Black America's Fiscal Cliff Cheat Sheet

TruthOut10

Dec 3, 2012
To be clear, no one intended the triggers to actually be set off, but instead hoped that the threat of them would spur Congress into bipartisan action in an effort to avoid tanking the U.S. economy, better known as taking America over a fiscal cliff. However, both sides are pessimistic right now about the likelihood of reaching a quick deal.

Below is a look at what is at stake for black America, both if the U.S. goes over the fiscal cliff and if lawmakers reach a compromise.

Scenario No. 1: No Compromise Reached, and America Heads Over Fiscal Cliff

Unemployment benefits: The federal extension of unemployment benefits will expire, meaning someone who may once have benefited from a combined 99 weeks of federal and state unemployment benefits will see that fall to 26. Black unemployment was 9.1 percent in 2008, reached a high of 15.7 percent in 2011 and currently stands at 14.3 percent, indicating that black Americans have been hit especially hard by the recession. Although blacks are less likely to receive unemployment benefits than other groups (pdf), unemployment benefits remain a lifeline for far too many African-American households.

Federal employees: Any funding shortfall affecting the federal government has an immediate impact on federal employees, both in terms of actual payment and hours worked, as well as employment status. Should America go over a fiscal cliff, federal employees nationwide will be affected in congressional offices, Social Security offices and elsewhere, at all levels.

According to a segment on NPR's "Tell Me More," only 15 percent of federal employees are based in the Washington, D.C., area, meaning that any economic impact felt by federal employees will have repercussions nationally. According to an analysis by the Huffington Post, 21 percent of the nation's employed black adults are employed by the federal government, so cutbacks or layoffs to the government sector have a disproportionate impact on our community.

The American Opportunity Tax Credit: The American Opportunity Tax Credit is set forth in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (aka the stimulus). This tax credit helps provide relief for those pursuing their first four years of college. The full credit is not available for single people who begin earning $80,000 or more while receiving it (the hurdle is higher for joint filers). It also has a direct impact on how the tax credit for federal Pell Grants is executed.

More than 70 percent of black students receive need-based financial aid to attend college, compared with 40 percent of white students, meaning that black Americans are more likely to benefit from financial incentives to spur college attendance, making credits like this particularly crucial. If America goes over a fiscal cliff, the American Opportunity Tax Credit will expire.

The Child Tax Credit: At the moment the Child Tax Credit, a tax reimbursement that households can claim for each offspring, is $1,000 per child. This number will drop to $500 should America go over the fiscal cliff. As of 2009, black women made up 27 percent of female single heads of households, compared with just 7.8 percent for white women. While this tax credit affects all black families with children, with more than 70 percent of black children being born to single mothers, this tax credit's impact on black women in particular cannot be understated.

Marriage-penalty relief: Because of a quirk of tax law, couples, particularly low-income ones, have long ended up paying more in taxes upon marrying and filing jointly than they did while single. Marriage-penalty relief addressed this. It will expire if America goes over the fiscal cliff. Black Americans already have the lowest marriage rates of any demographic group. Reinstating a financial penalty for marriage is unlikely to change that.

Payroll tax: The Social Security tax rate, which now stands at 4.2 percent, known colloquially as a "payroll tax holiday," will automatically revert to 6.2 percent. Based on a CNN analysis, this means that someone earning $50,000 will end up paying an additional $1,000 in taxes each year.

Scenario No. 2: Compromise Reached and Fiscal Cliff Averted

Taxes: While the president has indicated that he is open to bipartisan compromise in regard to the fiscal cliff, he has also made it clear that he is unwilling to compromise on tax increases for those earning more than $250,000 annually. While the U.S. Census Bureau does not collect data on the number of households earning $250,000 a year, it calculated the number earning more than $200,000 as 3.8 million.

Census data reveal that while the median net worth for blacks is $4,995, for whites it is $110,729. Additionally, analysis has also found that African Americans make up around 1 percent of the so-called 1 percent, while whites make up more than 96 percent of them. This means that only a small proportion of black Americans will be affected by a tax increase on those making more than $250,000 a year.

Medicaid: While the president and Democratic leaders such as Nancy Pelosi have been adamant that any deal must include tax increases for those earning more than $250,000 a year, Republicans have been adamant that any compromise must also include cuts to so-called entitlement programs, among them Medicaid. Established in 1965 as part of an amendment to the Social Security Act, Medicaid provides government-funded coverage of medical services for low-income Americans.

In 2006 the Joint Center for Economic and Political Studies released a report titled "Medicaid: A Program With Special Significance for African Americans." Noting the extreme health disparities between black and white Americans, the report concluded, "African Americans have a particularly large stake in Medicaid." As of 2010, just over 20 percent of black Americans were uninsured, compared with 11.7 percent of white Americans. It appears that cuts to Medicaid would disproportionately affect African Americans.

Medicare: Medicare, a program providing medical care for those over 65 and some with disabilities, is also facing potentially steep cuts or changes because of fiscal-cliff negotiations. According to a 2005 report from the Kaiser Family Foundation, African Americans on Medicare are usually in worse health than their white counterparts, and two in three African Americans on Medicare have incomes of less than 150 percent of the poverty designation. Cuts would have a disproportionate impact on blacks.

