully remain in ignorance of Christ.

According to both of the above the ancient blasphemy against the Holy Spirit/Ghost consists of denying that Jesus was the Christ and operated miracles by the power of God The Father In Heaven -- a sin which we today cannot commit because Christ is not with us face to face.
There are many variations of blaspheming against the Holy Spirit, and I don't know all of them.

Knowingly staying in a state of mortal sin, and not doing anything to get out it, is just one example.

This doctrine explains a lot: why divorced and remarried Catholics cannot accept Communion, why suicides are traditionally thought to go to hell, why people who carelessly live their lives in a state of sin and then die without a good confession go to hell, etc.

I think the story of the Bible indicates that a man who sees a miracle that proves the existence of God, but then refuses to change his life, may also be guilty of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. It's the basic concept that one has knowledge that one is not in a state of grace, and then refuses to repent.

I'm sure there were people who were at Fatima, who saw the sun spinning around, and dipping up and down in the sky, and for a few days they prayed really hard, but eventually got back to their normal lives and forgot all about it. These are the seeds that fell on the pathway, and were quickly gobbled up by the birds.

BR has not yet even made his case with any documentation therefore you are out of order to begin providing documentation of your own to the contrary.Until BR substantiates his point it is merely hear/say gossip.
Since he has not demonstrated any understanding or given scripture, I am absolutely in order to correct him, and you, for that matter. Now if you wish to provide your own evidence, go right ahead.
YOu cannot correct with argument or debate until you provide evidence of fact first. Seems to me that you rushed into your rebuttal way too fast.

Jesus forgave the Roman soldiers for his crucifixion. Not the Sanhedrin nor Jerusalem for it.

After 70 years Jerusalem and every man, woman, and child in it was slain by the Romans.

The western Roman Empire prospered for another 400 years.

The eastern Roman Empire (of Constantine) prospered for another 1400 years.
No, you are wrong on so many levels. How do I begin?

YOu cannot correct with argument or debate until you provide evidence of fact first. Seems to me that you rushed into your rebuttal way too fast.
Usually, I play by all these rules, but today I lost my cellphone and a lot of money and I'm not in the mood.

Summary:

There are many variations of blaspheming against the Holy Spirit, and I don't know all of them.

Knowingly staying in a state of mortal sin, and not doing anything to get out it, is just one example.

This doctrine explains a lot: why divorced and remarried Catholics cannot accept Communion, why suicides are traditionally thought to go to hell, why people who carelessly live their lives in a state of sin and then die without a good confession go to hell, etc.

I think the story of the Bible indicates that a man who sees a miracle that proves the existence of God, but then refuses to change his life, may also be guilty of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. It's the basic concept that one has knowledge that one is not in a state of grace, and then refuses to repent.

I'm sure there were people who were at Fatima, who saw the sun spinning around, and dipping up and down in the sky, and for a few days they prayed really hard, but eventually got back to their normal lives and forgot all about it. These are the seeds that fell on the pathway, and were quickly gobbled up by the birds.
There are always at least 3 versions of everything in Christianity -- yes -- the Catholic, the Protestant, and the Eastern Orthodox. If you want to add Quaker and Mormon that's 5.

I usually count the Bible itself as 2 separate pieces, since it was not written as a completely book by the hand of God reaching down from Heaven and with quill and ink writing it in English cover to cover. So that makes 7.

The Pharisees witnessed Jesus working miracles, along with everybody else. They couldn't publicly deny His ability, so they credited His supernatural power to Satan instead of the Holy Spirit. It was sacrilege. It was blasphemy.
The offense isn't something that most need to worry about committing.

Other than insulting the Holy Spirit, your Father loves you enough to forgive anything you do, and then wipe it from His memory. It is a good investment for your future. Christ is the conduit. Make the connection today.

Usually, I play by all these rules, but today I lost my cellphone and a lot of money and I'm not in the mood.
Ok sorry. Hope you feel better.

I misplaced my cell phone once and it took several months to have it returned again.

It fell out of my pocket into a friend's car and he did not find it until he washed and vacuumed it out.

By then I had already bought a new one.

Forum List

Back