Biscuits and Gravy

You only use a little to saute the onions and such when you start out. It isn't greasy, just adds some flavor.
Not exactly bacon fat, but when I bake beans, I always use half a pound of salt pork. I've had plenty of beans where the cook used margarine or some such shit, and they taste totally flat. Even though you don't taste the pork or see any grease, it makes a huge difference.

I read once that bacon (and pork fat) is to American cuisine what butter is to French.

I don't use margarine for anything. If something calls for butter, it's best to use real butter.
The old timers always insisted on that--including my Dad. Then come to find out, margarine was worse for you.
Butter makes everything better.

Indeed, it does. Last night for dinner I made a really simple spaghetti side dish with butter, truffle oil and a bit of parmesan. The butter with the oil worked perfectly. I'm going to add this to my regular repertoire.
I've never had truffle, but I've loved pasta with butter and parmesan ever since I was a kid. I mix the butter with good olive oil if I have some. Now olive oil is something that goes rancid fast. I don't use it all that much and usually end up throwing most of it away, unfortunately.
We often make Alfredo sauce. Puts store bought jarred sauce to shame. You're an ingredient or two away!
Yeah, I had a friend who used to make it. Heaven in your mouth.

You only use a little to saute the onions and such when you start out. It isn't greasy, just adds some flavor.
Not exactly bacon fat, but when I bake beans, I always use half a pound of salt pork. I've had plenty of beans where the cook used margarine or some such shit, and they taste totally flat. Even though you don't taste the pork or see any grease, it makes a huge difference.

I read once that bacon (and pork fat) is to American cuisine what butter is to French.

I don't use margarine for anything. If something calls for butter, it's best to use real butter.
The old timers always insisted on that--including my Dad. Then come to find out, margarine was worse for you.

Indeed, it does. Last night for dinner I made a really simple spaghetti side dish with butter, truffle oil and a bit of parmesan. The butter with the oil worked perfectly. I'm going to add this to my regular repertoire.
I've never had truffle, but I've loved pasta with butter and parmesan ever since I was a kid. I mix the butter with good olive oil if I have some. Now olive oil is something that goes rancid fast. I don't use it all that much and usually end up throwing most of it away, unfortunately.

Real truffle oil is fabulous! It's somewhat expensive, but you can buy it in small bottles for a special treat - same thing with extra virgin olive oil. I've gotten to the point where I just dress salads with balsamic vinegar and olive oil instead of prepared dressings - so we use up the olive oil while it is still good.
Yes. Once you make a real vinaigrette you will never go back. I hate bottled dressing.

It get the roux and pot roast, but adding bacon fat to soup doesn't do anything for me. Soups shouldn't be greasy.

Real truffles are pretty pricey at over $100 an oz. but there are substitutes that are infused with truffle that are very good.
Truffle salt,truffle butter,truffle oil are all very good.

We'll buy the real thing when in season occasionally.
You have the white and black. We prefer the black.
fresh-truffles-amazon-chowhound.jpg

upload_2019-5-27_12-39-7.jpeg

People train dogs and pigs to find them.

Real truffles are pretty pricey at over $100 an oz. but there are substitutes that are infused with truffle that are very good.

View attachment 262708

Okay, I went into a really high end spice and specialty foods store in....can't remember--Charleston maybe, on a food tour? Doesn't matter. Anyway, we sniffed all kinds of wonderful herbs and spices and then they passed around the truffle oil. Every single one of us wrinkled up our noses and wondered how anyone could possibly put that in their food. It smelled absolutely positively AWFUL. And the store owner who was giving us the tour didn't try to defend it either.

So I've never been anxious to try it.

View attachment 262708

Okay, I went into a really high end spice and specialty foods store in....can't remember--Charleston maybe, on a food tour? Doesn't matter. Anyway, we sniffed all kinds of wonderful herbs and spices and then they passed around the truffle oil. Every single one of us wrinkled up our noses and wondered how anyone could possibly put that in their food. It smelled absolutely positively AWFUL. And the store owner who was giving us the tour didn't try to defend it either.