Social Security: Despite protests from progressives, Social Security is another program from which Republican leaders have demanded cutbacks as part of a fiscal-cliff compromise. Any cuts would disproportionately affect black Americans because a higher proportion of them rely on Social Security.

According to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, Social Security represents 90 percent of income for 35 percent of elderly white beneficiaries, but it represents the same amount for 49 percent of black beneficiaries. Additionally, although black Americans made up just over 12 percent of the population in 2010, 23 percent of those claiming Social Security survivor benefits were African American.

I think the term "African-American" is funny. If they are American, shouldn't they just be American? There is some equality for ya

To be clear, no one intended the triggers to actually be set off, but instead hoped that the threat of them would spur Congress into bipartisan action in an effort to avoid tanking the U.S. economy, better known as taking America over a fiscal cliff. However, both sides are pessimistic right now about the likelihood of reaching a quick deal.

Below is a look at what is at stake for black America, both if the U.S. goes over the fiscal cliff and if lawmakers reach a compromise.

Unemployment benefits: The federal extension of unemployment benefits will expire, meaning someone who may once have benefited from a combined 99 weeks of federal and state unemployment benefits will see that fall to 26. Black unemployment was 9.1 percent in 2008, reached a high of 15.7 percent in 2011 and currently stands at 14.3 percent, indicating that black Americans have been hit especially hard by the recession. Although blacks are less likely to receive unemployment benefits than other groups (pdf), unemployment benefits remain a lifeline for far too many African-American households.

Federal employees: Any funding shortfall affecting the federal government has an immediate impact on federal employees, both in terms of actual payment and hours worked, as well as employment status. Should America go over a fiscal cliff, federal employees nationwide will be affected in congressional offices, Social Security offices and elsewhere, at all levels.

According to a segment on NPR's "Tell Me More," only 15 percent of federal employees are based in the Washington, D.C., area, meaning that any economic impact felt by federal employees will have repercussions nationally. According to an analysis by the Huffington Post, 21 percent of the nation's employed black adults are employed by the federal government, so cutbacks or layoffs to the government sector have a disproportionate impact on our community.

The American Opportunity Tax Credit: The American Opportunity Tax Credit is set forth in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (aka the stimulus). This tax credit helps provide relief for those pursuing their first four years of college. The full credit is not available for single people who begin earning $80,000 or more while receiving it (the hurdle is higher for joint filers). It also has a direct impact on how the tax credit for federal Pell Grants is executed.

More than 70 percent of black students receive need-based financial aid to attend college, compared with 40 percent of white students, meaning that black Americans are more likely to benefit from financial incentives to spur college attendance, making credits like this particularly crucial. If America goes over a fiscal cliff, the American Opportunity Tax Credit will expire.

The Child Tax Credit: At the moment the Child Tax Credit, a tax reimbursement that households can claim for each offspring, is $1,000 per child. This number will drop to $500 should America go over the fiscal cliff. As of 2009, black women made up 27 percent of female single heads of households, compared with just 7.8 percent for white women. While this tax credit affects all black families with children, with more than 70 percent of black children being born to single mothers, this tax credit's impact on black women in particular cannot be understated.

Marriage-penalty relief: Because of a quirk of tax law, couples, particularly low-income ones, have long ended up paying more in taxes upon marrying and filing jointly than they did while single. Marriage-penalty relief addressed this. It will expire if America goes over the fiscal cliff. Black Americans already have the lowest marriage rates of any demographic group. Reinstating a financial penalty for marriage is unlikely to change that.

Payroll tax: The Social Security tax rate, which now stands at 4.2 percent, known colloquially as a "payroll tax holiday," will automatically revert to 6.2 percent. Based on a CNN analysis, this means that someone earning $50,000 will end up paying an additional $1,000 in taxes each year.

Hey "Truth" good to see you. thanks for posting this.

Why is it Black America? Do not all those items affect whites, Asians, Hispanics, Native Americans etc.?

Such a racist ass you are!

Going over the fiscal cliff will effect corporations big time. I was privy to a meeting of my corps BOD and they required legal/compliance to come up with a game play for the RIFs (reduction in force) that will be in place if we go over the cliff, including mandatory furloughs!

Our President is demanding we go over the cliff. It's inevitable! Going over the cliff is the ONLY way Obama can get those taxes on the over $250K incomes!

Why is it Black America? Do not all those items affect whites, Asians, Hispanics, Native Americans etc.?

Going over the fiscal cliff will effect corporations big time. I was privy to a meeting of my corps BOD and they required legal/compliance to come up with a game play for the RIFs (reduction in force) that will be in place if we go over the cliff, including mandatory furloughs!

Our President is demanding we go over the cliff. It's inevitable! Going over the cliff is the ONLY way Obama can get those taxes on the over $250K incomes!

Is it racist to site facts? I know in America we are supposed to bury those pesky little facts. Like the one he stated that roughly 70 to 75% of black children are born out of wedlock. That blacks consistently(not just in the United States) but world wide on average score lowest on academic testing. That crime rates are higher in poor black neighborhoods than in poor white neighborhoods. All these are inconvient and I suppose racist facts in your opinion. But they are the facts.

