"Black" Names

I have written in this space previously that much of Black "inequality" can be reasonably attributed to voluntary behaviors by individual Blacks - mainly bastardy, school drop-out tendency, and petty criminality - and I have recently come upon another one, also a total mystery to me.

It is "common knowledge" in the Black community that having a "Black" name can often lead to, for example, employment applications being discarded, and other similar forms of discrimination. Indeed, I have read some first-person accounts of white people having Black-sounding names (e.g., "Jamal") and experiencing such discrimination "unfairly"(?).

And yet, the trend toward bizarre Christian names among Blacks seems to be increasing as time goes by.

Malik. LaShonda. Trayvon. LaToya. Names with mis-placed capital letters, and apostrophes. I pity the inner-city Kindergarten teacher who must address these children in school for the first time, trying to figure out how to pronounce some of these bizarre names, and to do so without laughing. I have occasionally thought that mothers invent them in the hope that one day the child will be a mega-super-star of one form or another who can be known simply by that first name. Shaquille. OJ. Michael. Et cetera. (Oops. Has anybody used that one?)

But seriously, is this not an utterly stupid thing to do? Why would you - even potentially - saddle your kid with a name that will label him/her as Black, sight unseen, for the rest of his or her life, knowing that it is likely that the name will result in negative discrimination in at least some circumstances? You might as well put a tattoo on your child's forehead saying, "My Mother is an Idiot."

Were I a Black parent, I would go to the other extreme, naming my kid with the most Wasp-ish name I could imagine ("Chatsworth Osborne Smith"), in the hope that it might open a door somewhere in the future. If you want to CALL your kid something more creative, knock yourself out. But to put "D'boneHead" on a Birth Certificate is almost criminally stupid.

This is the OP and from where I sit, this thread should have been put in the rubber room long ago. Had I or any black person made a thread to diss white peoples names, it would have been closed or moved to the rubber room or elsewhere in the badlands or flame zone and the excuse would have been it was a bait thread that wasn't made to elicit a decent debate. Yet this crap thread stays up in here. I don't know who deemed a particular subset of whites arbiters of the way blacks should live, but given the way whites have lived in this country, they need to look internally at their own motherfucking culture instead of trying to diss everyone elses.

Urban blacks are not credited with much education
But they do come up with original names

The best that highly educated whites can come up with are John, James, Theresa, Mary
John, James, Theresa and Mary wont ever carjack anyone.

I've run across a few odd black names here and there and sometimes I can't help but wonder where the fuck they come up with these names. I remember one in particular; a black woman named Kashasta. I shit you not.

On the other hand I can't help but get disgusted with the way white people give their kids fad names. I hate that shit.

Girls get cutesie wootsie names like Brianna or anything with "lynn" tacked on the end of it: Katelynn, Ashlynn, Roselynn, Adalynn, et al. Boys get fad names that are supposed to evoke images of virile, strong and silent cowboy types like Clint Eastwood's Man With No Name: Clint (of course), Cody, Hunter, Tyler, Sage, Dylan, et al.

Every time I come across someone with a name like that I want to slap the parents.

I cringe a bit unless I think that the person's name comes from another culture or language. I wish that people would refrain from using fruit, vegetables, cheeses, as well as "virtues." If you can call a kid "Apple," you can call him or her "Avocado." If you can call a kid "Brie," how about Camembert, Velveeta, Parmesan? If you can call a kid "Chastity" (what was Cher thinking???), "Hope," etc., How about the seven deadly sins?
Yep, and we have made fun of those names for years. Why do you treat black people differently? Why arent you consistent by making fun of the endless moronic black names too?

I have written in this space previously that much of Black "inequality" can be reasonably attributed to voluntary behaviors by individual Blacks - mainly bastardy, school drop-out tendency, and petty criminality - and I have recently come upon another one, also a total mystery to me.

It is "common knowledge" in the Black community that having a "Black" name can often lead to, for example, employment applications being discarded, and other similar forms of discrimination. Indeed, I have read some first-person accounts of white people having Black-sounding names (e.g., "Jamal") and experiencing such discrimination "unfairly"(?).

