Bicycle Safety

Sundance508

Gold Member
May 24, 2016
I used to ride motorcycles but after a girl ran a red light and nearly killed me....I gave that up and got a bicycle.

Unfortunately, bicycle riding is also very dangerous not as dangerous as riding a motorcycle but still very dangerous.

Things I have learned.....never ride out in the street if you can possibly avoid it.

Despite what most tell you...if you do ride in the street ....ride on the left side meeting oncoming traffic...which allows you to see who is approaching you...and if need be you can veer off to the left to avoid them if they appear to be drunk or whatever...if you ride on the right...you have no option to see what is approaching you unless you keep your eyes glued to a rear-view mirror which could be dangerous of itself...not keeping your eyes on where you are going.
Yet...most will not agree with that...being coinditioned to go along with traffic regulations...but if you do so you are putting your life at risk...aka...trusting the driver coming up behind you...aka not knowing if he is under the influence of something or just a careless and unobservant driver....I do not like trusting anyone to do the right thing...too often they will disappoint you...aka they run over you and the most they will get is a traffic ticket.

Bottom line any time you put yourself in a position on a bicycle where you can be run over...your are gambling that the driver is sober, watchful and alert....too many are not ....I do not like the odds.

As a rule of thumb I also avoid intersections....If I need to cross the road I will pick a spot not too close to a intersection...will wait to traffic is clear on both sides and then cross without putting myself at someones mercy or blindness.

I ride as much as possible on established bike trails...but even there you must be careful...I had a older couple clip my rear tire...I was on a very popular bike trail...but streets do cross it...there are stop signs for the motorists...but you cannot trust them to always stop and especially you cannot trust them to even see you in broad daylight....the older couples excuse was they did not see me...which was obvious.

Parking lots also are very dangerous...avoid them if possible....if you do have to go into a shopping mall or store...stick to the outer edges of the lot ..try avoiding going across one...cars are coming from every direction. Dangerous.

I always give cars the advantage ...I will stop and wave them by...I always try to avoid putting my bike in front of a car even if if I have the right of way...I have found that to be very dangerous.

I'm an avid rider. I try to avoid major roads as much as possible sticking to trails and back streets. But I couldn't disagree more about riding AGAINST traffic. That's the best way to get hit. Were you actually serious about that or is this a joke, hence Vastator's response of "Really? Bad taste. Bad form...".

People just don't see motorcycles or bicycles. If they don't ride either occasionally, they don't even think of the possibility of something with two wheels being around. Every person I know who has been injured on either kind of bike was following all the rules, but hurt by someone that didn't even see them until it was too late.

I didn't even mention all the hatred out there for bicyclists....believe me a lot of automobile drivers really hate bicyclists...they will shout obscenities as they in the safety their cars pass you by at a good clip...I managed to catch one at a red light but that is another story.

I make sure to carry 4 things with me when I am biking....a bottle of water, a kit to repair flats, a can of pepper spray primarily for unattended aggresive dogs not on a leash but has other uses also.... and very importantly a concealed weapon w/permit for the psychoes and negroes If i happen to stray through a black area....a lot of crazy people out there...believe me.

Bicyclists have been assaulted and even killed for no other reason that they were riding a bike....that is the level of hatred out there that unfortunately exists....now if you can stick to good neighborhoods the danger is decreased but for those of us who often go on long bike rides...often through unfamiliar territory you really do not know what you are going to come across..sorta like a lone horseback rider in the old days heading out west through indian country. Some of the crazys think a lone guy on a bike is a easy target.

I'm an avid rider. I try to avoid major roads as much as possible sticking to trails and back streets. But I couldn't disagree more about riding AGAINST traffic. That's the best way to get hit. Were you actually serious about that or is this a joke, hence Vastator's response of "Really? Bad taste. Bad form...".

It does not suprise me...most will tell me I am wrong....yet most of those who get killed riding a bike are riding in the street on the right side of the road...some drunk or non-alert driver will come up from behind and run them over....happens all too frequently.

Riding in the street...i do not care which side you are on is very dangerous...thus i ride on the sidewalk or on a bike path whenever possible.

I used to live in Vegas and there was a rather famous bicylist that had one of those bicycles with a wind shield and pedals up high where he could recline whilst riding....everyone that drove down tropicana av. was familiar with him...rode right out in traffic...was really a nuisance...he was trying to make the point that he had as much right to be on the road out in the traffic as a car...he did have the legal right to do that but unfortunately he was run over and killed. I had an ecounter with him shortly before his death...I happened to be in a car and we were stopped at a red light...I rolled down my window and axed him if he was trying to comitt suicide...actually I was trying to wake him up..to help him...he got very angry maneuvered his contraption in front of me and tried to cut me off...really stupid...you cannot fix stupid.

and you are incorrect in your assessment of the 'bad form' reply...he explained it as being in 'bad form' because of the death of sunnis son. I think you fall in the stupid category.