Yes the fiscal cliff affects us all - but I believe he was trying to say that blacks(a huge Obama support group) - are one of the hardest hit groups if we go over the fiscal cliff.

Is it racist to site facts? I know in America we are supposed to bury those pesky little facts. Like the one he stated that roughly 70 to 75% of black children are born out of wedlock. That blacks consistently(not just in the United States) but world wide on average score lowest on academic testing. That crime rates are higher in poor black neighborhoods than in poor white neighborhoods. All these are inconvient and I suppose racist facts in your opinion. But they are the facts.

Yes the fiscal cliff affects us all - but I believe he was trying to say that blacks(a huge Obama support group) - are one of the hardest hit groups if we go over the fiscal cliff.
True, but smokey is blaming it on white Republicans. His boy doesn't get any of the blame!

I think the term "African-American" is funny. If they are American, shouldn't they just be American? There is some equality for ya

The intention of this post was to solicit adult conversation, but I should've known better to think adult discussion from people like you is impossible.

Why do you have a problem with me or anyone else black identifying ourselves as "African Americans"? I'm proud to be identified as an "African American", would you also consider Italian American, Irish American, Asian American or Jewish American to also be funny?

Are they also not allowed to be proud of their ethnic heritage?

IOW

unless a deal is made the welfare checks might stop coming

I see I'm going to have fun educating ignorant people such as yourself, you have this false security about you to believe that if we do go off the fiscal cliff, that you will be unaffected.

I don't know if you speak more from arrogance or ignorance, both are equally foolish and dangerous in some situations.

And trust me, I do get the word association with "welfare" to somehow suggest its just black folks on it, but factually speaking there are more whites on welfare, than blacks.

The intention of this post was to solicit adult conversation, but I should've known better to think adult discussion from people like you is impossible.
Why do you have a problem with me or anyone else black identifying ourselves as "African Americans"? I'm proud to be identified as an "African American", would you also consider Italian American, Irish American, Asian American or Jewish American to also be funny?

Sure they are. Have at it. If your an American arent you just an American? Seems to me like an african american was born in Africa then got US citizenship.

Not short on talking points or stereotyping folks, but very short on facts. Because you say so, doesn't mean it's so. Try backing up some of those false claims with studies that prove your case.

The mere fact that I took you to task and schooled you truly upsets you. Because I'm proving that you are not superior to me, or will ever be. Your best bet is to pm Huey to get a clue on whom your dealing with. I enjoy the banter back and forth to show others just how stupid you are.

So what's the problem to point out that Blacks would be disproportionately affected more if our congress people who get paid regardless if we go off the cliff?

What crime did I commit by informing others about this?

See how foolish you sound and look to others now?

IOW

I see I'm going to have fun educating ignorant people such as yourself, you have this false security about you to believe that if we do go off the fiscal cliff, that you will be unaffected.

I don't know if you speak more from arrogance or ignorance, both are equally foolish and dangerous in some situations.

And trust me, I do get the word association with "welfare" to somehow suggest its just black folks on it, but factually speaking there are more whites on welfare, than blacks.

In 2002 there were 4% more blacks than whites on welfare. Your liberal mantra is amusing. There are more whites than blacks. Sure, more whites on welfare but the percentage is higher with blacks. Meaning a higher percentage of the black race is on welfare than the white

Sure they are. Have at it. If your an American arent you just an American? Seems to me like an african american was born in Africa then got US citizenship.

You sound silly and very childish trying to continue on this discussion with me on this subject, but too ignorant to recognize any better.

Not short on talking points or stereotyping folks, but very short on facts. Because you say so, doesn't mean it's so. Try backing up some of those false claims with studies that prove your case.

The mere fact that I took you to task and schooled you truly upsets you. Because I'm proving that you are not superior to me, or will ever be. Your best bet is to pm Huey to get a clue on whom your dealing with. I enjoy the banter back and forth to show others just how stupid you are.

So what's the problem to point out that Blacks would be disproportionately affected more if our congress people who get paid regardless if we go off the cliff?

What crime did I commit by informing others about this?

See how foolish you sound and look to others now?

Telling someone you schooled them because they didnt post a link? Where is your link to make him wrong?

You sound silly and very childish trying to continue on this discussion with me on this subject, but too ignorant to recognize any better.

Sorry if 'I was trying to give you equality. What should I recognize since you know everything?

IOW

excuse me but you are only concerned about black people

RE: YOUR OP

Hey "Truth" good to see you. thanks for posting this.

Glad to see you too and thanks for the 4-1-1, some of these cats are a riot for real...:lol:

IOW

excuse me but you are only concerned about black people

RE: YOUR OP

Not true, but if that is what you want to believe, believe on...:eusa_boohoo:

Sorry if 'I was trying to give you equality. What should I recognize since you know everything?

Very naive or just stupid, how should I address you from here on out? Because I don't need you to give me "equality", nor do I need you to validate my existence.

Forum List

Back