Black Teen Shot in back while Driving

Well, it probably would have taken too much time (and police are notoriously impatient) to get a junker to put in front of the car, and besides..............even if the dude did try to take off, police cars are paid for, as well as supposed to be sturdy, so even if he did run into the car, it probably wouldn't have done that much damage. Would definitely have been less to fix or replace a police vehicle than what the city is gonna face in the form of house repair, and probably a lawsuit from the family.
Why would Police pay anything? They did nothing wrong.

Why would Police pay anything? They did nothing wrong.

Even if the police are performing their duties in a correct manner, if there is collateral damage in the performance of those duties (i.e. a house is ran into, like in the video), the city (and I said city, not police) is responsible for paying for the damage. If the police had parked their vehicle in front of the suspects vehicle, he wouldn't have been able to drive off like he did, because there was a red car directly behind him, he would have been blocked in.

And, even if he did jump out of the vehicle and take off running, there were several other officers surrounding the vehicle that could have stopped him.

Dunno why they chose to sneak up on him from the back seat when it would have been easier (and safer) to block the vehicle in and knock on the window.

And, because the suspect was shot in the back, as well as what the video showed, you can bet that his family is gonna pursue a civil suit, hoping to get money for his death.

And it wrecked somebody’s house. I feel their pain.
Thieves stole my neighbor’s car and they hit and dented my car parked on the street in their getaway.
Wait ‘til his father finds out what he did!
Oh, that’s right. Never mind.
Papa Got Popped

I'm happy for his Baby Mamas, who no longer have to give him most of their AFDC money to feed his drug habit.

Kid had to be on drugs.

Police could have handled this better. They had him out-numbered 3 to 1 and still managed to let him drive off in this car. C’mon man. They should have blocked the path of the car with a police vehicle.

I can’t blame the police officer who shot him. His life was in danger in that position.

Could have been handled better but I’ll give the police the benefit of the doubt on this one. Hindsight is 20/20.

Kid had to be on drugs.

Police could have handled this better. They had him out-numbered 3 to 1 and still managed to let him drive off in this car. C’mon man. They should have blocked the path of the car with a police vehicle.

I can’t blame the police officer who shot him. His life was in danger in that position.

Could have been handled better but I’ll give the police the benefit of the doubt on this one. Hindsight is 20/20.

You'd think that with all the discussion that they had amongst themselves, trying to figure out the quietest way to sneak up on him, SOMEONE would have said "why not just block him in"? I know that's probably the first thing I would have thought of so as to prevent the suspect from running away in the car.

You'd think that with all the discussion that they had amongst themselves, trying to figure out the quietest way to sneak up on him, SOMEONE would have said "why not just block him in"? I know that's probably the first thing I would have thought of so as to prevent the suspect from running away in the car.
Same.

The policeman announced himself while he was asleep. Comply with who?

Even if the police are performing their duties in a correct manner, if there is collateral damage in the performance of those duties (i.e. a house is ran into, like in the video), the city (and I said city, not police) is responsible for paying for the damage. If the police had parked their vehicle in front of the suspects vehicle, he wouldn't have been able to drive off like he did, because there was a red car directly behind him, he would have been blocked in.

And, even if he did jump out of the vehicle and take off running, there were several other officers surrounding the vehicle that could have stopped him.

Dunno why they chose to sneak up on him from the back seat when it would have been easier (and safer) to block the vehicle in and knock on the window.

And, because the suspect was shot in the back, as well as what the video showed, you can bet that his family is gonna pursue a civil suit, hoping to get money for his death.

The criminal would hear the car, wake up and shoot the driver. You want to be the one to try and back it in quietly?

Another suggestion.....drive up fast two sides and pin him in the car. Even smash into the door if that would help.

As i said..there were other options. They know best. Not us.

No, there is absolutely no way he could have known it was the police, since the officer shouted "Police" immediately upon entering the car, before Martin could have awakened (27:05 in the video). You got some unknown man in your back seat that you can't see grabbing at you. Anyone would have panicked and tried to escape.

It was too chaotic for him to notice any police cars behind him. The officer didn't identify himself except that once before Martin was awake, and the officer shot him only 23 seconds after making contact, not giving Martin a chance to figure out what was happening. In other words, he never had a chance.
I wonder if the cop had an orgasm when he fired.

The criminal would hear the car, wake up and shoot the driver. You want to be the one to try and back it in quietly?

Another suggestion.....drive up fast two sides and pin him in the car. Even smash into the door if that would help.

As i said..there were other options. They know best. Not us.

You're not that bright are you? They made more noise getting into the car than what the suspect would have heard from them driving to the front and blocking him off. And, because the driver is on the LEFT side of the car here in America, even if the suspect did wake up and start shooting, the policeman would have had the passenger side door and window, as well as room to duck down to get out of the way of being fired on. You didn't think this response out very well, did you? Sounds like you're just grasping at whatever straw you can to justify this cop shooting the suspect.

And no.........................cops don't know best all of the time. Saw that a couple of times when the base security force in Newport RI (of which I was a member) had training with the civilian police in Newport. We (the Navy base security personnel) totally dominated the civilian police in various competitions.

I was suggesting other options (brainstorming). Rush the car from two sides. Yes you could drive two Police cars fron & back with Cops on foot also nearby. Cops on foot Shoot him if he draws a gun. Problem solved.

Cops know best. You dont.
You're not that bright are you? They made more noise getting into the car than what the suspect would have heard from them driving to the front and blocking him off. And, because the driver is on the LEFT side of the car here in America, even if the suspect did wake up and start shooting, the policeman would have had the passenger side door and window, as well as room to duck down to get out of the way of being fired on. You didn't think this response out very well, did you? Sounds like you're just grasping at whatever straw you can to justify this cop shooting the suspect.

And no.........................cops don't know best all of the time. Saw that a couple of times when the base security force in Newport RI (of which I was a member) had training with the civilian police in Newport. We (the Navy base security personnel) totally dominated the civilian police in various competitions.

Driving with a COP in back seat can be dangerous to your health.
Drag the curser thing up to 24 minute mark as it is a long video.
Where else could you shoot the perp if you have the gun in the back seat of a moving car?
Maybe in the dome? That was a large 17 yr. old?

VIDEO near the ending

Full video below

U.S. Park Police in Washington, D.C., have released a video showing an incident last month in which an officer shot and killed a 17-year-old black male.

The March 18 incident that led to the death of Dalaneo Martin began when police responded to a call of a vehicle that was running.

“Upon arrival, an officer located a vehicle that was occupied and running. The officer observed the occupant of the vehicle was asleep and the ignition was punched. The officer determined the vehicle was stolen and then called for additional units over the radio. Additional MPD officers and two U.S. Park Police officers arrived on scene to assist,” according to a Metropolitan Police Department statement.

The video released by the park police showed bodycam footage of Metropolitan police and Park police discussing how best to remove Martin from the vehicle.

Stupid black kid stole a car and paid the ultimate price.....

Cry me a river. LITERALLY DO NOT CARE

If the police had parked their vehicle in front of the car, the suspect wouldn't have been able to drive away.
Sure .. the police could have done things differently to box the vehicle into place .. yet .. they didn't. This doesn't negate that the vehicle was stolen, a firearm was present and the would-be criminal was asleep in the front seat.

Forum List

Back