And yet, the trend toward bizarre Christian names among Blacks seems to be increasing as time goes by.

Malik. LaShonda. Trayvon. LaToya. Names with mis-placed capital letters, and apostrophes. I pity the inner-city Kindergarten teacher who must address these children in school for the first time, trying to figure out how to pronounce some of these bizarre names, and to do so without laughing. I have occasionally thought that mothers invent them in the hope that one day the child will be a mega-super-star of one form or another who can be known simply by that first name. Shaquille. OJ. Michael. Et cetera. (Oops. Has anybody used that one?)

But seriously, is this not an utterly stupid thing to do? Why would you - even potentially - saddle your kid with a name that will label him/her as Black, sight unseen, for the rest of his or her life, knowing that it is likely that the name will result in negative discrimination in at least some circumstances? You might as well put a tattoo on your child's forehead saying, "My Mother is an Idiot."

Were I a Black parent, I would go to the other extreme, naming my kid with the most Wasp-ish name I could imagine ("Chatsworth Osborne Smith"), in the hope that it might open a door somewhere in the future. If you want to CALL your kid something more creative, knock yourself out. But to put "D'boneHead" on a Birth Certificate is almost criminally stupid.

This is the OP and from where I sit, this thread should have been put in the rubber room long ago. Had I or any black person made a thread to diss white peoples names, it would have been closed or moved to the rubber room or elsewhere in the badlands or flame zone and the excuse would have been it was a bait thread that wasn't made to elicit a decent debate. Yet this crap thread stays up in here. I don't know who deemed a particular subset of whites arbiters of the way blacks should live, but given the way whites have lived in this country, they need to look internally at their own motherfucking culture instead of trying to diss everyone elses.
Oh STFU DeShaun!

I've run across a few odd black names here and there and sometimes I can't help but wonder where the fuck they come up with these names. I remember one in particular; a black woman named Kashasta. I shit you not.

On the other hand I can't help but get disgusted with the way white people give their kids fad names. I hate that shit.

Girls get cutesie wootsie names like Brianna or anything with "lynn" tacked on the end of it: Katelynn, Ashlynn, Roselynn, Adalynn, et al. Boys get fad names that are supposed to evoke images of virile, strong and silent cowboy types like Clint Eastwood's Man With No Name: Clint (of course), Cody, Hunter, Tyler, Sage, Dylan, et al.

Every time I come across someone with a name like that I want to slap the parents.

I cringe a bit unless I think that the person's name comes from another culture or language. I wish that people would refrain from using fruit, vegetables, cheeses, as well as "virtues." If you can call a kid "Apple," you can call him or her "Avocado." If you can call a kid "Brie," how about Camembert, Velveeta, Parmesan? If you can call a kid "Chastity" (what was Cher thinking???), "Hope," etc., How about the seven deadly sins?
Yep, and we have made fun of those names for years. Why do you treat black people differently? Why arent you consistent by making fun of the endless moronic black names too?

Why should I? Why should I talk about African-American names specifically? I don't know their origins, whereas Jim-Bob, Joe-Boy, Cliven, Ammon, Elvis, etc. have been hilarious for years. I still love Oral. I once heard "radical" feminist Ti-Grace Atkinson speak. She is from a prominent family in Louisiana. It turns out that "Ti" means "little" in Cajun French, so it's like "junior."

The whole naming thing comes down to POWER.

No white person is concerned with naming their children to please blacks.

Why is that ?

No one is shaming them for their boring names. Anne. Jill. Emily. I

So if black people give their children the whitest names out there like Cody, Connor, Wyatt, Amy, Claire, Katelyn, Molly racism will disappear then. Right ?

Go n ask the family of Mike.Brown, Eric Garner, Freddie Grey if having a so called white name protects you from racism.

Plus a lot of the names people think of as ghetto names are not.

Beyoncé is a French name that nobody would bat any eye at in France.

However because it was attached to a Black singer, many people assumed her parents stayed up late one night stringing syllables together until they came up with it.

