Bible criticism

So you are making excuses for God to behave like a sadistic psychopath. Drowning people and burning them.

I am saying a physical universe has built-in physical tragedies that are simply a part of it. Those tragedies do not faze God because as He well knows, there is something greater beyond mere physical existence. We can all handle what the physical universe dishes out. I prefer that universe to a universe where we are all wrapped in cotton batting and set carefully on a shelf to live out our physical existence in a sterile environment.

Clearly, if there is a God he allows suffering. Possibly to force evolution, and growth of the soul.
But the bible clearly states that God deliberately caused the flood, and destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah.

God is a myth. Nothing with regard to Jesus being the son of god, or the miracles have any basis in fact. Only in belief. And if you believe, good on you. Just don't try and ram it down other peoples' throats and don't try and legislate dogma into law.

Clearly, if there is a God he allows suffering. Possibly to force evolution, and growth of the soul.
But the bible clearly states that God deliberately caused the flood, and destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah.

The point I am trying to present is that ancient people had a different mindset from ours. God did everything. It wasn't gravity that kept people grounded, it was God. It wasn't plate movement that caused earthquakes, it was God. An eclipse was not caused by the earth or moon moving in front of another body, it was God. Both goodness and catastrophe were from God and by God. All was designed by God. Today, when a flood results in casualties, our modern mindset tells us it was flood conditions that resulted in death. We trace back what caused these flood conditions, a deluge, a hurricane, a break in the dam. That's where our minds go today; they don't go to God caused it. Because our minds don't think in the same manner as the ancients, when we read their words, we picture God with a magic wand intentionally causing all sorts of mayhem and destruction. That was not the picture the ancients were drawing.

Think of it like this. If God created the laws of physics, or even used laws of physics, to create this universe, then as creator He is ultimately responsible for every single thing that happens, no matter how small. I stub my toe--God's doing because He is the creator that made it possible for my toe to come into being and trip over a rock that He also caused to come into being. Ultimately, it can be argued that God even caused my clumsiness--not because He gave me a push, but because He made me and the things around me at all.

The ancients (those of faith) never lost sight of God and how mankind is affected by how God designed us and the world in which we live. It is said that God is all good and that He is pure love--so much so that evil and hatred cannot exist in God's presence. Good will always overcome evil; love will overcome hatred.

The ancients recognized this--that if they turned to evil and hateful ways, God could no longer remain in their presence. They recognized when they repented of evil and hate, goodness and love could exist among them. If that is not a law of physics, it does seem to be some law of God, or a law of creation.

So yes, God's creation can wipe out mankind, and ultimately we can point to the Creator and say, "If you had not created, none of this would have happened. It's all your doing." What we cannot do is manufacture a God who points a magic wand at people from time to time and zaps them out of pure pique.

What do you mean by "historical"?

I'd think a historical book is one that is written by someone who is using evidence to back up what they're saying. I don't believe there is any evidence of sources. It's merely what people believe happened, or what they decided to write. Rather than history.

People misinterpreting the Bible might not, in your view, make it less the word. HOWEVER, what they're SAYING is less the word of God as they're misinterpreting it and therefore it's simply not the word of God. Now, who interprets it correctly? Anyone? Is there a single person who interprets the Bible as GOD wanted it to be interpreted?

The simple answer to that is you don't know. Therefore we have to assume everyone is misinterpreting it.

Anyone can talk to God. Anyone can talk to a brick too. Doesn't mean either is actually going to respond, does it?

Sure, anything can be real or not real. However there's no basis for Religion to be real.

First, we don't have to assume everyone is misinterpreting the Bible. What we should do is investigate the interpretation to discover how and when that interpretation evolved. A problem I have with the Protestant faith is their belief that the individual alone can read and interpret the Bible by the guidance of the Holy Spirit. That type of thinking brought about the total hashing of the Book of Revelation and other apocalyptic books.

Second, there are animated beings (God, angels, humans) and there are bricks. Animated beings can communicate; bricks cannot.

Finally, many people from the beginning of time through today, have discovered the reality of God in their own lives. Just because some do not does not change facts. i.e., Just because I cannot play basketball does not mean no one can. Just because you cannot connect with God does not mean no one else can, either.[/QUOTE]

I have no justice to belief for other believers. They will take my belief then they start to belief on my sake how is stupidfy. I cannot belief when he will taken my belief how is stupidfy against me so I am stupid back and hate God on Swedish named called or it were the stupid eating through silence how treathen my even he are from far from he treathen me with eating through.

Evil power from American study in education. The American people how want to eating through because they belief on change place how cannot be in my life because my moun is stronger than eating through neard from world. It is Christianity or Islam how eating through. Never more than do me hungry.

