Black Teenager With White Family Pepper-Sprayed By Police For Entering His Own Home! (VIDEO)

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
http://abc11.com/340724/

FUQUAY-VARINA, N.C. (WTVD) --
The parents of a Wake County high school student are outraged that police pepper-sprayed him inside their home after a neighbor mistook him for an intruder.

It happened Monday afternoon on England Avenue in Fuquay-Varina.

Click here to view the police incident report (.pdf)

Ricky and Stacy Tyler have fostered 18-year-old DeShawn Currie for about a year. The Tylers, their three young children and DeShawn moved to Fuquay-Varina in July. They said while they're still getting to know their neighbors, it's hurtful someone would assume DeShawn was a burglar just for going about his normal routine of walking home after school.

"He's my baby boy just as much as my other three children are," said Stacy.

She left the side door to their home unlocked Monday for DeShawn, who was coming home early from school.

Fuquay-Varina police said when a neighbor saw DeShawn walk in; they called 911 to report a break-in. Soon, three officers were inside the house, all to DeShawn's surprise.

"They was like, 'Put your hands on the door,'" said DeShawn. "I was like, 'For what? This is my house.' I was like, 'Why are y'all in here?'"

DeShawn said he became angry when officers pointed out the pictures of the Tyler's three younger children on the mantle, assuming he didn't belong there. An argument ensued and DeShawn said one of the officers pepper-sprayed him in the face.

By the time Stacy came home, EMS were treating DeShawn in the driveway. She cleared up the confusion with the officers, but not with the rest of her family.

"My 5-year-old last night, she looked at me and said, 'Mama I don't understand why they hated our brother, and they had to come in and hurt him.'"

"Everything that we've worked so hard for in the past years was stripped away yesterday in just a matter of moments," said Ricky Tyler.

DeShawn said he chose this family with a hope of security and love, but now he's not sure if he'll ever be able to move on.

"I'm feeling comfortable," explained DeShawn. "I had moved into my room, and I'm feeling like I'm loved. And then when they come in and they just profile me and say that I'm not who I am. And that I do not stay here because there was white kids on the wall, that really made me mad."

Fuquay-Varina police released a statement Monday saying officers responded to a report of suspicious criminal activity at the Tyler's home.

Officers said DeShawn became threatening and belligerent. When he would not follow the officers' instructions, they pepper-sprayed him.

Police also point out in their statement that the neighborhood where this happened has recently experienced criminal activity.

The Tylers and DeShawn met with Captain Bob Adams with the Fuquay-Varina Police Department Tuesday afternoon for a couple of hours.

No charges have been filed.

Wednesday, Fuquay-Varina police issued a statement about the incident.

Another innocent person/family victimized by this mindless racism.
Believing a burglary was taking place at 308 England Avenue, the Fuquay-Varina Police entered the house, announced their presence twice and met Mr. DeShawn Currie, age 18, walking down the steps. Mr. Currie stated he lived in the home. Police tried to confirm Mr. Currie’s identity by asking for his driver’s license. Mr. Currie produced an identification that did not match the home’s address.

The police officer continued to question Mr. Currie. Mr. Currie became very volatile, profane and threatened physical violence toward the police officer. In an effort to calm Mr. Currie, the police officer asked him several times to have a seat, which he refused. Mr. Currie became increasingly belligerent and profane and the police officer attempted to restrain Mr. Currie with handcuffs to insure the police officer’s and Mr. Currie’s safety. Mr. Currie then struck the police officer’s left arm knocking the handcuffs to the floor.

The police officer then used pepper spray as a non-lethal and measured response to gain control of the situation.
Medical personnel treated and released Mr. Currie at the scene within one (1) hour. No charges were filed.

Seems to me he got what he deserved.

The parents of a Wake County high school student are outraged that police pepper-sprayed him inside their home after a neighbor mistook him for an intruder.