So I've never been anxious to try it.

It has a wonderful earthy taste!!
My wife was the same way at first,the key is to use it sparingly.
Six slivers sliced paper thin is enough for a pot of pasta for two.
I'll admit the first time I smelled it I was a little apprehensive myself.
The best way I can describe it is it's almost a mushroom taste but with way deeper flavors.

It's kinda like the difference between a fresh ribeye vs a 35 day dry aged ribeye. The flavors are more pronounced.

Had a little debate this morning while preparing the above.

Who saves bacon grease for cooking, and for how long?

I say indefinitely.

:desk:I do, I do... Hell I use bacon grease for everything, I make coffee with bacon grease... :coffee:

Secret to keeping bacon grease is to strain all the bacon bits and little particles out of the phat... The bits of bacon are what goes bad (rancid) if you don't strain properly... Personally I don't keep a very large jar so I make sure it get used up... I double strain my grease through a tea strainer with a coffee filter inside... I keep my BG in ice box and it has the appearance of a big fluffy white cloud... Very white... If I cut an onion you can bet your bippy it will get sautéed in BG... If you really use a lot of bacon grease leaving it on counter top or stove top is all right but like anything you need to rotate the stock...

Won't keep very long...
bd9697559fcdb32f3bc2027bac313b81.jpg

Somebody stole my patent!!! :argue:
th

I like using rendered beef fat.
When I run out I get a packer brisket to smoke.
By the time you trim it you have enough fat to make two pint jars worth,and when done right you're left with two pints of pearly white beef fat.
Put all your soft fat,dont mess with the hard stuff as it will never render down,in a large stock pot and add a couple cups of water so the fat doesnt burn.
Once the fat starts rendering it wont burn. Leave it on the stove for a day or two depending on how much fat you started with then pour through a triple layer of cheesecloth.

The stuffs great for searing a steak when using the reverse sear method. Also great for making beef enchiladas.

Last edited:
I never even heard of biscuits and gravy till I moved down south from Chicago, it appears it is also a favorite out west too...I think now it's my favorite breakfast, along with grits ( you really can't get that either up in the Chicago area)

I never even heard of biscuits and gravy till I moved down south from Chicago, it appears it is also a favorite out west too...I think now it's my favorite breakfast, along with grits ( you really can't get that either up in the Chicago area)

Biscuits and gravy will stay with you till lunch time.
Great stuff out on the range.

The good thing about biscuits and gravy is you can make it damn near anywhere as the ingredients are readily available most anywhere.
Biscuits,easy. Pan sausage,no problem.

The good thing about biscuits and gravy is you can make it damn near anywhere as the ingredients are readily available most anywhere.
Biscuits,easy. Pan sausage,no problem.

I also think it's a good meal to gain weight, the gravy sticks to you, like you said it fills you up till lunch and just a few biscuits do the trick for most

The hell you say! Any respectable breakfast joint up here has b&g!

Dupage? Maybe the times have changed left cook county in 2004, heard they even now have a cracker barrel near Great America

Dupage? Maybe the times have changed left cook county in 2004, heard they even now have a cracker barrel near Great America
There's even decent grits at a few places...

I like using rendered beef fat.
When I run out I get a packer brisket to smoke.
By the time you trim it you have enough fat to make two pint jars worth,and when done right you're left with two pints of pearly white beef fat.
Put all your soft fat,dont mess with the hard stuff as it will never render down,in a large stock pot and add a couple cups of water so the fat doesnt burn.
Once the fat starts rendering it wont burn. Leave it on the stove for a day or two depending on how much fat you started with then pour through a triple layer of cheesecloth.

The stuffs great for searing a steak when using the reverse sear method. Also great for making beef enchiladas.
And french fries.

oh yea it goes bad after awhile
i like using it with a tater dish i make

and someone said salt pork
that always good for starting an old fashioned ragu

Forum List

Back