I live on the hungry stomach in the inside but I live on the next food to eat in my mouth also eaten through. How can a man eat through without change place for over ten years, or he just wants to kill me from far away but you can not cheat when I returned to my stomach inside.

I like more food than eating out geek.

He cannot change seats. Are justice for me.

God is a myth. Nothing with regard to Jesus being the son of god, or the miracles have any basis in fact. Only in belief. And if you believe, good on you. Just don't try and ram it down other peoples' throats and don't try and legislate dogma into law.
Yeah, no one is trying to do that. What is being rammed down throats are laws that circumvent, "No law shall be made..."

What do you mean by "historical"?

I'd think a historical book is one that is written by someone who is using evidence to back up what they're saying. I don't believe there is any evidence of sources. It's merely what people believe happened, or what they decided to write. Rather than history.

People misinterpreting the Bible might not, in your view, make it less the word. HOWEVER, what they're SAYING is less the word of God as they're misinterpreting it and therefore it's simply not the word of God. Now, who interprets it correctly? Anyone? Is there a single person who interprets the Bible as GOD wanted it to be interpreted?

The simple answer to that is you don't know. Therefore we have to assume everyone is misinterpreting it.

Anyone can talk to God. Anyone can talk to a brick too. Doesn't mean either is actually going to respond, does it?

Sure, anything can be real or not real. However there's no basis for Religion to be real.

First, we don't have to assume everyone is misinterpreting the Bible. What we should do is investigate the interpretation to discover how and when that interpretation evolved. A problem I have with the Protestant faith is their belief that the individual alone can read and interpret the Bible by the guidance of the Holy Spirit. That type of thinking brought about the total hashing of the Book of Revelation and other apocalyptic books.

Second, there are animated beings (God, angels, humans) and there are bricks. Animated beings can communicate; bricks cannot.

Finally, many people from the beginning of time through today, have discovered the reality of God in their own lives. Just because some do not does not change facts. i.e., Just because I cannot play basketball does not mean no one can. Just because you cannot connect with God does not mean no one else can, either.
[/QUOTE]

Actually we clearly do have to assume people are misinterpreting it, based on the number of interpretations of it, how many of them can actually be true? The reality is that some 99.999% of the Christianity must be interpreting it badly, as there aren't enough people who interpret it the same.

The problem with Protestantism is that everyone can interpret it, and the problem with Catholicism is that less people interpret it and tell others what to think and these people either obey, ignore, or think for themselves but don't tell anyone, or simply don't understand.

How do you know God is an animated being? Who told you? Why do you believe them?

The Bible isn't history at all.

Samuel, Kings, Chronicles are a few of the historical books in the Bible.

Yes people can interpret it however they like, and many of the more fanatical of those who do will stand by their interpretation and say "it's the word of God", it clearly isn't.

People misinterpreting or misunderstanding the word of God doesn't make many parts of it any less the word--or revelation--of God. Much of it is about God's interaction with His creation, as seen through the eyes of observant humans.

The Bible was written by men. Supposedly only Jesus could talk to God, but these other guys then went and wrote stuff, and suddenly it's the word of God, how do you figure that one out?

Anyone can talk to God, and the Bible contains many incidents of those who did. Further, It doesn't begin to give accounts of all who spoke to and listened to God.

If you believe, it's believing. It's not real, otherwise it wouldn't be called a belief, would it?

Belief, like anything else, can be real--or not, correct or incorrect. The same is true of non-belief or unbelief.
People misinterpreting or misunderstanding the word of God doesn't make many parts of it any less the word--or revelation--of God. Much of it is about God's interaction with His creation, as seen through the eyes of observant humans.

People misinterpreting or misunderstanding the word of God ...

really, that is all the Almighty has left for mankind since Noah is to find the true path to the Everlasting ... that is not what has occurred with the present scriptural accounts including the distraction of Jesus so are you not willing to restructuring by means of new scriptures the bible to fulfill the initial objective - The Triumph of Good vs Evil ?

Of course Noah lived to 950. Prior the flood the earth was covered in clouds, which is stated in the Bible and supported by scientific environmental theories. It blocked the Suns radiation. Factor in the gene pool getting more and more corrupt with every copy made, it makes sense. Fits right into the ages of people written through the thousands of years the letters of the Bible were written.

So people five thousand years ago lived to nearly a thousand years old. Well how come there is no record of Egyptian pharaohs living to even one hundred years.

You didn't read his post or have no idea of the timeline of history.

So yes, God's creation can wipe out mankind, and ultimately we can point to the Creator and say, "If you had not created, none of this would have happened. It's all your doing." What we cannot do is manufacture a God who points a magic wand at people from time to time and zaps them out of pure pique.