Ricky and Stacy Tyler have fostered 18-year-old DeShawn Currie for about a year. The Tylers, their three young children and DeShawn moved to Fuquay-Varina in July. They said while they're still getting to know their neighbors, it's hurtful someone would assume DeShawn was a burglar just for going about his normal routine of walking home after school.

She left the side door to their home unlocked Monday for DeShawn, who was coming home early from school.

Fuquay-Varina police said when a neighbor saw DeShawn walk in; they called 911 to report a break-in. Soon, three officers were inside the house, all to DeShawn's surprise.

"They was like, 'Put your hands on the door,'" said DeShawn. "I was like, 'For what? This is my house.' I was like, 'Why are y'all in here?'"

DeShawn said he became angry when officers pointed out the pictures of the Tyler's three younger children on the mantle, assuming he didn't belong there. An argument ensued and DeShawn said one of the officers pepper-sprayed him in the face.

By the time Stacy came home, EMS were treating DeShawn in the driveway. She cleared up the confusion with the officers, but not with the rest of her family.

"My 5-year-old last night, she looked at me and said, 'Mama I don't understand why they hated our brother, and they had to come in and hurt him.'"

"Everything that we've worked so hard for in the past years was stripped away yesterday in just a matter of moments," said Ricky Tyler.

DeShawn said he chose this family with a hope of security and love, but now he's not sure if he'll ever be able to move on.

"I'm feeling comfortable," explained DeShawn. "I had moved into my room, and I'm feeling like I'm loved. And then when they come in and they just profile me and say that I'm not who I am. And that I do not stay here because there was white kids on the wall, that really made me mad."

Fuquay-Varina police released a statement Monday saying officers responded to a report of suspicious criminal activity at the Tyler's home.

Officers said DeShawn became threatening and belligerent. When he would not follow the officers' instructions, they pepper-sprayed him.

Police also point out in their statement that the neighborhood where this happened has recently experienced criminal activity.

The Tylers and DeShawn met with Captain Bob Adams with the Fuquay-Varina Police Department Tuesday afternoon for a couple of hours.

Can an 18 year old be adopted or even fostered? Sounds like a load of hogwash to me.

Back in the 80,s Fuquay was a small town peaceful for the most aprt low crime. We returned last year for a visit and the place had grown beyond recognition.To label this automatically racist would be wrong at this point.

How could he live there, but the neighbors didn't know?

And here we are. PROOF of what I accused you of in yesterdays thread. Race baiting racist.
Just like I said in that thread, this is your history on USMB.

The police made did a good job of making sure all of their stories jived with each other on the report. See: pdf file.

So, here the police assume automatically that because a person is black, that he is breaking and entering. Fascinating.

Now, the young man may indeed have been belligerent, but I doubt that he said all those things. It is far more likely that once that young man's foster mother came home, that the police realized how badly they fucked-up and decided to make sure the police report was unified in terms of testimony.

That being said, the young man probably did behave in a dumb way. He could have invited the police officers to see his bedroom, with all of his personal stuff. He could have called his foster mom and asked her to speak with the police right then and there. He was probably too indignant,too shocked and too hurt to have thought this through. His bad, but then again, he is a kid.

The real problem is the neighbor (who called 911) who lives EXACTLY across the street from that family. If you look at the police report and input both addresses into google maps, you will see that the two addresses are exactly across from each other. Unless that older neighbor has been gone for months on end, there is no way he could not have noticed that young black man now living across the street for the last 4 months. That neighbor is male and 51 years old.

NC racist incident (Medium).png

So, I suspect there is much more to this story than just the police responding to a 911 call, which they are required to do. I suspect very strongly that the neighbor had a strongl motivation to call 911 for whatever reason, that he already knew that young man.

OH, and for people just itching to bitch about data-mining or so, the .pdf is a public report.

Last edited:

So, the black kid became angry, refused to cooperate with police, battered an officer, got pepper sprayed and the cop is a racist?

Could three officers have handled one black teenager without pepper spray? Yes, if they were allowed to get physical, which they aren't.