Even when you study of the origins of African-American first names. They tend to break into 2 categories

Islamic names like Raheem, Shameeka, Rameesh, Aaliyah and such names.

Black names that seem to be French or pseudo-French like LaTrell, LeWon, DeShawn, Marquis, Antoine, Andre

Bu the sickening irony that underlies this talk about blacks having names acceptable to white people is that it was white people who stripped blacks of their African names and so much else to make them SERVICEABLE for white people.

But if your a white dude and your name was ‘Bubba’ or ‘Jim Bob....no problem.

But a black man being named 'Jamal’ or ‘Lakisha’ is an automatic fail.

Even though Jamal is a masculine Arabic name that means “Beautiful” or “handsome.” It’s pretty widely used in the muslim world that spans a good part of the globe.

The Egyptian President, Gamal Abdel Nasser (1918–1970) is an Egyptian rendering of the name.

The problem is that ppl like u have never even looked to try and understand what that name is, where it comes from, and who bore it.

Lakisha is also an Arabic name, meaning “Alive” or “She who lives.” there is also an English variant, usually spelled “Lakeisha” that means “Joyful.”

But neither name was invented in the ghetto, or somehow put together by illiterates. They are just names from another culture, that lean toward a Muslim asian world view rather than a Western Christian world view. There’s nothing ghetto about it.

Another thing why do white ppl think its cool thing is to make a first name out of a last name ? Like MacKenzie, or Parker ?

And why do white people love giving their children two last names ?

Stuff like Elijah Sadler-Moore. What happens if this guy marries Amy Smith-Taylor ?

Does their kid end up with four last names?

Love 2 c the College Lacrosse and Soccer Jerseys on that one.

Another thing about white ppl n maybe u can answer this.

But why do white ppl like to pretend that they like classical music ?

Apart the song to the Russell Crowe - Gladiator movie. White ppl don't like classical music.

Thats why when a white person encounters another white person who actually REALLY KNOWS classical music (exceptionally rare), it is one of the most traumatic experiences a white person can go through.

Here we have another white person trying to tell blacks what to do. First off, the root cause of the problems we face are rooted in racist beliefs and behavior of whites. Blacks don't need to name our kids as whites tell us to. Whites like the OP need to stop being racists.
Yup... here - - - ^ ^ ^ - - - we have the "root cause of the problems" once again, BLACKS BLAMING WHITE PEOPLE FOR ALL THEIR PROBLEMS.

How utterly pathetic.

You know, your argument would have merit if there was not evidence of laws and policies that support my assertion.
No race on the planet has been more ACCOMMODATED, CODDLED, GIVEN SPECIAL TREATMENT and ALLOWED TO ADVANCE WITHOUT MEETING the LEVELS OF IT'S PEERS than BLACKS. AFFIRMATIVE ACTION being example #1.

Your assertion is a FARCE.
Do you believe your inferior to black men ? If so why do white ppl feel they need a system to prop them ?

Don't you, white man believe you can compete with a black man on an equal footing ?

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

The best that highly educated whites can come up with are John, James, Theresa, Mary

Are you sure?
It seems like a safe bet to me. Carjacking is almost exclusively a black crime. There are exceptions, but they are VERY rare.
Lol, you better go look at the larceny and theft stats boy.

They'll just walk into a car dealership shoot up everyone then take the keys to the car they want.

Thank you for letting me know I started a fad. I knew of ONE person in my entire life that had that first name I gave my daughter. I appreciate that very much!

Years ago, there was a college and professional football player named Sherman Williams. Once, during the game, the sideline reporter asked his Mom about his unusual name, which she replied was after the paint store. The reporter said, "Sherwin-Williams? Mom was standing there in stony silence as reality struck home, when the camera cut away suddenly. Up until that point, Mom had no clue that she had been calling the paint store the wrong name her entire life and misnamed her son.

Oh, and for you Bama fans out there, he was sent to federal prison and served 14 years for drug smuggling after his pro career.