Pure pique is the exact sentiment given as the cause of the flood and for the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah.

According to the story God was annoyed, angry, and exasperated that the world of people that he gave life to had used that life to debase themselves and others and had degenerated into violent and irrational subhuman perversions of his evolutionary intent and purpose for people to rise above the level of vicious unthinking wild beasts..

I'm sure that pique doesn't come close to the disappointment that any intelligent being would have felt.

It could be seen as an act of mercy that such a society was destroyed, the madness, violence, injustice, and suffering ended, in the same way that the reality of physical death itself, the permanent end of physical suffering, can be seen as merciful, not cruel.

Actually we clearly do have to assume people are misinterpreting it, based on the number of interpretations of it, how many of them can actually be true? The reality is that some 99.999% of the Christianity must be interpreting it badly, as there aren't enough people who interpret it the same.

The problem with Protestantism is that everyone can interpret it, and the problem with Catholicism is that less people interpret it and tell others what to think and these people either obey, ignore, or think for themselves but don't tell anyone, or simply don't understand.

How do you know God is an animated being? Who told you? Why do you believe them?

What people need to do is less interpreting and more studying. It is essential that study include the historical, cultural, and languages of the time. The reason Catholics do not present new, modern interpretations is because care has been taken to preserve the original interpretations of the Apostles and other authors of the New Testament. The original interpretations is what is taught and passed down. This taught me that in regards to the Old Testament to read what Rabbis down through the ages have taught--the farther back the Rabbi, the better.

I was a tot when I began reading/listening to a children's Bible. I determined that I just didn't want to read about people who had experiences of God, I wanted that experience myself. Took a lot of seeking, knocking, asking--but God can be found and how He works in one's life can be identified. Others before testified there is a God who cares. I set out to confirm that testimony for myself. It has been confirmed. Even so, I still benefit a lot, and I have a great interest in hearing and reading about other people's experiences of God.

Of course Noah lived to 950. Prior the flood the earth was covered in clouds, which is stated in the Bible and supported by scientific environmental theories. It blocked the Suns radiation. Factor in the gene pool getting more and more corrupt with every copy made, it makes sense. Fits right into the ages of people written through the thousands of years the letters of the Bible were written.

So people five thousand years ago lived to nearly a thousand years old. Well how come there is no record of Egyptian pharaohs living to even one hundred years.

Egyptian civilisation began in around 3500bc but the bible stories were first written down in about 1400bc.
This means the Egyptians were documenting their culture 2000 years before the bible was first written.

Egyptian civilisation began in around 3500bc but the bible stories were first written down in about 1400bc.
This means the Egyptians were documenting their culture 2000 years before the bible was first written.

Read his post then and comeback with the correct timeline.

What people need to do is less interpreting and more studying. It is essential that study include the historical, cultural, and languages of the time. The reason Catholics do not present new, modern interpretations is because care has been taken to preserve the original interpretations of the Apostles and other authors of the New Testament. The original interpretations is what is taught and passed down. This taught me that in regards to the Old Testament to read what Rabbis down through the ages have taught--the farther back the Rabbi, the better.

I was a tot when I began reading/listening to a children's Bible. I determined that I just didn't want to read about people who had experiences of God, I wanted that experience myself. Took a lot of seeking, knocking, asking--but God can be found and how He works in one's life can be identified. Others before testified there is a God who cares. I set out to confirm that testimony for myself. It has been confirmed. Even so, I still benefit a lot, and I have a great interest in hearing and reading about other people's experiences of God.

Do you think Catholics try and preserve the old, or they've just found a convenient place to stop? I mean, they broke off from the Orthodox Church.

Original interpretations might have been wrong too. I mean, did people not view things differently? Even the Bible has different views of the same thing.

How do you know there is a God who cares? Have you see the problems in the world. Is that from a God who cares?

My voice never listen to me I will eat alone my food and bible are ruttled because this how eating through will take my belief to him I am sorry but Jesus doesn't exist.

My voice never listen to me I will eat alone my food and bible are ruttled because this how eating through will take my belief to him I am sorry but Jesus doesn't exist.

It seems probable that Jesus did exist, because people were willing to die rather than recant Christianity in the time of Nero, which was within living memory of the time of Jesus.

But I never will Jesus to exist and he does no exist because The Devil is our God if he is alone with all evil and goodness. Even Allah have difficult to exist because he are Anti Christian and Anti Ateist and Anti America he is moslem or his addepts are moslem and they doesn't like ateist and America and the extremist doesn't like Christian.

The real Allah are all three Anti Christian, Ateist and America.

Maybe he does not exist as some Jesus.

Forum List

Back