Last edited:
Really? Bad taste. Bad form...

I agree, this isn't the appropriate moment for a thread such as this.

I hope Sunni Man doesn't read it.

I do not think anyone who has lost a son due to a bicycle accident would object to anyone trying to prevent other deaths by making some suggestions regarding bicycle safety...people are killed in car accidents every day...should we refrain from teaching or talking about how to drive safely?

I do not think anyone who has lost a son due to a bicycle accident would object to anyone trying to prevent other deaths by making some suggestions regarding bicycle safety...people are killed in car accidents every day...should we refrain from teaching or talking about how to drive safely?

It's an important topic, but it's a bit too soon, if you were in Sunni Man's situation, would you just a few days later be wanting to be discussing all of this so soon?

How so?

This is in bad taste, because of Sunni Man and what happened with his son.

Obviously not all of us, including myself, know what you are talking about.

It's here in Current Events, like Sundance's thread.

A thread posted two days ago.

I buried my Son

I do not know about you but If I had a son killed in a bicycle accident I would welcome anyone trying to promote bicycle safety....the point is to try and prevent other deaths....deaths which are all too common...and to wake up people to how dangerous it is to ride a bicycle.

Nothing is going to bring back Sunnis Son...but if people try and learn about bicycle safety and to promote it....other tragic deaths may be avoided.

It's an important topic, but it's a bit too soon, if you were in Sunni Man's situation, would you just a few days later be wanting to be discussing all of this so soon?

I think not...I did purposely wait a while...at first I simply replied on his thread with a sympathetic message.

I waited awhile and then started this thread...now If I had posted this on his thread I might be in agreement...but after waiting a while and starting another thread...I do not consider it too soon....people get killed on bicycles every day....so I had rather offend someone(though I do not think sunni would find this offensive)than to go another day without trying to save the lives of others.

In truth I think many would be more receptive to hearing about bicycle safety issues whilst the danger is fresh in their minds.

It does not suprise me...most will tell me I am wrong....yet most of those who get killed riding a bike are riding in the street on the right side of the road...some drunk or non-alert driver will come up from behind and run them over....happens all too frequently.

Riding in the street...i do not care which side you are on is very dangerous...thus i ride on the sidewalk or on a bike path whenever possible.

I used to live in Vegas and there was a rather famous bicylist that had one of those bicycles with a wind shield and pedals up high where he could recline whilst riding....everyone that drove down tropicana av. was familiar with him...rode right out in traffic...was really a nuisance...he was trying to make the point that he had as much right to be on the road out in the traffic as a car...he did have the legal right to do that but unfortunately he was run over and killed. I had an ecounter with him shortly before his death...I happened to be in a car and we were stopped at a red light...I rolled down my window and axed him if he was trying to comitt suicide...actually I was trying to wake him up..to help him...he got very angry maneuvered his contraption in front of me and tried to cut me off...really stupid...you cannot fix stupid.

and you are incorrect in your assessment of the 'bad form' reply...he explained it as being in 'bad form' because of the death of sunnis son. I think you fall in the stupid category.

I'm not the one riding on the wrong side of the road and through bad neighborhoods requiring me to carry weapons. You are one dumb shit. Or, now that I know the story, your possibly intentionally being an insensitive piece of shit. In either scenario good luck with your riding.

I'm not the one riding on the wrong side of the road and through bad neighborhoods requiring me to carry weapons. You are one dumb shit. Or, now that I know the story, your possibly intentionally being an insensitive piece of shit. In either scenario good luck with your riding.

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa You keep riding on the right side of the road and see what happens...I prefer to see whats coming at me.

To show just how wrong and stupid you are I did some research>>>>>You will note it is documented that the great majority of bicyclists killed whilst riding are killed by 'rear end collisions' ...meaning that cars hit the bicyclists from behind ...got dat chump?

How and why bicycle deaths happen in the US

Anyone who rides long distance knows the type of neighborhoods they often have to ride through...you can be prepared if you choose...if you choose not to that is stupid...aka a victim waiting to happen.

Oh liberals are so sensitive....oh yes so sensitive bwaaaaaaaaaaaaa blow it out your arse. hehheh

Last edited:

Forum List

Back