Last edited:

Are you sure?
It seems like a safe bet to me. Carjacking is almost exclusively a black crime. There are exceptions, but they are VERY rare.
There are many worse crimes that John, James, Theresa and Mary have committed?

You believe nobody named John ever hijacked a car?

• Thanks

These are the top American names by race in 2019.

BOYS

Blackest

Darnell
DeAndre
DeShawn
Malik
Marquis
Terrell
Trevon
Tyrone

Whitest

Cody
Connor
Dustin
Jack
Jake
Luke
Tanner
Wyatt

I dont know about you. But the black male names sound more masculine and strong than the white names.

Racism is what makes a black person with a ethic name, “ghetto”.

White people don't flip at Arnold Schwarzenegger or Boris or Wladimirs of this world.

But white people are the majority in America and that means they get to decide, who and what is considered ghetto, criminal and inferior.

But just because white people says a black name is ghetto, doesn’t make it so.

And you know whats really funny ?

Names like Hans, Sven and Wladimir and Boris are actually your names from the Russian, German or various European places your lineage is from.

But whites are forced to give their kids boring, generic names instead of ones denoting their ethnic heritage.

So those cultures, the traditions of Scotland and Ireland and England. have been lost in the name of whiteness.

I mean white Americans calling their kids Anne n Connor and Tyler even though the European country were they're from originally from doesnt have Christian names like that.

So suck it bcoz the European languages, the history, the customs have been lost to you, to a point were you're are grasping at straws.

Whites have been deculturated.

But not by libs or lefties n 4 sure not by blks, you've been deculturated by whiteness.

Maybe I should change my name to “Toby” or "Kunta Kinte" To make white feel more at home.

• Thanks

These are the top American names by race in 2019.

BOYS

Blackest

Darnell
DeAndre
DeShawn
Malik
Marquis
Terrell
Trevon
Tyrone

Whitest

Cody
Connor
Dustin
Jack
Jake
Luke
Tanner
Wyatt

I dont know about you. But the black male names sound more masculine and strong than the white names.

Racism is what makes a black person with a ethic name, “ghetto”.

White people don't flip at Arnold Schwarzenegger or Boris or Wladimirs of this world.

But white people are the majority in America and that means they get to decide, who and what is considered ghetto, criminal and inferior.

But just because white people says a black name is ghetto, doesn’t make it so.

And you know whats really funny ?

Names like Hans, Sven and Wladimir and Boris are actually your names from the Russian, German or various European places your lineage is from.

But whites are forced to give their kids boring, generic names instead of ones denoting their ethnic heritage.

So those cultures, the traditions of Scotland and Ireland and England. have been lost in the name of whiteness.

I mean white Americans calling their kids Anne n Connor and Tyler even though the European country were they're from originally from doesnt have Christian names like that.

So suck it bcoz the European languages, the history, the customs have been lost to you, to a point were you're are grasping at straws.

Whites have been deculturated.

But not by libs or lefties n 4 sure not by blks, you've been deculturated by whiteness.

Maybe I should change my name to “Toby” or "Kunta Kinte" To make white feel more at home.
Did you know that Buckwheat became a muslim when he grew up and changed his name to Kareema Wheat.

The whole naming thing comes down to POWER.

No white person is concerned with naming their children to please blacks.

Why is that ?

No one is shaming them for their boring names. Anne. Jill. Emily. I

So if black people give their children the whitest names out there like Cody, Connor, Wyatt, Amy, Claire, Katelyn, Molly racism will disappear then. Right ?

Go n ask the family of Mike.Brown, Eric Garner, Freddie Grey if having a so called white name protects you from racism.

Plus a lot of the names people think of as ghetto names are not.

Beyoncé is a French name that nobody would bat any eye at in France.

However because it was attached to a Black singer, many people assumed her parents stayed up late one night stringing syllables together until they came up with it.

Even when you study of the origins of African-American first names. They tend to break into 2 categories

Islamic names like Raheem, Shameeka, Rameesh, Aaliyah and such names.

