Black, Brown, and Yellow Face

Slade3200

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2016
Im listening to discussions today about black, brown and yellow face and I’m seeking some clarity.

I do understand the inappropriateness of blackface given the racist history of our country and how it was used to demean blacks in the past. I get it and I am not promoting the acceptance of blackface.

But I’m listening to commentators talking about brown and yellow in the same way. They are making the point that if it’s a minority then it’s racist because it is dehumanizing and demeaning because it is making fun of the way people look. Pointing out old movies that were racist because white people dressed up as black and Asian characters often for comedic purposes... Is SNL now a racists show?

I’m writing this OP to discuss where the line is. It seems like we are moving towards calling Halloween a racist holiday. What about caricature drawings? Are these also racist because they make fun of people features? Should they only be acceptable for white people or not accepted at all?

Please share your thoughts...

tarateno.jpg

obama.jpg

f1aa38e312b396f91034ecc1e277560e.jpg

Last edited:
boy oh boy , these silly issues got you younger guys hopping all over the place and treating these silly issues seriously . I think its funny to see Slade .

boy oh boy , these silly issues got you younger guys hopping all over the place and treating these silly issues seriously . I think its funny to see Slade .
Well Pis, some of us actually care about people’s feelings and how our actions effect others. With that said I do think there is a surge of over sensitivity going on in certain areas which is why healthy discussions are good to have.

Well Pis, some of us actually care about people’s feelings and how our actions effect others. With that said I do think there is a surge of over sensitivity going on in certain areas which is why healthy discussions are good to have.
------------------------------------ yeah , and its pretty funny to see and hear Slade .

the way you guys are going you'll never be able to have a proper 'mohamad' cartoon contest .

Im listening to discussions today about black, brown and yellow face and I’m seeking some clarity.

I do understand the inappropriateness of blackface given the racist history of our country and how it was used to demean blacks in the past. I get it and I am not promoting the acceptance of blackface.

But I’m listening to commentators talking about brown and yellow in the same way. They are making the point that if it’s a minority then it’s racist because it is dehumanizing and demeaning because it is making fun of the way people look. Pointing out old movies that were racist because white people dressed up as black and Asian characters often for comedic purposes... Is SNL now a racists show?

I’m writing this OP to discuss where the line is. It seems like we are moving towards calling Halloween a racist holiday. What about caricature drawings? Are these also racist because they make fun of people features? Should they only be acceptable for white people or not accepted at all?

tarateno.jpg

obama.jpg

There's nothing inherently "racist, demeaning or dehumanizing" about simple costuming makeup. That occurs when the wearer of said costuming then uses it TO demean, dehumanize or mock the race invoked. Absent that it's a simple stage prop.

This is much like claiming that simply identifying someone's race is all by itself "racist". It isn't. Racism requires a value judgment. So if Fred Armisen is picked to play Barack O'bama, a darkened skin tone serves the same purpose as that chinchilla on Alec Baldwin's head does when he plays Rump. No more, no less.

tarateno.jpg

obama.jpg

There's nothing inherently "racist, demeaning or dehumanizing" about simple costuming makeup. That occurs when the wearer of said costuming then uses it TO demean, dehumanize or mock the race invoked. Absent that it's a simple stage prop.

This is much like claiming that simply identifying someone's race is all by itself "racist". It isn't. Racism requires a value judgment. So if Fred Armisen is picked to play Barack O'bama, a darkened skin tone serves the same purpose as that chinchilla on Alec Baldwin's head does when he plays Rump. No more, no less.
I agree but I think many would disagree with you. Take Meagan Kelly. She got fired because she made the point you just made. Asked what’s wrong with using blackface to dress up as a black person for halloween if you are celebrating that person.

It’s also part of our nature to make fun. When I dress up as a cowboy for a cowboy party I’m gonna act like a goofy cowboy. Or when I’m an 80s rocker I’m going to act like a sex crazed bimbo. Or if I’m a priest I’m gonna bless people and grab all the boys asses. We make fun of all kinds of things and we laugh.

Again, I understand why doing this to black people is taboo given our history but is the same true for all minorities because they are minorities? I’m just trying to dig into the psyche of it all.

A high school gotta shamed for wearing a gesha outfit to a school dance because she wasn’t Chinese. Stuff like that. Is it too far? Is it racist?

Personally I believe society is hypersensitive in today time. I do understand that mocking a person or race with a painted face no black, brown or even orange ( poor Cookie the Clown and the Oompa Loompa Kingdom ) but we have taken some of this too far in my opinion.

Take Black Pete in Holland.

Some deem the fictional character as racist because Pete face is black face but how many people the story of Santa Claus?

If anyone knew the story of the Chimney Sweep that went down the Chimney they would know the elve Black Pete face is black because of the soot that he get on his face.

Now today snowflakes deem him to be a slave of Santa Claus and a insult to the Black society around the World.

So yeah I believe that we are going too far and need to come back to reality before someone claims wearing black, brown, yellow or even orange colored clothes can be construed as racist...

cooky95.jpg

( look like Trump )

tarateno.jpg

obama.jpg

I agree but I think many would disagree with you. Take Meagan Kelly. She got fired because she made the point you just made. Asked what’s wrong with using blackface to dress up as a black person for halloween if you are celebrating that person.

It’s also part of our nature to make fun. When I dress up as a cowboy for a cowboy party I’m gonna act like a goofy cowboy. Or when I’m an 80s rocker I’m going to act like a sex crazed bimbo. Or if I’m a priest I’m gonna bless people and grab all the boys asses. We make fun of all kinds of things and we laugh.

Again, I understand why doing this to black people is taboo given our history but is the same true for all minorities because they are minorities? I’m just trying to dig into the psyche of it all.

A high school gotta shamed for wearing a gesha outfit to a school dance because she wasn’t Chinese. Stuff like that. Is it too far? Is it racist?

Not at all. Mocking that race with silly gestures or pronouncements or caricatures might be but simply changing one's appearance makes no such point.

I have no idea what happened with Megyn Kelley but I've personally been made up to look like Ernie K-Doe for Hallowe'en and stood out in public, on Frenchmen Street in New Orleans, all night. Nobody anywhere took any offense, but neither was I mocking or belittling Ernie (who I knew personally). If anyone had claimed to take offense, they would then have to explain why, and they would have had no answer.

It was a damn good makeup job too --- nobody recognized me.

tarateno.jpg

obama.jpg

???????????????????

America is a free country. This time of year I should be free to pick out my own Halloween costume without worrying about hurting the feelings of someone who doesn't even live in my neighborhood.

I have no idea what happened with Megyn Kelley but I've personally been made up to look like Ernie K-Doe for Hallowe'en and stood out in public, on Frenchmen Street in New Orleans, all night.

Your pimp is very random.

America is a free country. This time of year I should be free to pick out my own Halloween costume without worrying about hurting the feelings of someone who doesn't even live in my neighborhood.

No you shouldn't. America is a free country. You don't have the right to not hurt anybody's feelings any more than they have the right to no be offended.

New Topics

Forum List

Back