You liberals are morons. You know what will probably happen here? The local police department will remove pepper spray from the officer's tool box and the next black kid will be shot to death

How about this from now on.

If you are black, or have a black in your home, simply hang up a sign in your yard that says "we refuse all emergency response assistance"

Then you don't have to worry about the cops coming in your home and being racist, unless of course you or the black in your home commits a crime ( a statistical probability)

Believing a burglary was taking place at 308 England Avenue, the Fuquay-Varina Police entered the house, announced their presence twice and met Mr. DeShawn Currie, age 18, walking down the steps. Mr. Currie stated he lived in the home. Police tried to confirm Mr. Currie’s identity by asking for his driver’s license. Mr. Currie produced an identification that did not match the home’s address.

The police officer continued to question Mr. Currie. Mr. Currie became very volatile, profane and threatened physical violence toward the police officer. In an effort to calm Mr. Currie, the police officer asked him several times to have a seat, which he refused. Mr. Currie became increasingly belligerent and profane and the police officer attempted to restrain Mr. Currie with handcuffs to insure the police officer’s and Mr. Currie’s safety. Mr. Currie then struck the police officer’s left arm knocking the handcuffs to the floor.

The police officer then used pepper spray as a non-lethal and measured response to gain control of the situation.
Medical personnel treated and released Mr. Currie at the scene within one (1) hour. No charges were filed.

Any excuse will do right? I mean how could he be upset at someone bursting into his house asking for proof he lives there? Most people when police bust into their home are quite happy about it.

Any excuse will do right? I mean how could he be upset at someone bursting into his house asking for proof he lives there? Most people when police bust into their home are quite happy about it.
Smart people cooperate with the police.

Can an 18 year old be adopted or even fostered? Sounds like a load of hogwash to me.

The family is obviously making it up and moved in the black burglar just for camera time

And here we are. PROOF of what I accused you of in yesterdays thread. Race baiting racist.

Yeah the problem is that you scream racist even when I was defending a white person being stopped by the Police One Trick Pony. So of course its no surprise you are back again performing your one trick again today.

The problem is that YOU said I was a racist for defending a white person...Now you are calling me a racist for defending a black person.

Yeah the problem is that you scream racist even when I was defending a white person being stopped by the Police One Trick Pony. So of course its no surprise you are back again performing your one trick again today.

The problem is that YOU said I was a racist for defending a white person...Now you are calling me a racist for defending a black person.
No I called you racist and or a race baitor because RACE IS ALL YOU FOCUS ON.

So, the black kid became angry, refused to cooperate with police, battered an officer, got pepper sprayed and the cop is a racist?

You skipped some steps. The kid was going home...someone called the police on him for walking home....the Police busts into his home asking who HE is. Once he told them they didnt believe him because he was black and the family was white.

Now whatever you want to call that I'd be curious why you think the police were called in the first place simply by walking.

Could three officers have handled one black teenager without pepper spray? Yes, if they were allowed to get physical, which they aren't.

You liberals are morons. You know what will probably happen here? The local police department will remove pepper spray from the officer's tool box and the next black kid will be shot to death

Or how about....Not immediately turning to violence? Too much to ask? Or how about...When its three on one the person with the higher number of people assisting....ahh nevermind.

How about this from now on.

If you are black, or have a black in your home, simply hang up a sign in your yard that says "we refuse all emergency response assistance"

Why? Thats just stupid. This isnt about emergency stop assistance. This is you doing that stupid shit again. Someone says "I hate dems have a nice day" and your response will be "Whats wrong with having a nice day?" Acting like you're fooling somebody

Then you don't have to worry about the cops coming in your home and being racist, unless of course you or the black in your home commits a crime ( a statistical probability)

How many people were sprayed at the Bundy Ranch when people had guns focused on the police? Were they following orders? Much different outcome wasnt it?

No I called you racist and or a race baitor because RACE IS ALL YOU FOCUS ON.

Which race? The white guy I defended and you called me racist or the black guy I'm defending and you called me racist?

Forum List

Back