Black names that seem to be French or pseudo-French like LaTrell, LeWon, DeShawn, Marquis, Antoine, Andre

Bu the sickening irony that underlies this talk about blacks having names acceptable to white people is that it was white people who stripped blacks of their African names and so much else to make them SERVICEABLE for white people.

But if your a white dude and your name was ‘Bubba’ or ‘Jim Bob....no problem.

But a black man being named 'Jamal’ or ‘Lakisha’ is an automatic fail.

Even though Jamal is a masculine Arabic name that means “Beautiful” or “handsome.” It’s pretty widely used in the muslim world that spans a good part of the globe.

The Egyptian President, Gamal Abdel Nasser (1918–1970) is an Egyptian rendering of the name.

The problem is that ppl like u have never even looked to try and understand what that name is, where it comes from, and who bore it.

Lakisha is also an Arabic name, meaning “Alive” or “She who lives.” there is also an English variant, usually spelled “Lakeisha” that means “Joyful.”

But neither name was invented in the ghetto, or somehow put together by illiterates. They are just names from another culture, that lean toward a Muslim asian world view rather than a Western Christian world view. There’s nothing ghetto about it.

Another thing why do white ppl think its cool thing is to make a first name out of a last name ? Like MacKenzie, or Parker ?

And why do white people love giving their children two last names ?

Stuff like Elijah Sadler-Moore. What happens if this guy marries Amy Smith-Taylor ?

Does their kid end up with four last names?

Love 2 c the College Lacrosse and Soccer Jerseys on that one.

Another thing about white ppl n maybe u can answer this.

But why do white ppl like to pretend that they like classical music ?

Apart the song to the Russell Crowe - Gladiator movie. White ppl don't like classical music.

Thats why when a white person encounters another white person who actually REALLY KNOWS classical music (exceptionally rare), it is one of the most traumatic experiences a white person can go through.

Know what I call that stuff generally referred to as "classical music"?

"Orchestral/chamber music by dead white European males of the last four centuries".

That's SIX different limiting filters Hardly the stuff deserving of the term "classical" all by itself.

I grew up on it and appreciate it where it's well done but I'm also aware it's a narrow filter of only one type of format from a limited time period from only one continent by only one gender, and that there's WAY more out there once those filters are lifted. And a lot of it equally deserves the adjective "classical".

"Orchestral/chamber music by dead white European males of the last four centuries".

That's SIX different limiting filters Hardly the stuff deserving of the term "classical" all by itself.

I grew up on it and appreciate it where it's well done but I'm also aware it's a narrow filter of only one type of format from a limited time period from only one continent by only one gender, and that there's WAY more out there once those filters are lifted. And a lot of it equally deserves the adjective "classical".
At some point, the white elite in Europe decided that classical music was high culture and had to be listened to to rank among them. It conferred status. So, white people everywhere seeking to gain status from being cultured listen to it.

If you are actually IN the orchestra, then you are a special person within the white community, with a status akin to that of a monk within the Church.

But what will send a white person's status through the roof was if he was a white person who liked black composers.

There aren’t many that anyone else will have heard of, but they can say whatever they like about their music because nobody ever listens to it.

Le Chevalier de Saint-Georges, the “Black Mozart”, gets you triple bonus points.

At some point, the white elite in Europe decided that classical music was high culture and had to be listened to to rank among them. It conferred status. So, white people everywhere seeking to gain status from being cultured listen to it.

If you are actually IN the orchestra, then you are a special person within the white community, with a status akin to that of a monk within the Church.

But what will send a white person's status through the roof was if he was a white person who liked black composers.

There aren’t many that anyone else will have heard of, but they can say whatever they like about their music because nobody ever listens to it.

Le Chevalier de Saint-Georges, the “Black Mozart”, gets you triple bonus points.

I always thought that when Scott Joplin's music was analyzed the various sections were called "strains", while if he had been white they would have been called "movements".

People I know that actually play "classical" music are pretty cool down-to-earth types. It's the contrived image of its presentation that's so phony. Part of that phony image is the ultraformal dress, which I guarantee you is not the musicians' idea.

Forum List

Back