Biblical ages

Montrovant

Fuzzy bears!
May 4, 2009
A Picturesque Apocalypse
For those of you who believe in the old testament, I would like to hear your thoughts/explanations of the incredible ages ascribed to many of the people. Very early on, in Genesis I believe, is a genealogy with various people living almost a thousand years. Did those people in fact live that long? If so, why did they have such long lifespans, and why did human lifespans drop so drastically? If not, is it a matter of bad translation or some other reason it's written that way?

While I know if this thread has enough replies it's almost sure to end up with people just throwing out insults about people's beliefs or lack thereof, that is not my intent. I am just curious how those who believe in the veracity of the book reconcile the difference in lifespans between those writings and our current reality.

For those of you who believe in the old testament, I would like to hear your thoughts/explanations of the incredible ages ascribed to many of the people. Very early on, in Genesis I believe, is a genealogy with various people living almost a thousand years. Did those people in fact live that long? If so, why did they have such long lifespans, and why did human lifespans drop so drastically? If not, is it a matter of bad translation or some other reason it's written that way?

While I know if this thread has enough replies it's almost sure to end up with people just throwing out insults about people's beliefs or lack thereof, that is not my intent. I am just curious how those who believe in the veracity of the book reconcile the difference in lifespans between those writings and our current reality.

Moses was 120 years old when he died. That is hardly thousands of years.

If you get this years thing figured out, and you want to figure out something else, let me know low long a cubit is.

If you get this years thing figured out, and you want to figure out something else, let me know low long a cubit is.

It is roughly 18". It is the length from the elbow to the end of the middle finger.

An inch was 10 grains of a cereal.

A mile is 1000 steps, which is where the word comes from. (mill= latin for 1000)

The acre was based on how much ground a man with a wooden plow and a pair of oxen could plow in an 18 hour day.

A pint is one pound of water. (Or beer)
The metric system uses the same base, a gram is one cubic centimeter of water. A liter is 1000 cubic centimeters. Which weighs one kilogram. And is a bit more than a quart.

Gd just said that 120 years is enough in Genesis chapter six, verse one. You make the universe, you can make the rules be anything you want.

Forum List

Back